Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fan Character Discussion

Erm the only fan character I can think of of mine would be my Tideborn from PWI
    Her name (both the character and in-game) is MzTeacake, female assassin

Weasyl
    N/A
    I have a few characters that are not related to or derived from or copied from, but inspired by the style, personality, and imagery of the band Rammstein, if that counts.

I have exactly two fancharacters that I actually consider characters as such, rather than little fun things I doodle on the side occasionally.

A fan Pokemon trainer, and a caravaner for the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles universe. Those are the only things that I think have enough creative freedom to actually make good fancharacters for. I haven't used either of them in over a year.

In general, honestly, I... Don't like fancharacters. Aside from doing art or RPing with them and fun stuff like that, you can't really... Use them for anything, and that puts me off. As they belong to the universe that inspired them which is typically copyrighted, no matter how much work you put into them or whatever, it's never really going to be considered legally 'yours' beyond being a fanwork to someone else's property.

As such, I find them a really big waste of time, especially because they cut into the time that I can use to develop my original characters and write stuff about them and their worlds and whatever that belongs solely to me. :3c

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In general, honestly, I... Don't like fancharacters. Aside from doing art or RPing with them and fun stuff like that, you can't really... Use them for anything, and that puts me off. As they belong to the universe that inspired them which is typically copyrighted, no matter how much work you put into them or whatever, it's never really going to be considered legally 'yours' beyond being a fanwork to someone else's property.

As such, I find them a really big waste of time, especially because they cut into the time that I can use to develop my original characters and write stuff about them and their worlds and whatever that belongs solely to me. :3c
    You said it about FCs. And this is why one of my friends doesn't like RPing with me anymore, she got into fandoms rather than using her creativity.

Anyway, I still use my Team Rocket and Pokemon fancharacters, some of which I had since what, 1998? Of course much more developed, and doing a mock nuzlocke comic with them. I enjoy using them, but certainly not to the extent of my original shit, for reasons quoted above. Alas, Rocket Grunt Matsuo, as much as I love your perverted lazy-ass, your series still belongs to Nintendo.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Actually this isn't necessarily true, Doujinshi are basically Fan-fiction manga, which can be published and people really love to read fanfictions, which help build your renown, but i agree they are more fun to be used with Role-playing. Which in itself is nice to do for fun, and entertainment.

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

Quote Originally Posted by Uini View Post
    I think I did that with my first "sonic" fan character, and ironically I still keep him as an original character that I rarely draw. Do you have any other characters though?
    The only fan characters I really made were Sonic characters. I used to be completely and utterly obsessed with it, it was pretty much the thing that absorbed my highschool career.

I tried making a Spyro fanfic that took place a few hundred years after the first game but none of the content went anywhere. I left the forum I was on so I didn't see a reason to continue when I was just doing it for e-penis points.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    Actually this isn't necessarily true, Doujinshi are basically Fan-fiction manga, which can be published and people really love to read fanfictions, which help build your renown, but i agree they are more fun to be used with Role-playing. Which in itself is nice to do for fun, and entertainment.
    Both doujinshi and pay-to-read fanfiction can get you sued for copyright infringement, though-- even if companies don't often go after it. The point still stands that that's nothing a legitimate publisher would touch without heavy HEAVY alterations like that 50 Shades of Horrible series at which point it's no longer a fanwork and as such does not count.

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Interesting opinion!!! While copyright holders do reserve the right to call a cease and desist on something that would taking profits away from them, I hardly think they'll waste their time stopping a person from using a fan designed character to convey and alternate story with their characters. People are able to sell doujinshi easily in japan because of how loose some of the copyright laws are, people legit make a living of it. In America, copyright holders are anal about their profits and can take legal action on someone trying to profit from something that they created, but that's only in cases of people actually legit trying to make a profit from someone elses work. This is also why fan work is usually free to the public in the the states.

Fan characters don't always have to be constricted to the universe that they're from, yanno. =) I've made fan characters that are constricted to their worlds and some that can be put in their own. A good example from me would be 2 women I originally created for the Megaman X series, ones an operator and another is a robotics engineer. With that alone, its broad enough purpose for them to easily be used as original ideas. My latest character is a woman in the Rayman Origin's universe that serves as a pseudo-nymph with a giant bubble staff. I also decided to make her (in a original sense) a jungle/forest dwelling nature girl who does very well by self. Even with my ex sonic character, her personality and story had drifted beyond the sonic universe years ago. All it took was some resigning and she's pretty much an original concept now.

I personally don't find it a waste of time seeing that it can be beneficial and help with the creating process, as long as you're looking to be flexible and creative enough to make something of your characters. =)

I used to have one (or two, I guess).

One was just literally a Tails recolor with only one tail and a different hue of yellow. A year or so later (this was back around 2005/2006, just to note), I revised the character to be more of a fursona. Changes that I made were his fur color (now had blue/light blue) and clothing (wore a red shirt under a green buttoned shirt). Year or two later, changed his gender to female and I pretty much just stopped using the character at around 2008.

Personally, I don't mind fan characters as long as they're not recolors, Mary Sues/Gary Stus, or whatnot. The best example I can come up with, by using Gundam 0079, is maybe creating a mid-20s Zeon pilot who only joined the military to pay for his college fees and for his poor family (who never encounters any of the main characters). Not saying they should be that bland but that's just what I wrote.

Also, it is possible to reuse a fan character for an original story. It's just that you'll have to make sure you change a few things if possible (Pokemon FC's (Fan Character) birthplace, Zelda FC's race, etc). You know, so that way you avoid any copyright issues and all that. In contrast, fan characters of, say, Clerks or Chasing Amy should have a very easy transition from being a fan character to an original character. Other then that, their personality, name, appearance, skill, etc shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Sorry if there's something that doesn't make sense. Hopefully everything is made clear.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    If creating a new region and 100+ Pokemon counts, then that's the only thing I do nowadays. I'd rather create my own characters to be honest. It's more rewarding.