Weasyl
    FibS

[Java] Getting Started

I want to get into Java, and I know if I pass the introductory "how the hell does Java work" hurdle I shouldn't have any problem understanding and exploiting further concepts.

However, I can't find a sufficient tutorial or documentation that adequately explains the language. At least, not one that is as clear and detailed as PHP's online documentation is. The official Oracle documentation is a labyrinthine mess.

Does anyone have another suggestion for a tutorial or database for learning Java?

Thank you in advance.

Ah, I remember when I first started learning programming. Unfortunately, Java has a higher learning curve in the beginning, since it is an object oriented language. I would reccomend taking a class in it.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Hrmm... admittedly I may be a weee bit late, but oh well. When I was learning Java and programming, I used this. It's a lot to read, but it worked wonderfully for me. Even better, it's downloadable; so you don't need Internet to access it.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I hate Java and avoid it at all costs, it's such a huge piece of shit compared to most other languages.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    I hate Java and avoid it at all costs, it's such a huge piece of shit compared to most other languages.
    As if we didn't need yet another reason for a This button... Java is a pain in the ass, and I try to avoid it too. :/

The TotalBeginner Java tutorial is what we used in College as an introduction. You can go through it at your own pace, and repeat it as necessary. It's a tad out of date but the UI in the latest versions of Eclipse is still fairly similar once you get started. I managed it with no help whatsoever so it's not that difficult

(And yes, it's free to use so no nasty illegal stuff. You'll need the Java 7 Runtime Environment and the Java Development Kit too from the Java/Oracle website, and obviously the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers [Not the Original one])

Here's the source site for the lessons
    And here's the direct link to the download page.

Weasyl
    Ouiji
    I'm in the process of learning it too, what are you trying to program? I'm just wanting to understand it if I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouiji View Post
    I'm in the process of learning it too, what are you trying to program? I'm just wanting to understand it if I read it.
    If you're just trying to improve your ability to read it you might want to try looking at code snippets online and try to follow them through yourself on paper. That's how we tend to do it if we get stuck on a bit. (Then run them in Eclipse and see what happens)

I've done Java commercially and studied it to an Advanced level at University.

What you need to do is learn the fundamentals of programming; as in good programming techniques, efficient programming, some basic CompSci knowledge of how it works underneath with regards to memory and threading would be beneficial, too. This is not the kind of thing you can learn on the internet and you will need to take a course or start hitting a gaggle of books.

One book I always have close to hand is "Big Java" by Cay S. Horstmann. Expensive, but by far one of the best out there.

Personally, I would hold off on learning Java and spend some time learning C or C++. These languages will not only give you a very good entrance into programming but they are also very low level, so you can actually get a feel for what the computer is doing underneath the syntax.

That's just my 2 cents.

@Ibuuyk: it's not that bad compared to actionscript used by Flash... But is there anyting that is bad compared to that?