Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fan Character Discussion

  1. #1
    DESTROYER OF WORLDS Uini's Avatar
    Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Groan Zone
    Posts
    142

    Fan Character Discussion

    I thought if this would be added to fandom thread, but this seems to come off as a different topic, so here goes!

    Fan characters! Do you have any?
    How do you feel about fan characters?
    Harmful or Helpful to artistic growth?

    Anything really I just want to start a new topic.

    Personally (and embarrassingly) I have several fan characters from different series. Many of which I haven't touched in ages. I enjoy drawing them from time to time, but I do sometimes urge myself to draw them in a little more original sense instead of copying a style.

    I've made plenty of Sonic fan characters. Megaman characters, Koopa kids, pokemon variations and some Rayman stuff.

    Do any of you guys have characters you want to share?

  2. #2
    I have a bunch of fan OCs stacked up over the many years I spent roleplaying across many different forums in my teens. Legend of Zelda and Sonic OCs are probably the most numerous, though many from the former are based on archetypes of characters I play that bleed through to other, less fandom-based RPs. I like taking an idea, be it previously used by you or brand new, and fitting it into an existing fictional world. In RPs it creates an adhesive that brings characters and people together into a common backdrop. I'm for 'em.

  3. #3
    Retired Staff Tiger's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    grrl
    Posts
    1,287
    I have my own Star Fox fan team : Tiger (not me, a diff one), Judd the sugar glider, Murray the schnauzer, and Ben the serval.

  4. #4
    DESTROYER OF WORLDS Uini's Avatar
    Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Groan Zone
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
    I have a bunch of fan OCs stacked up over the many years I spent roleplaying across many different forums in my teens. Legend of Zelda and Sonic OCs are probably the most numerous, though many from the former are based on archetypes of characters I play that bleed through to other, less fandom-based RPs. I like taking an idea, be it previously used by you or brand new, and fitting it into an existing fictional world. In RPs it creates an adhesive that brings characters and people together into a common backdrop. I'm for 'em.
    I use to RP with my Megaman fc all the time. I loved it and it brought more depth into the series itself. I'm not too familiar with group RP's using my character but it seems like its really really fun! I love the idea that it can bring a number of people together in the same universe though!

  5. #5
    I used to have a ton of Sonic fan characters that I'd give elemental powers to. Eventually, I took a ton of ideas from old fanfics and made original stuff out of them.

    When I was 9, I made my first fan character and she "followed" me everywhere. I never drew her, or at least if I did, I never put images online, and she was the last one I let go of. Aside from being a fan char, she was a coping mechanism that gave me someone to talk to and contemplate deep subjects with in private. I kept that up until I was 18.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  6. #6
    Resident Khajiit Ibuuyk's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Trois-Rivières, Québec
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,250
    My murrsona is a Khajiit, does that make him a TES fan character?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Uini View Post
    I use to RP with my Megaman fc all the time. I loved it and it brought more depth into the series itself. I'm not too familiar with group RP's using my character but it seems like its really really fun! I love the idea that it can bring a number of people together in the same universe though!
    It's really great when the characters in an RP forum based on a game, book, etc. end up making the world their own and taking it in a new direction. I miss my RPing days, but my muse just isn't in it--not that it's into much at all these days, anyway. I really hope littlerock and I get another person who is interested in a group LoZ RP on here (or for anyone to start an RP, really, I'm too nervous about starting something only to have it not go anywhere at all).

  8. #8
    DESTROYER OF WORLDS Uini's Avatar
    Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Groan Zone
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    My murrsona is a Khajiit, does that make him a TES fan character?
    If its based on an existing series or something I guess. <: Do you have any others?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    I used to have a ton of Sonic fan characters that I'd give elemental powers to. Eventually, I took a ton of ideas from old fanfics and made original stuff out of them.

    When I was 9, I made my first fan character and she "followed" me everywhere. I never drew her, or at least if I did, I never put images online, and she was the last one I let go of. Aside from being a fan char, she was a coping mechanism that gave me someone to talk to and contemplate deep subjects with in private. I kept that up until I was 18.
    I think I did that with my first "sonic" fan character, and ironically I still keep him as an original character that I rarely draw. Do you have any other characters though?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
    It's really great when the characters in an RP forum based on a game, book, etc. end up making the world their own and taking it in a new direction. I miss my RPing days, but my muse just isn't in it--not that it's into much at all these days, anyway. I really hope littlerock and I get another person who is interested in a group LoZ RP on here (or for anyone to start an RP, really, I'm too nervous about starting something only to have it not go anywhere at all).
    At least does the community promote fleshing out something original from the series and not just "link wearing black" or "zelda's long lost sister"?

  9. #9
    .__. My only fan-character is my Pokemon trainer who I've never drawn but I plan to.
    Eventually.

    I'm serious guys, I totally will.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Uini View Post
    IAt least does the community promote fleshing out something original from the series and not just "link wearing black" or "zelda's long lost sister"?
    My experience with fandom-based RP forums has been that canon characters and carbon-copies of said canon characters are not allowed at all. All fan OCs or nothing. People who play those annoy the ever-loving hell out of me. >_> I used to have someone who would insist on RPing as Link or Dark Link and his characterizations were terrible.

    I tend to prefer a grandiose, original story thrown on the well-known backdrop of the original material, with original characters as individual cogs and gears making the machine run as smoothly as can be. Throw in enemies and situations inspired by but not directly-copied from the source material and build up the "new" backstory as the characters play along and create their own unique storylines and develop, then move on to a peaceful period after a fantastic climax. Unfortunately I've rarely (never? I don't remember one) been able to play out the stories fully since the forums I ran died or I or others lost interest in general. u_u

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •