Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: NaNoWriMo

Weasyl
    N/A

NaNoWriMo

Yeah I know it's not until November but it's two weeks away so why not discuss it and use this thread as a reminder? :3

Anyhoo, National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) is November 1-30. The goal is to complete a nice little novel by the end. I tried it last month but got so busy...I didn't finish ;~;

I have a different goal for myself though. Since I can't do one giant epic, I might as well make all of my submissions stories or poems or some kind of literature related until the end of the month. I know it's not what the goal is however some writing is better than none, right?

So who else is going to participate?
    Are you going to write a novel or just do a method similar to mine?
    Have you participated before? If so, how did that turn out?
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

I'm gonna be participating this November :3 I'm gonna be trying my best to get a 50k novel done. This'll be my first time trying to complete it, but I've known about Nanowrimo for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui View Post
    Saying that I'd try would be a very reckless thing to do, given that (1) I'm extremely inefficient; (2) I'm not a national; (3) never respect deadlines; (4) can't write any language properly, including my mother tongue; (5) most of the ideas I have in mind lack proper plot development, complete backstories and depend on working out weird details such as whether or not the Moon would have tides if it had seas (I wish I were joking with this example).

But as I was writing this, I remembered that I could try to write down the Electronic Aljubarrota. Most of the plot is already written, it's history, I'd just need to do a little research (read: a lot, more than I'll probably be able to do). And, of course, overload my systems with Zenuel's compositions.
    I think its technically international, if you wanted to participate they'd allow it I'm sure. There isn't really any rules or moderation besides forum stuff and local events, you just start working on it and then submit it to the site to have your account there marked as a Winner if you reach 50k.

I'm participating again this year (after doing the Camp version or nothing for the last several years). I tried going the short story route with NaNo one year, and it was the hardest year I ever participated, because I had to mentally reset for every story, and I found it's a lot harder to write, say, a 3K portion of a short story than a 3K portion of a novel.

This time around, I'm aiming for a completed draft of a middle-grade fantasy (which would normally come in at around 30-50K), so I may have to tack on some short stories or freewriting to make up the difference if the novel ends before 50K.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/poetigress
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

Thanks for the reply! Indeed, now that I'm examining the rules, they seem to be open to everybody. I still haven't read all the instructions, but the goal is so far-fetched and my plot so absurd that now I'm completely obsessed with the idea of actually attempting to reach the mark. If I fail to make it (like I usually do), at least I'll be failing in the company of thousands of other people.

EDIT: (oh dear, I have no sense. No sense at all...)
    Yay~ I'm glad you decided to join up.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    haha FUCK no. If I were to just DRAFT 50K this month I'd have to write for 8 and a half hours a day, never mind editing, formatting, getting art assets etc.

Jesus christ I never understood how people can even do this month. Is this like a "I have no other obligations" thing or are y'all not sleeping

Well, all it is, is drafting -- there's no editing or anything else involved. For myself, as long as I have some clue of what's supposed to happen in a scene, I can draft 1000 words in roughly an hour, so I don't have to give up too much besides reading, TV, and some Internet time. Which is good, because my body doesn't play well with giving up sleep.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

I myself found it a perfect excuse to put one of the worst ideas I ever had into action. (yes, worse than adapting medieval crown disputes into furry sci-fi, jesus...)
    ..Holy carp. I originally read this as "adapting medieval clown disputes" and thought that was a .. funny idea.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by coyttl View Post
    ..Holy carp. I originally read this as "adapting medieval clown disputes" and thought that was a .. funny idea.
    Can we please debate the difference between Clown, Harlequin and Jester now

Like can we talk about the former two's debut in french theater and their evolution as character archetypes, and then compare the both of them to the Jester let's do that right now

Quote Originally Posted by Poetigress View Post
    Well, all it is, is drafting -- there's no editing or anything else involved. For myself, as long as I have some clue of what's supposed to happen in a scene, I can draft 1000 words in roughly an hour, so I don't have to give up too much besides reading, TV, and some Internet time. Which is good, because my body doesn't play well with giving up sleep.
    oops, thought the point was to have a finished novel of at least that length by the end of it. just drafting sounds slightly more doable but still in the range of "would have to give up daily obligations" (you draft at 5x my rate)
    Last edited by Tybby; 10-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Weasyl
    WildOak
    I'm doing it! At least in theory (meaning it's day 3 and I haven't started yet.)

I have tried writing a novel before. It didn't work out. I can't make any story After that, I decided I would write 50k worth of short stories. That worked much better. The downside of this method is that I have to come up with more than one plot, and coming up with plots is hard for me.

They way I do it is, I write until I run out of story, then start the next one. Some are really short, like under a thousand words, other may go for several thousand. I've never been able to write a predetermined length, so I decided my stories will be however long they want to be.

- - - Updated - - -

depend on working out weird details such as whether or not the Moon would have tides if it had seas.
    The moon would have tides. The gravitational pull of the Earth and sun would affect the water.

You might be interested in this: Earth's tides are a result of both the moon and the sun pulling on the water. The moon because it's close, and the sun because it's so damn big that its influence reaches all the way here. The other planets are too small, or too far away, or both. The same principle will apply to water on the moon, or any other planet.
    Last edited by catwithpen; 11-03-2013 at 06:39 PM.