Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pokemon X and Y

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Dicko only explained that people who suck at the game need a decent move for the sole purpose of not getting owned by one single type. It doesn't mean that that type is OP, it just means that they need to not skip every trainer and then wonder why their low-levels are getting murdered.
    It's not even about levels or training, it's that Ice Beam is a great coverage move for special attack oriented Pokemon, and it isn't just slapped on all of them because "dragunz r OP". When you cover Dragon, Grass, Ground, and Flying types with one move, you're given many more options for the rest of your moves, not to mention it's only resisted by

Take Porygon-Z for example: My typical moveset for him involves Tri Attack (boosted by Adaptability, hits everything but Ghost and Steel types well), Ice Beam (Dragon, Grass, Ground, Flying), Psychic (Fighting (crucial since Porygon-Z is a Normal type), Poison), and Agility to boost dat speed. Ice Beam is just a great move all around, regardless of Dragon types.

In other news: Corocoro leaked. It's over, Pokemon is finished. So much for being hype about the games if Game Freak/Nintendo is gonna ruin them.
    Last edited by RX-149Dragonite; 09-11-2013 at 12:09 PM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    In other news: Corocoro leaked. It's over, Pokemon is finished. So much for being hype about the games if Game Freak/Nintendo is gonna ruin them.
    Can you elaborate why? How is Pokemon being ruined? Quite frankly I'm looking forward to all the new features in X and Y. Saying "it's over" without telling why is incredibly vague. :/ Besides the Mega's I don't really know your position on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Can you elaborate why? How is Pokemon being ruined? Quite frankly I'm looking forward to all the new features in X and Y. Saying "it's over" without telling why is incredibly vague. :/ Besides the Mega's I don't really know your position on this.
    To start, I don't even care about the Fairy types being immune to Dragon type moves, although it does make the Fairy type seem way more centralizing than the only other Pokemon that is immune to the type it's super-effective against, the Dark-type.

However, my biggest miff comes from what happened to Steel-types: They lost their Ghost and Dark resistances. This means that Metagross, one of my personal favorite Pokemon, and Bronzong are now effectively generic Psychic types with high defense stats, which are useless against the special oriented Dark and Ghost types. Why did Game Freak feel they needed to do this? Steel did gain an advantage against the Fairy type, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to take away two crucial resistances.

And yes, I dislike the Megas, a lot, especially Mega Garchomp, designwise and how it'll affect the game-wise, since even with Fairies running around, a Mega Garchomp will be a very, very centralizing and overpowered Pokemon, which makes no sense considering Game Freak and Nintendo seemed to want Dragons to be nerfed (even if they didn't need to be).

And the addition of ANOTHER Mega Mewtwo form seems very awkward, and seems like a very lame attempt at a cash-in on Mewtwo's fame, especially since they already had Mega Mewtwo's debut movie (which was an awful movie, but that's unrelated to this).

I'm just really confused and jaded, I was incredibly hyped when Gen 6 was announced, but now I don't even feel close to that feeling I first had.

Last edited by Tycho; 09-11-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: wow way to break my images weasylforums

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Thread summary: Obvious Dragon-type fanboy whines that his favorite type is facing competition, and whines whenever he's told that despite what he wants to believe, Dragon is OP and has been since Gen 1.
    Prove Dragon-type has been OP since Gen 1 (even though the only Dragon-type in Gen 1 was the Dragonite line, and not to mention with the Speed based critical hit calculations back in Gen 1's mechanics, Jynx and other fast Pokemon that could learn Blizzard would easily wipe the floor with Dragonite). I really don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, and you're just going with the "hurr draguns suck XD" sentiment most casual players have, probably due to being touched innappropriately by Lance's 3 illegal moveset-ed Dragonites as a kid. Dragon types haven't made up a majority of OU (or any tier besides Ubers, but that's because most Ubers are legendaries with Dragon typings) in any generation, or have enough prevalence in teams to be considered overpowered. Until you can provide proof that Dragon types are overpowered, you should probably keep your belligerent comments, and childish pictures (seriously, Jigglypuff's base stats are awful, it wouldn't ever beat a Dragon-type even with Fairy typing) to yourself.

Steel losing Dark and Ghost resistance, OH NO. So terrible. Steel's already ridiculously tanky, both in stat totals and resistances,
    Um... It's supposed to be? It's the STEEL type, why shouldn't it be ridiculously tanky? However, it trades off tankyness with having very little Steel type damaging mpves.

and both Dark and Ghost have needed love for a long time now.
    You could say that about any type.

Neither Dark nor Ghost is prevalent enough for this to matter much.
    Once again, you're forgetting Dark moves and Ghost moves can be learned by other non-Dark and Ghost Pokemon, especially Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball.

And considering how screamingly overpowered Metagross has ALWAYS been
    Um, Metagross has NEVER been overpowered. Hell, this generation it barely hung onto being in OU, and actually has been tested to drop down to UU multiple times in multiple sites' tierlists. Earthquake is Metagross's bane, and most physical Pokemon can carry it.

As for the new Mewtwo form, you conveniently forget that Mewtwos (amongst other legendary Pokemon) are frequently disallowed in most PvP, and anyone who resorts to using Mewtwo is usually chased out of matches with pitchforks and torches. Legendaries are usually off-limits in serious PvP play.
    ... You don't know what you're talking about... You can use Mewtwo easily in PvP play when you play in the Ubers tiers. It's only official video game (Wi-fi, Worlds, etc.) rules that don't allow Mewtwo and other legendaries (regardless of actual competitive ability) in battle. If you play with Mewtwo in Ubers nobody's gonna chase you out with pitchforks, because the tier allows it.

I really don't think you have any idea what you're talking about anymore, and you're just being belligerent to get a rise out of me.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Guys, please refrain from calling each other names and being insulting. I wouldn't want to have to lock the thread.

This your only warning.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    And now that Dicko is done acting as he always do, we can resume the thread. I think the two Mega-Mewtwos are a pretty weird idea; like they're running outta ideas and need to recycle old Pokemon instead, which I don't mind as much as I probably should seeing as gen 1 & 2 are my favorites. I'd say the only thing that bothers me is Fennekin's evolution, are they planning to make it into a witch or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    I think the two Mega-Mewtwos are a pretty weird idea; like they're running outta ideas and need to recycle old Pokemon instead
    Not exactly, but Game Freak (well really Nintendo, since they're pulling the strings) sees that Gen 1 is nostalgia material in both Japan and the U.S., so they're gonna pander to Gen 1 fans, even if it means a drop in quality for the games. Instead of spending time on Mega Evolutions (which is a gimmicky mechanic), they could have either made actual evolutions of older Pokemon, or made better, new Pokemon. But no, popular Pokemon (the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Lucario, Blaziken, Garchomp) and Pokemon that have been begged to get evos (Absol, Kangaskhan, Mawile) get the Mega Evolutions.

I'd say the only thing that bothers me is Fennekin's evolution, are they planning to make it into a witch or something?
    Fennekin's line is witch based, as the rumors were confirmed
    Froakie's is based off theives
    And Chespin is based off knights (iirc)

Another thing to note: Fairy only has 2 weaknesses, Steel and Poison. Steel type moves aren't every numerous, and Poison types aren't typically that great or learn many different moves.
    Dragon-types were weak to only 2 types before Gen 6, Dragon and Ice. Dragon type moves weren't very accessible to non-Dragon types, and Ice types were very frail, glass cannons that also didn't have type coverage on their side in their movesets. So why did people complain about Dragon, but have overwhelming elation for Fairies? Not to mention, with Fairies being weak to Steel, you can easily expect everybody to have Choice Banded, Technician, Bullet Punch Scizors on their teams now.
    Last edited by RX-149Dragonite; 09-12-2013 at 12:38 PM.