Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes

Has your art ever been rejected?

A gallery I'd entered a painting of mine into (and was super excited for) gave me a call this morning saying my piece wasn't accepted into this month's gallery. What a sad way to start the day... I was already in a bad mood, feeling burnt out from my jobs (I'd love to quit one to be a part-time artist) and from general girl mood swings. This afternoon my husband and I drove over to pick the piece up and I asked the receptionist why it hadn't been selected. She said it probably just didn't fit the "theme" the gallery manager was going for.

I was only half surprised. This is the painting I submitted. My art teachers absolutely loved it and I'm very proud of it, but it's VERY different from the area's art crowd that specializes in realist traditional paintings of farmscapes/townscapes/horses/other kitchy stuff. Not my thing! Though it was a success in many peoples' eyes, it was not allowed to hang in this gallery because of one person's opinion.

I like to think I'm forcing myself to stand out by using a completely different style and medium than everyone else in the area. That's what many of the "great" artists did- they were rejected at first but celebrated later for being ahead of their time.

I certainly do not think I'm the greatest artist in the county, and the gallery has every right to select which pieces to hang there. But has anyone else had a similar situation happen? Did you lose a contest? Been overlooked by an art teacher or director? Share your experience!

Often ;x;'
    I really do try my very best, but I guess I'm just not up to par. I try to sell art for pet sites (like Neopets, Subeta, Aywas, etc) but I'm just not good enough. The pet site "industry" can be hard to sell at too, because different sites have different styles and you (with your own style) have to match up to at least one to sell.

That is an awesome painting though! I love the shading and textures <3 That guy must not like awesomely cute things, or maybe he didn't want yours to outshine the others or something. Try not to let it get you down too much!

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Hah! I tried the pet site art thing and though fun, it isn't profitable (though nothing I'm doing right now is profitable lol) and you have to be pretty amazing at what you do.

I am 99% sure they rejected it because it doesn't have a tractor in it (this is farm country we're talking about). I'm going to the opening reception to see what they hung so I can adjust my art accordingly for the next juried show.

Woah, really? : O What site did you try to work for? Could I see what you did? (Sorry, I love pet site stuff and I get super excited over any mention of it ahah)
    But yeah, if you're looking to make a living off of selling art in that industry, you wouldn't make it (even if you were 'the top of the industry'). Some site owners actually pay decently, but for the most part, artists are way underpaid ;v;

xD Oh goodness, really? Because there isn't a tractor? That's shallow. You should have said that there's a hidden picture of a tractor.

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    Quite often; it goes with the territory.
    The main thing is to not let it discourage you.
    Without actually having spoken to the manager, speculating of the reason for the exclusion is counterproductive.

yep i have been rejected by a few companies,,ad agencies and the like but i wont stop trying,i try do my own comic book to i know im not up there with what is out there but with what i have im close,never give up on what u want keep going on one day u will get it

Yes, just this morning actually. Someone told me they weren't interested in my style when I contacted them about a commission. Such is life I suppose, but in your case that just seems silly and weird. Lovely painting, btw.

Weasyl
    Melty Cat
    Yes. But only because the gallery decided thst they wouldn't accept digitally created work all of a sudden. They were all positive as I happen to know one of the managers and they told me to get my work sent over. They obviously didn't run it by one of the curators.

Weasyl
    Arikla
    Rejection is a frequent thing. It happens. You smile, pack up the piece, and try again elsewhere. If the piece is significantly different from the local art theme, then the gallery director is right... it didn't match the theme of the show. Check over places you want to submit art to closely. If your art differs significantly from the art currently displayed you typically have three choices:
    1) Submit anyway, but expect rejection
    2) Not submit, look for a gallery or venue that matches your art style more closely
    3) Try to have enough pieces to talk to the gallery owner about a show of your own work.

Rejection is tough, especially early on. But it is usually not a personal criticism of the piece, or you. galleries try to find pieces that work together when hung. To have a room full of earth tone pieces and one florescent abstract, for example, is hard on the eyes and not typically conducive to the relaxed atmosphere many galleries try to cultivate. So they will reject pieces that don't "fit". Doesn't mean you have to change your style, as there are many galleries out there, just look for one that is more your fit. Or coffee shops! That is sometimes the exception to the rule as they can get away with hanging more irregular pieces together.

Weasyl
    WildOak
    I second Arikla's advice.

I have entered into a couple contests, no luck. With the first one, I was really a beginner and not very good yet. With the second one, I was much better; still not a "great artist" but I thought my entry was as good as some of the ones that made it, so that was disappointing and felt unfair.

After that, I submitted some artwork into the art show at a convention, and sold a couple pieces. I was very happy with that experience. Sometimes certain places work better than others.

Keep trying.