Weasyl
    Taelune

Artist's Pain - Help please?

Okay so being an Artist, and a gamer don't really mix well with the fact at an earlier point in my life I had broken my wrist for the hand I draw with. Sometimes if I draw, type, or play games too long my wrist will start to swell and I get a pain the gradually grows throughout my whole forearm, thumb, index, and ring finger all the way down to my elbow.

I was looking online for a special Cooling Gel pack for the wrist, but wanted to know your opinions first, and if these are symptoms I should have to worry about for future complications. (I'm barely 21, and my injury happened when I was 12-13ish)

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

Weasyl
    N/A
    I personally would recommend seeing a doctor rather than asking for help online. :c A doctor is the best person you can go to for this sort of thing and they can probably prescribe something for you to prevent that sort of effect from happening when you use that arm.

If a doctor isn't an option for you at the moment, this is a website I usually go to at times to determine what certain symptoms I have could lead to: http://www.webmd.com/

Also, apply ice to your swollen areas when they happen. I've been told multiple times that ice helps swelling, and from experience, it certainly does. Put ice in a ziplock bag and wrap it in paper towels, then press the bag of ice gently to the swollen areas, mainly the wrist.

I hope you fix that problem! It sounds really painful and annoying, I wouldn't be able to deal with it.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasune View Post
    I personally would recommend seeing a doctor rather than asking for help online. :c A doctor is the best person you can go to for this sort of thing and they can probably prescribe something for you to prevent that sort of effect from happening when you use that arm.

If a doctor isn't an option for you at the moment, this is a website I usually go to at times to determine what certain symptoms I have could lead to: http://www.webmd.com/

Also, apply ice to your swollen areas when they happen. I've been told multiple times that ice helps swelling, and from experience, it certainly does. Put ice in a ziplock bag and wrap it in paper towels, then press the bag of ice gently to the swollen areas, mainly the wrist.

I hope you fix that problem! It sounds really painful and annoying, I wouldn't be able to deal with it.
    My Doctor told me not to draw as much, or to take a break from electronics >.> I wasn't asking Professional help, just advise from others who experience this sorta thing. (I know a lot of people do)

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Have you tried any kind of supportive brace? After struggling in my sculpture class, I found myself wearing a thumb brace and wrist brace for a while because I hurt them when I was carving my stone piece.

Obviously my situation is far less severe than yours, but ya, try a brace when that happens, maybe it'll make the pain easier.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Have you tried any kind of supportive brace? After struggling in my sculpture class, I found myself wearing a thumb brace and wrist brace for a while because I hurt them when I was carving my stone piece.

Obviously my situation is far less severe than yours, but ya, try a brace when that happens, maybe it'll make the pain easier.
    Regular braces are okay, but I have to keep them very tight to make the pain go away, which is why I'm considering a Gel pack one instead, because the cold makes the the pain stop, but isn't messy like ice.

Weasyl
    Demu
    Agreeing with what Tiger said. Find a wrist/arm brace that supports the arm well. Take anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen to lessen swelling along with using an ice pack on the wrist for awhile to keep swelling to a minimum. These sorts of things can be helped if worked on early, but they can lead to complications later in life. So be very careful. It seems like it's already been affecting you for a long time.

Avoid using game controllers, mice/keyboards, pencils/pens, and anything that tires the wrist for awhile. Or at least lessen the usage of them drastically until you can feel the pain has mostly or completely dissipated. Otherwise you'll be at risk of worse injury later in life.

Try some hot green or ginger tea. Those work well for joint pain too. You may want to look into acupressure as well. It works surprisingly well.

If pain continues even after you've exhausted these methods, see a doctor for a more thorough examination.

Source: My mother was an EMT.

PS: Your signature inspired me.
    Last edited by Demu; 08-01-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    Agreeing with what Tiger said. Find a wrist/arm brace that supports the arm well. Take anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen to lessen swelling along with using an ice pack on the wrist for awhile to keep swelling to a minimum. These sorts of things can be helped if worked on early, but they can lea

Avoid using game controllers, mice/keyboards, pencils/pens, and anything that tires the wrist for awhile. Or at least lessen the usage of them drastically until you can feel the pain has mostly or completely dissipated. Otherwise you'll be at risk of worse injury later in life.

Try some hot green or ginger tea. Those work well for joint pain too. You may want to look into acupressure as well. It works surprisingly well.

If pain continues even after you've exhausted these methods, see a doctor for a more thorough examination.

Source: My mother was an EMT.

PS: Your signature inspired me.
    Lol, thank you, your input was very helpful! I didn't know tea helped inflammation, or that I could use Ibuprofen for more than just headaches and more showy injuries.

PS: I'm happy I inspired you! :'D