Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you take movie reveiws seriously?

I was having fun the other night watching old Siskel and Ebert reviews on Youtube, and it got me to thinking: when I was younger I didn't care what critics had to say about movies, but now I find that if a film gets a low score on Rotten Tomatoes, that's a factor into whether I'll go to the theater to see it or not. I daresay that film reviews have saved me from hours of boredom or irritation many times over now. So, are film reviews ever a factor for you in regards to watching a movie or not?

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    No 'cause most of the time, I take guilty pleasure in watching terrible movies and laughing about 'em.

Weasyl
    Karmarsi
    Honestly, I like to peek at them to see opinions, but I don't tend to take them seriously. What may be an amazing movie to a reviewer may be terrible to another, and vice versa. It's really only a curiosity thing for me!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    I only ever read the reviews after the movie. I like to make my own opinion of the movie before I read anything about them. Sometimes I am happy with the reviews, sometimes I just don't get where people are coming from. :| Generally, the only time I'd hesitate to see a movie because of someone else's thoughts is if it was a friend of mine that had seen it.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Term
    There's a couple of reviewers I hold a little higher in regards to who I trust when it comes to movies. The Escapist's MovieBob is probably my favorite since the dude tends to have similar taste in certain movies that I do, and even when I disagree with him I respect his opinion.

Sometimes you just gotta find someone who appears to have your taste. Sure you won't agree with them 100%, but for the most part they don't tend to steer you wrong.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    I take them as personal opinions.

Which is, I dunno, how it should be taken? Because that's all it is.

Anybody who takes reviews too seriously just baffles my brain.

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I only take them seriously from reviewers whose opinion I've come to respect, and then I tend only to read/watch them if I'm debating whether or not to go see the movie in question. If I have a strong desire to see a movie, yeah, I'd rather watch it without the review tainting my perception of it, but if I'm on the fence I'd like to have some outside opinion as to whether or not I should spend my $8 on the ticket. The problem comes when I'm on the fence, but then I hear horribly conflicting reviews about the movie, so I still don't know whether I should see it, but that's obviously just a result of the fact that movie reviewing is a subjective business.

I guess here's a good system for deciding on those on-the-fencers: whether it got a fresh or rotten on RottenTomatoes. :p

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Usually if I'm interested in a movie I just ask my friends about what they thought of it.

Weasyl
    capricornusCaretaker
    im honestly willing to try any movie that looks appealing to me! sometimes ill look it up and see what reviewers say, but unless its a really bad review i usually tend to ignore it and judge for myself

the best way i use reviews though is to find out what to expect, mostly! rotten tomatoes and even commen sense media (a parental check-out site) are good places to find out if something i had interest in might be a bit, er, unsavory