Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Fan Character Discussion

Reconsiders to make some FAN OC of Red XIII from Final Fantasy 7 and Ronso from Final Fantasy X :3 because they are my favorite characters in games

Weasyl
    Flygon
    My account name should say it all. Except, it didn't start out that way.

Long story short, I got the account name, and several years down the road, a Flygon character followed, and has had brief appearances here-and-there since. But it's not exactly practical to make a character out of something that has no defining features.

Weasyl
    tapeworm
    I haven't really had any fancharacters until I joined the homestuck fandom. I still only have a few though, but I want to make a comic or something about them. I love the idea of fancharacters, they're just so varied despite being based off of a certain universe.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    My oldest character I have is a Pokemon FC from 1999, my young young childhood days. He was originally just a Team Rocket grunt dating my horrendous Marysue character and I didn't look at him much. I trashed the sue and revamped him a little; now he's a harmless, stupid grunt with a Jenny fetish to be ironic.

Other than that, I can't say I've actually had a legitimate fancharacter since. My friends either ask me to roleplay canon characters, or the roleplay is Fallout related which sort of makes your player an OC from the start.

Oh, boy.

I used to have a few F-Zero fan characters, but most of them spun off into original characters after a while. I never really thought about the concept for years, and I kinda rolled my eyes at it when I was into 'Mass Effect'. Namely, I had created a couple for fan fic purposes (better than shoehorning a canon character into a role they weren't made for) but they were largely kept off to the background. Otherwise, I was of a mind that 'Why would I want to read a fic about characters I don't know/care about?'

Then I got into Green Lantern and created a couple "Fan Lanterns". Mostly for fun, just to tool around with some designs/concepts (i.e. a Xudarian Red Lantern, a male Star Sapphire), but then they kinda took on lives of their own and I guess some people who follow me on Tumblr like them, or at least, put up with them, lmao. I draw them mostly for fun, and given how large and varied the GL series is, I don't see any harm in it. *shrug*

I think the key point is really doing the research of the series in question and paying close attention to the 'acceptable parameters'. I don't label every FC a Self-Insert (or Mary Sue/Gary Stu, if you prefer those terms), because there are quite a few I've come across that believably fit into an established universe. But with all things, it's usually a case of Sturgeon's Law, or 'A couple rotten apples spoil the whole barrel'. Eh.

Uh, I have a couple fan characters here and there. But I don't really do much with them..

I have an Ao no Exorcist fan character, a few MLP FiM ones, and a few pokemon fan characters here and there.

I personally do not mind fan characters, and I don't find it harmful towards the fandom or the artists. In my view it's just another way to branch out and show creativity, even if it's partially based off something else~
    My occupation is to be irrelevant.

Can't say I have my own fancharacters no.

Fancharacters are generally, imo, a waste of time and generally uncreative. I think it's fine to draw in the style of a show you like from time to time and play around with it, but when a person becomes kinda obsessive and their main "OC" is a green charizard or something it's kinda sad. I just don't see the point most of the time, I think people should come up with their own thing. This world needs more, original, interesting, unique characters (I dont mean sparkle wolves) that people can relate to.. Not recoloured sonic pics and more add-ons to the endless swarm of lion king characters that are somehow related to Nala's great uncle steve or whatever.

I think they can be damaging to the artist if the artist ONLY draws fancharacters, all the time. I think if someone has a fancharacter they draw on occasion that's fine, it may even help them improve drawing in other styles. Which, personally, I think it's important to be able to be flexible in one's style if you want to be say, an animator for example. It can be damaging to get stuck in a particular style either which way. If you only ever draw sonic characters, your style will be reflected by that, and may even lead to your style just BECOMING the sonic style. What I'm saying is, it's just important not to loose your voice when drawing fanart or fancharacters, because what you have is unique! =)

Quote Originally Posted by kyan View Post
    Can't say I have my own fancharacters no.

Fancharacters are generally, imo, a waste of time and generally uncreative. I think it's fine to draw in the style of a show you like from time to time and play around with it, but when a person becomes kinda obsessive and their main "OC" is a green charizard or something it's kinda sad. I just don't see the point most of the time, I think people should come up with their own thing. This world needs more, original, interesting, unique characters (I dont mean sparkle wolves) that people can relate to.. Not recoloured sonic pics and more add-ons to the endless swarm of lion king characters that are somehow related to Nala's great uncle steve or whatever.

I think they can be damaging to the artist if the artist ONLY draws fancharacters, all the time. I think if someone has a fancharacter they draw on occasion that's fine, it may even help them improve drawing in other styles. Which, personally, I think it's important to be able to be flexible in one's style if you want to be say, an animator for example. It can be damaging to get stuck in a particular style either which way. If you only ever draw sonic characters, your style will be reflected by that, and may even lead to your style just BECOMING the sonic style. What I'm saying is, it's just important not to loose your voice when drawing fanart or fancharacters, because what you have is unique! =)
    I agree with this. Even though I have a few fan chars myself, they're more like something I did in the moment. They don't really stay around for too long I noticed. My fursona used to be a mutated hybrid of Pokemons but then I started going out of my comfort zone and now she's a jackal/dragon (a "unique" type of dragon I created). I debated about turning her into a jackal vampire to make it simpler but I'm considering just leaving her the way she is. All I can do is work the kinks out and I got a little off topic, I'm sorry!

The point I was making was that fan chars seem to be the starting point for everyone who gets inspired somehow. And then you start developing your own awesome ideas from time to time and try to make it more original and fun for you. I believe fan chars are only deemed harmful when you start obsessing and staying with that style or those types of characters. When progression is halted because of something like this then it becomes a problem.

Weasyl
    Kelly
    I have tons and tons of oc's / fan characters myself and some have turned out to be mary-sues while others I've been proud of. Of course though I am still working on a lot of them to make them better since I roleplay on tumblr a lot. Here are some fandoms I have oc's for.

-Legend Of Zelda (Skyward Sword & Wind Waker)
    -Hellsing
    -Naruto
    -Lion King
    -Creepypasta

Weasyl
    BlackStatic
    Does taking original characters and appropriating them to certain fandoms count?