Commission question..

This came up in a recent discussion with a friend, and since I've gotten commishes done before, but never like this, I thought I'd ask you artists..

There's a popular game out there, that uses little land tiles to complete things. ('Carcassonne', if you're *really* curious, feel free to look it up..) A friend and I were discussing making our own tiles for it. Since the edges all have to match (an edge can contain a road, nothing (farm), or city), but what's in the tile can vary. This is so if one tile has a road on the edge, and you have another tile with a road on the edge, you can lay the tiles together, and the road would 'flow' between the two tiles, connecting up. Not a hard concept, really, I just suck at describing it.

Anyways, there are extensions to the game, of course, that add some rules. They did offer some 'blank' tiles, which (I assume) you can then use to make your own tile designs. The idea came up to make some of our own custom tiles, but make them 'look' official - i.e. not a stick figure drawing that I'm capable of.

So would you, as an artist, be offended, or leery, or not want to take on a commission that essentially asked you to create some land drawings for this game that the user could use for his own game? The game's copyrighted, of course, the commission would be to try and make the design as closely resemble the style of the original, while being unique (i.e. A land feature not found in the game is a forest, for example.) Of course, the art would NOT be used for commercial reasons.

So I'm not asking for someone to commission, I'm more asking - is this something you (as an artist) WOULD consider? If NOT, why? I'd like to get a general 'feel' for it before approaching one of my artists.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I don't see why there would be a problem with that. People commission Minecraft skins and such, so this can't be too much different. It's probably different subject matter than a lot of people here are used to doing, and you want to make sure your artist knows how to do tileable squares (which is pretty easy, but requires a little thinking) and has a versatile style so they can mimic the game's art.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Provided the guidelines were clear enough, I'd have no qualms accepting something like this if I had the confidence. Particularly if it involves painting directly onto a tile (making it one-of-a-kind and thus guaranteed to be for personal use, though I don't think I'd mind even doing a digital one) and particularly as Carcassonne is super fun. :3
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    I don't see why there would be a problem with that. People commission Minecraft skins and such, so this can't be too much different. It's probably different subject matter than a lot of people here are used to doing, and you want to make sure your artist knows how to do tileable squares (which is pretty easy, but requires a little thinking) and has a versatile style so they can mimic the game's art.
    Hey Bri -
    Yeah, the style isn't difficult at all, hell, with some fancy cutting and pasting, I could probably do one myself, though it'd take a LOT longer than it'd take any competent artist.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    Provided the guidelines were clear enough, I'd have no qualms accepting something like this if I had the confidence. Particularly if it involves painting directly onto a tile (making it one-of-a-kind and thus guaranteed to be for personal use, though I don't think I'd mind even doing a digital one) and particularly as Carcassonne is super fun. :3
    My original thought - now getting into more details on what we're thinking of - thinking about getting them done digitally, to print out on stickers to place on the blank tiles they offer.