Weasyl
    vasvadum

Google Drive Composition Method = Not good

Deleting the composer to tell people to use google is not a very good idea. If people were to use this for sexual stories, their entire lives on google would be banned by trolls. Sexual content isn't allowed on google anywhere even if it's in a story, and a troll simply has to click report and the user's account, email, every single thing they own on google, will be bannished.

Just thought I'd give my input on deleting the composer and telling people to use that method. Open Office is a free alternative for writing stories though if your system can handle Open Office documents.
    This signature is a lie.

I'll ask a dumb question -

Can't you make something on the drive 'private'? (I have my entire phone backed up with it, and as far as I know, noone's ever downloaded the files.) Or - since i'm not familiar with the composition thing here - are you required to make it public to upload it?

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    The end-goal is to support Markdown for all submissions and comments. Google Drive is a stopgap measure.

An OpenOffice converter would be a good thing, but is a distraction at this point in time. Also, the FUD about trolls getting your Google account cleaned out is not really appreciated - this is how harmful rumors start.
    Last edited by catalepsy; 10-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Okay,
    I'm a little confused. Looking at the 'help' on the Google Drive Embed (https://www.weasyl.com/help/google-drive-embed), it mentions a 'Publish to the web..' link under "File..".

I have no such link on a Word doc. I DO have - and only if the security of the file is set to 'Public', an "Embed..". would this be the link to use? (I'm asking, but am trying it anyways..)

Edit: Nope. All I get is a generic 'Whoops! An unexpected error occurred and your request could not be fully processed.'.
    Last edited by coyttl; 10-31-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    When you post a Gdoc to the site, you get an error even though it successfully works.

But yes, trolls can have your Google accounts banned if they report your documents, from what I understand. As it has been stated somewhere on the TOS of GDrive, you can not have any sexual content whatsoever on there and there is a report button for every item on Google drive. Setting it to private doesn't matter because once you click publish, the story will be visible anywhere you use the publish link at, everyone can see it.

Since I use my Google for everything, financial and life important things, I can't have this happen. So I wanted to be extra cautious about what I do with my account. If it indeed isn't possible for a troll to report your stories for inappropriate content, then I'd like to see the proof of this.
    This signature is a lie.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Where are you getting your information about the Google Drive terms of service?

According to the currently posted abuse guidelines the only prohibited *written* content is that which contains sexually explicit material involving children or animals. Writing is treated separately from images and video.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Where are you getting your information about the Google Drive terms of service?

According to the currently posted abuse guidelines the only prohibited *written* content is that which contains sexually explicit material involving children or animals. Writing is treated separately from images and video.
    I looked over it myself, and I wouldn't put anything adult on Google unless I had a lawyer saying that your analysis of it is correct. My own hunch is that furry = animal from their perspective.

Weasyl
    mwalimu
    Quote Originally Posted by Irbisgreif View Post
    I looked over it myself, and I wouldn't put anything adult on Google unless I had a lawyer saying that your analysis of it is correct. My own hunch is that furry = animal from their perspective.
    I can confirm that there are people who think that way. My ex-wife was one of them. She considered any furry art or literature that had adult content to be bestiality. I tried multiple times to explain why it's not, furries are sentient and able to consent, and so forth, and she basically dismissed my arguments saying that to her they're the same thing. We don't know who at Google might be responsible for enforcing their TOS or where they might stand on the question, but just knowing there are people who think that way I wouldn't want to risk my Google account on it.