Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a separate website where I put all the commission info I think it important (I think it looks cleaner, more professional and like you really take pride in the art you offer and sort of take yourself seriously as an artist?) and tend to post that pretty much everywhere in signatures/on user profiles etc. etc. That gets me the odd commission on it's own but I also post a journal or topic in forums every now and then highlighting things I'd like to do most and I usually spark some interest :> Sometimes I might try auctioning a certain kind of commission off.

I try not to make my prices ridiculously low because of obvious reasons, I find that commissioners respect me and my art more at a more reasonable price anyway. I'd rather take one or two commissions at a fair price rather than loads that are under priced. I also don't spam people constantly reminding everyone that my commissions are open or constantly discounting b/c that's really annoying yo.

I was just coming here to ask the same question. I've advertised everywhere my little brain can think of with the results being lots of followers and very few commissions. When I'm at a con and it's easy for people to see my art at a glance I don't have a problem getting commissions, but the rest of the year they are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Hello,

This is a difficult topic. Well, honestly it is rather easy to talk about, but the answers aren't always something people want to hear.

You need to post artwork, and post frequently. I think of it like this, if a store looks like it doesn't produce much clothing or it looks like it will always be in low stock, I wouldn't shop there. So being a productive artist is very important. Posting more and creating more artwork gives you more visibility and it also shows you can handle commissions. If you are taking months to produce artwork, it can scare away people.

Gain a following, know your audience then worry about selling. People are very quick to jump into commissions because they are excited or in dire need of money. The problem is when you do so you increase the numbers of artists a person can choose from. Without having some kind of integrity for what you do, it just becomes another set of cheap labor and the more expendable you become. This is difficult for people to accept. As a customer one who looks more desperate may create the following situations

1. Cheaper work which may be a win for the customer but if you are spending a lot of time trying to please the customer and not getting paid it creates more problems and stress.
    2. Looking desperate can turn customers off. Beggars cannot be choosers. You may want that great customer to work with, but you may end up with a horrible one that will exploit you. So you need to be careful and cautious as to how you present yourself.
    3. Gaining watches is not always gaining customers. There are many people who will tell you they can't afford a commission, but a watch costs nothing. if 1 out of 10 of those watchers can afford a commission, you need to learn who they are. Your art may attract followers but that group may not have income to spend. So be aware.

Here is another difficult thing to let people know. Some people are simply not good enough to commission. This increases as more artists come and join in trying to earn commissions. This allows buyers to be picky. So there are benefits to holding back and improving your artwork and gaining more following within a year than posting 20 works getting 100 followers and expecting people to commission you. This is a difficult topic because yes there are artists that may be of lesser quality getting work and obviously this is subjective. However many of them may have had a longer presence online. Some may just cater to certain fetishes. Some may have great personalities that encourage people to buy.

When it comes down to it, you can't look like you aren't doing what you love. You should be enjoying artwork, and if it looks like you are more worried about money, it is harder for those to respect you and want to buy from you. You don't show a love for what you like doing.

Not creating drama is another difficult topic. If you come off controversial or show very strong views that can offend people, word can get out quickly and tarnish chances of people buying your work. It can be rather difficult in social media where it's easy to express an opinion about a group of people but the less neutral you look, the more you alienate people from buying work. If there are many artists selling, it makes buyers more choosy.

I generally don't have difficulty of getting commissions, but I generally don't have time due to my work to take in more. I usually limit it down to coloring work (also due to my injury) but I try to keep things neutral when advertising, keep positive and network. Posting artwork always helps.

I think this is probably one of the better answers here. It amuses me that people think getting commission will just magically happen for everyone upon writing "commission status open"
    Before you start doing commissions you need to get attention, you need to be noticed and even better known to a general group.

Also as stated you need to post are frequently, and this art needs to be of quality, look like you put effort into it. It needs to be of your own style and stand out. The internet is full of people, buying and selling. So how can you stand out above the rest? With quality artwork and a good relationship with your follower/watchers etc.

My opinion about getting commissions is to make yourself present. Be friendly. Try to improve your skill. Perhaps apply to do commissions on the forums. Communicate and participate. Dont be offended when you dont get commissioned, perhaps your not drawing the style that the artist was looking for. Perhaps you lack skill with that type of character. Maybe they already found someone.
    Just keep posting, improving and look at artists getting commissions, what are they doing that you are not?
    Regardless of your skill, getting commissions is not an easy task.
    Good luck!

Weasyl
    Pakki-Sukibe
    I would recommend establishing regulars once you've actually found a commissioner to work with. This doesn't work for everyone, but I generally add most commissioners to Skype with people and discuss what they want. I try to be easy to work with and offer suggestions and concerns regarding what they want. Other than that, it helps to try to be friends with commissioners too, since it makes you a lot more approachable. If you do a good enough job or are super easy to work with, chances are they'll keep coming back for more and start to favor you, or maybe even recommend people.

It kinda comes down to the first time encounter(s), I suppose? Its not really an end all be-all to earning commissions though since some of it is just getting out there, but its definitely a way to get a firm ground once you've got a hold of someone.