Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: College?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by obliviousally View Post
    I've been trying to feel out the strictness of it, but I don't know many VCD students and most incoming freshman, well, they're able to afford Macbooks (if they don't already have them). It's a really frustrating situation because we're an Apple campus in a way, as we have an Apple store in the bookstore. Sure, we sell non-Apple laptops, but they're few and far between.

    I've expressed my displeasure with the requirements to the advisors in that department, explaining that a PC with the same required specs is nearly identical to a Macbook and there is absolutely zero reason to require one for classes. 'Industry standard' doesn't hold up when every program that used to be in Apple exclusive is now either available for both platforms OR, there's an equivalent that's just as good. Buuuut, I don't think the sense and logic is getting through to them.

    WHAT'S WORSE (now I'm rambling). The 2D Composition classes now REQUIRE an iPad. Not just a tablet in general. It can't be any other brand. It has to be an iPad. Reasons? Same as above. 'Industry standard'.
    Ouch, that's harsh. I would suggest just dual installing a Mac OS alongside a Windows partition, or something like that.

  2. #12
    I dropped out, too much work, and I can learn to draw online without all the anime-hating art teachers/students and actual going into a building with hundreds of "normal" people.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  3. #13
    Senior Shane's Avatar
    Weasyl
    shane
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Posts
    122
    My first year of college begins this August. I'll be attending Tidewater Community College in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
    sometimes I wish for falling
    wish for the release
    wish for falling through the air
    to give me some relief

    because falling's not the problem;
    when i'm falling, i'm in peace.
    it's only when i hit the ground
    it causes all the grief

  4. #14
    Junior Brynja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by obliviousally View Post
    I'm a student at Kent State University right now. Still undecided because I refuse to purchase a REQUIRED Macbook to be in the VCD program. Probably going to end up doing something computer-y elsewhere or maybe Fine Arts. Who knows.

    WHAT'S WORSE (now I'm rambling). The 2D Composition classes now REQUIRE an iPad. Not just a tablet in general. It can't be any other brand. It has to be an iPad. Reasons? Same as above. 'Industry standard'.
    I had considered going to Kent, but if they're going to make students buy overpriced bricks.... ಠ_ಠ How would you rate the school itself? I keep hearing bad things about Kent, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who's actually there.

  5. #15
    Senior Saiko's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Saiko
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    134
    I'll be off to Ole Miss in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to start. ^.^

  6. #16
    Sophomore Matt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Matt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    409
    I'm a senior in college. I like it. It's been nice. I'm starting the application process to go to grad school for linguistics right now. It's rather intimidating, especially since I had such trouble with higher education for so long. My merits are going to have to be framed in potential and trajectory rather than G.P.A., and that's going to be a hard sell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    I dropped out, too much work, and I can learn to draw online without all the anime-hating art teachers/students and actual going into a building with hundreds of "normal" people.
    I'm curious. What kind of anime hatred did you experience?
    Look at all the fun we're having.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynja View Post
    I had considered going to Kent, but if they're going to make students buy overpriced bricks.... ಠ_ಠ How would you rate the school itself? I keep hearing bad things about Kent, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who's actually there.
    As far as I know, the VCD department is really the only place that has this requirement and, like was discussed, it MAY be circumvent-able, I just haven't really pushed it all that much. I do like Kent, but I'm also a local (born and raised in NE Ohio and moved to Kent about three years ago), so the school is just part of the town sometimes to me. XD We have a great fashion program and a pretty solid art program - VCD included. The people here are great and, while it is a small town, it's adjacent to three larger cities (Cleveland, Akron, Canton).

    We get a lot of bad press because of 'typical' college students, more often than not, which are a fraction of the whole student population. Last year, there were riot police at College Fest because people got too drunk and started throwing bottled and harassing the police officers - this was confined to one stretch of road on a block. Recently, there was that kid who 'threatened' to shoot up the university - which I think was entirely overblown on everyone's part and was likely one kid venting his displeasure at the university.

    I don't think Kent is any better or worse than most colleges in the area (except Youngstown State - it's definitely better than YSU and I wouldn't wish living in Youngstown on anyone). It's nice if you want a smaller town to live in for your college years, as well. If you want a 'city' experience, Akron or Cleveland is a better bet.

    I'm really bad at going OH OUR ACADEMICS BLAH BLAH because I am still undecided, but I don't hear a whole lot of complaints outside of typical college woes and struggles that everyone faces. I like Kent, myself, and I love the city, so I'd give it a thumbs up. XD
    drawing and graphicsblackacres pipedreams furaffinity deviantart
    roleplay and writingraggedbreath charahub insanejournal

    avatar by loadedpistol of furaffinity

  8. #18
    Premium User kingcrowned's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Clambo
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54
    Planning on two years of community college to up my credits... stressed to hell trying to get in all the paperwork before my time runs out. Unfortunately, the people I need to help me fill out the forms and get the correct tax information done are not being very helpful. :<

    After that, off to Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. Though it's a couple years off, so who knows if I'll change my mind by then. XD

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm a senior in college. I like it. It's been nice. I'm starting the application process to go to grad school for linguistics right now. It's rather intimidating, especially since I had such trouble with higher education for so long. My merits are going to have to be framed in potential and trajectory rather than G.P.A., and that's going to be a hard sell.
    So you're going to U of M too? Nice.

  10. #20
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    I'll be starting at Minot State University in a couple weeks.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •