Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A group of suggestions.

Weasyl
    vasvadum

A group of suggestions.

I hope it's fine to group a large amount of my suggestions here all at once rather than spamming the forum with like 10 topics or more. Some are minor and small as well.

First off, after reading the common suggestion list, I have a few to add.
    http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/s...ggestions-List

1. Sofurry has a market page. Allowing people to advertize they are doing free art, or wanting to pay for art, or wanting to sell a slot for doing a commission and such.
    http://www.sofurry.com/market/
    If you have an account, take a look and maybe you can find a way to incorporate something similar to this on this site? Just a possibility.

2. Ability to go back and edit a story you've uploaded, like how I uploaded my stories from google documents, I copy/pasted them into the composer and uploaded them there but it deletes what you submit and you can't go back and edit to fix anything, you have to delete and start over from scratch.

3. Upload stories from a Google Documents link instead, supplying a GDoc link with the ability for Weasyl to see this publicly will take the story like that. So your story on Google Documents would have to at very least be set to allow anyone with link to view it for Weasyl to see this.

4. Option to have info on top of submission, submission image below the description, then comments on the side or below that. This kinda splits off on another thought I had so. You'll want an option while uploading submissions to set if the image is on top or not. Or maybe a profile option that does it for every submission you look at.

4a. A collapsible comment bar on the right of the submission that uses active scripts to collapse smoothly and open smoothly. This would be different from any site I know of, and allow for you to take 30 to 50% of the screen showing the submission with comments on the side or collapse it and show only the image and description with stats and buttons. I don't know if this'd be to complex to bother with, I thought I'd suggest a neat feature like this anyway. Of course, you'd want to have an option in the user settings to allow people to set it up so they see comments normally or use the collapsible bar.

5. Ability to move folders into sub folders.

6. Ability to display more than 3 folders on your user page.

7. A box for linking you f-list or RH profile on character submissions.

8. Collections need some form of custom info for everyone sharing the collection. So maybe the collections offer allows you to share the image without duplicate uploads or wasting more bandwidth, but it could allow for you to customize your own description for it, and if the guy deletes the submission, and you are the only one left in it, then it stays for you as if you submitted it. Only once everyone inside the collection has deleted the submission or left the collection, will the image be deleted from Weasyl.
    I haven't used collections yet, so I haven't gotten to try them.

[hr] <- Haha, apparently this doesn't work here.....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. Now that I've gotten that out, here is some of my old ideas from before I was on this forum.

9. Integrate Weasyl and Weasyl Forum database so no one has to re-register to use the forum. One account for both sites.

10. Copy pastable tagging system. I want to be able to copy and paste tags in and have it auto split them for me. Like youtube, if you copy and pasted "tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4" into youtube video tagging area. It would separate them all at the comma for you.

11. Color tags for submission information/description. In case someone wants to bold green who did the art and bold red the owner of the character in the art or so on so forth (just an example).

12. When editing a journal. I'd like my input box to be wider than my phone. Not 10% of my screen, but as wide as I need it like 80% of my screen or maybe a button to select how wide I want the post input box to be. Literally. I can turn my phone on it's side and it's as wide as that input box: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/te...es/wtflong.png
    I'd say make it at least LEAST 50% of the screen, shorten category and rating to the size of one of the words inside their boxes instead of taking up the entire table width, put them next to each each other to save one or 2 lines of space. Can probably put one next to both title and folder and take out 2 whole lines of wasted space after widening the edit post box to save about a million lines of space.

13. Apparently DA changed it but it used to have this large massive bottom to the site, like you do, and they used to have a way to collapse it all into about the size they have it now with a single row or 2 of important text. I think that's what's needed here.

14. Waste less space, this is what I was saying in 12, except for everything now.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/te...elessspace.png
    Though this is a much nicer way to edit than what was shown in 12. You don't need to make it take full page width like image shows, but you could either have buttons to increase width, or slightly increase the width and have the options like title and rating above it in one neat line.

15. Friends only option for journal entries maybe?

16. Mark as main character on character submissions.

17. Comment input box is a little uh. Hidden. Blending in to much.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/te...ommenthere.png
    I'd like a small outline of where the input box is, rather than an invisible outline of where it is with text telling me where to type. Even if it's just a small thin slightly differently colored line around input.

18. Remember how DA let you customize your pages and stuff? I'd love that here on Weasyl, but I do know it's a complex thing so unlikely. At least let us be able to set it up so submissions take 50% of the left and journals take 50% of the right (allowing us to change the percentages) and edit how many folders appear and such stuff like that. Maybe even letting us move profile info above submissions in case we have long journals, so that our profile info can use up some of the extra space in the left if our journal is stretching the page quite a lot.

19. Image uploader errors when you submit something with less than 2 tags. Instead of "going back" to add a new tag, it should keep the image you uploaded and ask you to add another tag so as to not waste both your bandwidth and mine re-uploading the same image a second time. In fact, it should just say in bold "You are required to have at least 2 tags to submit this image" before you even click "continue" to submit the image.

20. An area where you can submit ideas to the site, people can vote on them, and they will be organized in a manner better than forum posts that fade away into the abyss of abandon topics and forgottenness.

Well, hows that for a load of suggestions today? 20 things! Hopefully I didn't come up with stuff others already have or at least mine are unique enough to be worth posting.

---------------------- NEWish 9/30/13

21. The site submissions has 2 working links. One with words, one without. Would be nice to have an option on your profile to load submissions with or without the words. AKA if I have it set to load submissions without, every submission link in the URL bar will look like:
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/235507/
    If I have it set to load with.
    https://www.weasyl.com/submission/235507/sleeping-snake

22. In window expanding of image. Like Sofurry's "HD" viewer which is rather nice. Instead of clicking the image and loading the direct image in a new tab or refreshing the page to just the image.

