Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    FibS
    I believe that if advancement of technology continues along its current path it will mean the end of humanity, if only because humanity becomes non-human.

But I also believe that when that becomes imminent someone is going to stop it. Obviously there are already people like you and me who think that it's a problem, so when it becomes a true threat, there should be people like us ready to save the world.

The technology itself isn't the problem - it's the people using it. Lazy, shallow people who forget how to put effort into life and forget what is important.

I think that technology has reached a point to where it has been both a blessing and a curse at the same time for many different reasons. Our technological advancement has done many things to improve the lives of people throughout the world, but for every positive thing that technology has provided us there is the potential for hazardous or dangerous misuse of said technology.

I don't think technology could ever go 'too far' because technology is inanimate, it is the result of human engineering.

I think that we as humans certainly can go too far in abusing what we create, and we have done so many times, but in the end I am for technology advancing more than i am against it, even in the face of potential misuse.

Technology is great, people can get obsessive over it though and that's not healthy. But that's not the technology's fault. Before the internet or the personal computers we had television, and people would get 'glued' to that too. Before that we had the radio and people would get glued to that too. But it's not like technology releases an aura of pure crack, some people just get obsessive over it.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Technology gone too far? No way. I still have to take the damn phone out of my pocket with my own hands, then use them to operate the unlock and various apps and whatnot to make shit happen.

Until technology can read my mind and do what I want without being asked, it hasn't gone far enough.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    Technology gone too far? No way. I still have to take the damn phone out of my pocket with my own hands, then use them to operate the unlock and various apps and whatnot to make shit happen.

Until technology can read my mind and do what I want without being asked, it hasn't gone far enough.
    It's only a matter of time @w@

Given that we have all sorts of potential innovations that get suppressed either though competitors afraid an alternative will keep people from buying their products (See: Electric Cable cars, conspiracy theories about why we still have petroleum fuel) or simply never get off the ground due to lack of funding... It's still kind of sad how limited we are in terms of technological growth.

Weasyl
    Xolani
    Last edited by Xolani; 12-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Wait... people are reading newspaper on a train? And that's antisocial behaviour?

That's not antisocial. If a bunch of people wanting to simply read their newspaper in a public place in peace is antisocial, then holy crap, has that definition changed. The last time I checked, antisocial behaviour is more people actively trying to detriment society in some way through their behaviour. Quietly sitting in a seat in an orderly fashion reading a newspaper is NOT antisocial - if anything, it's simply respecting other peoples' wishes to simply be left alone .

Weasyl
    Xolani
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    Wait... people are reading newspaper on a train? And that's antisocial behaviour?

That's not antisocial. If a bunch of people wanting to simply read their newspaper in a public place in peace is antisocial, then holy crap, has that definition changed. The last time I checked, antisocial behaviour is more people actively trying to detriment society in some way through their behaviour. Quietly sitting in a seat in an orderly fashion reading a newspaper is NOT antisocial - if anything, it's simply respecting other peoples' wishes to simply be left alone .
    There's a narrative that's played out time and time again that there was once a golden era when people didn't have their iPods and smartphones to distract them from having to communicate with people in public places.

Because, you know, it's never been awkward to have the complete stranger sitting next to you on public transport launch into a tirade about "the war" or how their daughter's new piercing pisses them off.

I lie, it always has.

Yes, how DARE I go out into public and not want to speak to completely random strangers on the train? I'm only riding it because I don't own a car.