Thread: Feedback!

Feedback!

Okay, another thread I threatened to start. Again, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

When you write something - do you send it out to friends slash close-ones for feedback before letting the general public read it?

I'm asking, as this came up on the one thing I've finished and am happy with -
    I sent it out to about 6 or 7 folks, wanting feedback - what they thought, any issues, etc.
    I heard back from one of them. The others never replied to the email. I bugged them only one time after that, and got pretty much non-committal answers. ("Oh, yeah, and I'll send an email as soon as I finish work today.", etc.)

So I'm curious if (A) This is normal, or (B) I should interpret this as "It really needs so much work that I can't be bothered to type it all up." (I'd like to include a (C) It was so freakin' fantastic I had an inkgasm on my desk! but I'd like to think I'm not that full of myself.)

Thoughts?

Oh, and this story I may put up, if people promise to tell me the good and bad about it.
    Last edited by coyttl; 10-28-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Slepping errors.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui View Post
    Many times I'm the first person to comment and the authors are utterly surprised that I have took the trouble at all.
    I can attest to this

I never send it to people I know, I don't ask anybody to read anything. Some things went straight to the trash bin without being touched by human eyes. (Sometimes I admit it was for the best.)

HOWEVER, I have some experience reading and commenting on literature stuff here on Weasyl, and what I have seen is that nobody reads anything. Many times I'm the first person to comment and the authors are utterly surprised that I have took the trouble at all. So, though you probably know your friends better than I do, my ignorant bet still is that they haven't read it whole and are embarrassed to admit.

And, if you'd be so kind to share your tale with us, I promise I'll read it and tell you what I think (unless it involves princess celestia and bdsm. gosh, i'm still trying to forget i read that fanfic). I'm sure it can't be worse than some of kobold stories I've written and deleted.
    Interesting - this would be the first thing I wrote (that I felt I completed, and felt good about), and figured I'd like input from friends. I find it .. curious you don't send it to friends - I expected my friends to read it and tell me about it.

But after reading what you say, and -
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybby View Post
    I can attest to this
    Now at least I'm not depressed about not hearing anything back. (Just er, sad that they probably never read it.)

(unless it involves princess celestia and bdsm. gosh, i'm still trying to forget i read that fanfic)
    I will admit - I don't even know who that is. Probably for the better.

I'll go ahead and post it - though it may be a couple days - I use some odd formatting that I'm not sure will translate over here.

Thanks!
    -M.

I may sound loud and extrovert in the safety of an online forum, but the truth is that I'm anxious and insecure. I'm terrified of what other people would think of what I write. So, I'd rather not bug buddies with my scribbles, especially if they're native speakers. (and even more so if they're pros like Tybby)

As for my meatspace friends and comrades, well, they don't read fiction in English.
    Huh. See, my friends know how strange I am. I also consider my writing rather personal, so I would only trust to hear opinions from my friends.

And there was much rejoicing! 8)
    "..yay.."

Well, I tried to upload it, but apparently, my Google Docs isn't compatible or some such with Weasyl. Waiting to hear back on the other thread in the forum here.

--M

Weasyl
    WildOak
    Some people just don't have the time, but feel bad about admitting it after being asked. Or they might think they'll have time later, but it doesn't happen. Yeah, it's annoying.

Sometimes, I don't have the time either. When someone sends me something, or I come across some writing on weasyl the first thing I look at is how many pages it is. I may have time to read a 4-page story but not an 8-page story. But if someone asks me, I find time for that person.

Some people also might not be interested in critiquing, or don't know how. Ask your friends if they are interested in reading and critiqing your stories. Maybe you can narrow down your mailing list to just the ones who are interested, and have a better idea of how many replies to expect.

Hey guys.

okay, strangely, the embed started working. All by itself. One of my attempts at uploading the story finally 'took'. I did nothing, and CWP (CatWithPen) commented on it which surprised the heck out of me. So, feedback's appreciated! There are a couple grammar and errors that I fixed in my master copy, but for some reason now Google Docs won't let me edit the embedded file. D'oh.

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/244593/kyran-s-city

Cheers!
    -Mike