23. Submission notifications should default to "edit mode" as I don't know the harm in this nor do I see why I should have to go click edit mode to remove things as I open them in new tabs. I'm sure a lot of people open new tabs with the submission list then check mark the thing they opened and remove what they viewed later. Then there's times when I remove things I don't like for sure, and leave the rest for later (in furaffinity's case) and use a grease monkey script to open all of them at the same time, adding a 3 second delay to loading the page on each one.

---------------------- NEW 10/02/13

24. Adding a bulk open option, or at least making a plugin or script that can do it so that pages are all opened but only loaded after a few seconds after the previous one so that your site isn't overloaded by people opening a lot at once.

---------------------- NEW 10/08/13

25: Picture ratings, like on SoFurry, you have the ability to rate submissions. I think that'd be a nice thing to have here. With a difference though. Half star ratings. So you can rate something 1 to 10 by clicking on one half of a star. If you hover over the first half of a star, it will be 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9. And the second half, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Understand what I'm saying?
    Last edited by Vas; 10-08-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: My favorite splitting BBC code don't work >.> <.<
    This signature is a lie.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    1. That's already on their list but they have other stuff to work on at the moment.

5. This has actually been requested many, many, MANY times.

9. I know they have a pretty good reason for not doing this. I don't remember what it is but it's there.

15. This already exists.

20. That's what forums are for. The main site is for art and the like.

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    15. Oh, there it is. I didn't notice it way down there at the bottom. Could move this to the left under the title and rating button. >.> If they don't take my rearrange suggestions.

20. No I mean a better system for suggestions, forum suggestions aren't that great. They often get ignored and abandon. Like a system that lets users thumps up or thumbs down an idea and comment on it, then a staff member can click denied, accepted, possible, pending, added for statuses on it. For example,
    http://www.google.com/moderator/ would be a good way to sorta do this.
    This signature is a lie.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Forum suggestions may be ignored and abandoned on shittier forums but the guys here actually care about making their site better so believe me when I say, they WILL take everyone's suggestions into account. Just give it time, their to-do list is already terribly long and what few technical peeps they have are already working pretty hard on making it shorter.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    charmander
    Good news: we’re rewriting the forums, so we’ll be able to bring you features like #20! Thanks for the suggestion.

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    A site where the technical staff are allowed to do something? Holy crap, it's amazing! Oh wait. Furaffinity is the only site in the world where technical staff aren't allowed to work.

A site where staff actually look at suggestions? Holy crap it's a miracle! Every suggestion I've ever made on many many sites just gets ignored to a point where I don't like giving input anymore.

Oh, added 2 new ideas. Put them in this post as well.

21. The site submissions has 2 working links. One with words, one without. Would be nice to have an option on your profile to load submissions with or without the words. AKA if I have it set to load submissions without, every submission link in the URL bar will look like:

22. In window expanding of image. Like Sofurry's "HD" viewer which is rather nice. Instead of clicking the image and loading the direct image in a new tab or refreshing the page to just the image.
    Last edited by Vas; 09-30-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: 2 new ideas added.
    This signature is a lie.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I told you the staff here cared and worked actively to make it better xD

Welcome to Weasyl.

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    23. Submission notifications should default to "edit mode" as I don't know the harm in this nor do I see why I should have to go click edit mode to remove things as I open them in new tabs. I'm sure a lot of people open new tabs with the submission list then check mark the thing they opened and remove what they viewed later. Then there's times when I remove things I don't like for sure, and leave the rest for later (in furaffinity's case) and use a grease monkey script to open all of them at the same time, adding a 3 second delay to loading the page on each one.

24. Adding a bulk open option, or at least making a plugin or script that can do it so that pages are all opened but only loaded after a few seconds after the previous one so that your site isn't overloaded by people opening a lot at once.

Will add these 2 to topic post later when I'm not feeling lazy
    This signature is a lie.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    charmander
    Regarding #21:

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    The site submissions has 2 working links. One with words, one without. Would be nice to have an option on your profile to load submissions with or without the words. AKA if I have it set to load submissions without, every submission link in the URL bar will look like:
    The title (slug) at the end of the URL is mainly supposed to give people an extra hint as to just what they’re clicking on, if it isn’t clear from the way it was linked. It’s a recent change, and soon all URLs will look like that – is it bothering you? We hadn’t really planned on making it a user setting, but if it needs to be, that can happen.

In the case of bulk opening – you mean in tabs? Yes, that would have to be a browser extension. If the reason behind this is because of the page load time (say, when just navigating back and forth), maybe we could look into preloading things. Hmm!

And if you’re just worried about overloading our servers by clicking on a bunch at once, we appreciate the thought, but don’t worry! Weasyl can handle it. Fire away. =]

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    Haha, FA can't handle squat. "Oh my god, someone opened 3 pages at once *explode for 5 minutes*

Idea 25: Picture ratings, like on SoFurry, you have the ability to rate submissions. I think that'd be a nice thing to have here. With a difference though. Half star ratings. So you can rate something 1 to 10 by clicking on one half of a star. If you hover over the first half of a star, it will be 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9. And the second half, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Understand what I'm saying?

As for bulk opening, I think it's just a nice way of doing things with the browser extension. Imagine if you have all the same users of furaffinity and if they all started bulk opening. You'd have to get better hardware to handle the amount of people all using the site as well. Sure, you can handle it now. But what if you have a lot more users?

I just like the idea of an option (the URL thing). It doesn't completely totally bother me, but sometimes I'd like to send a URL without taking a bit off the end to shorten it. If I need to tell my friend about it first, I just do that.
    This signature is a lie.