Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Pokemon X and Y

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Weasyl
    Tiger

Pokemon X and Y

I am way, way excited for Pokemon X and Y. Here's a discussion thread!

There are lots of things to talk about for this, sooo I'll list a few ideas to discuss:

1) Fairy type! Quite frankly I like the new type. I think it works well in the game's mechanics and am very happy to see another counter for Dragon types.

2) Pokemon Amie. This is a pretty cool feature. Reminds me of Hey You, Pikachu! (loved that game). I'm interested to see the mechanics of it.

3) Customizable main character. I'm very satisfied with the trainer designs at this time. I think being able to have the feature to create an appearance that I'll be completely happy with rather than being limited to the single character design in the game.

4) New Pokemon! I'm really liking the new ones so far! I'm also liking the fact that a large amount of them are based more on actual animals rather than more inanimate objects. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Gen 5 and did like a majority of the Pokemon. But for me I'm liking the more nature based ones.

Those are all the points I can think of to discuss right now. If you guys want to discuss any of those first or just all of them right away, that would be awesome!

Fairy types don't counter Dragon types well, though, and even then Dragons didn't need a new counter (they weren't overpowered, so please don't try to bring that up). If Game Freak really wanted to balance out Dragon (even though the types were pretty well balanced as is, and throwing a new type in will actually unbalance it more), they would have made Ice resistant to Dragon-type moves, and Steel super-effective against Dragons.

Mega Evolutions are another mistake, serving only as a tool to hype up the game (and not bringing a positive change that would actually revolutionize battling), but it's executed so poorly and cliched that it falls really flat (it's just a glorified form change that's activated at will, and is tacked onto either popular Pokemon (Lucario, Blaziken) or Pokemon some of the fanbase have been begging to have something happen to (Mawile, Kangaskhan)).

Other than those awful slip ups by Game Freak, XY should be pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    Fairy types don't counter Dragon types well, though, and even then Dragons didn't need a new counter (they weren't overpowered, so please don't try to bring that up).
    Says the guy with a Dragonite avatar. A lot of people think Dragon's OP and has been so for some time. I'm one of them. Their move pools are usually ridiculously strong and Dragon trainers/gyms are things you run into near the end-game for a REASON. Their stat totals are always higher than most other types (especially Bug, Ice and Dark, who have been at the ass-end of stat totals for a long time now) and the fact that anyone who didn't want to tear their hair out in endgame had at least ONE strong Special-Atk oriented Pokemon with Ice Beam in nearly EVERY gen says just how feared Dragon type has been for a long time. TL;DR - you're flat out wrong, Dragon is OP as hell. And what the hell is this "Fairy doesn't counter Dragon well" bullshit? What does that even MEAN?

If Game Freak really wanted to balance out Dragon (even though the types were pretty well balanced as is, and throwing a new type in will actually unbalance it more), they would have made Ice resistant to Dragon-type moves, and Steel super-effective against Dragons.
    Again, this sounds like more opinion-whining thinly disguised as "I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT DURRHURR". How would this new type possibly unbalance it? I have been given no reason to think that Fairy could POSSIBLY be so strong as to completely break balance (certainly no worse than Dragon did). I'm all for giving Ice some love, though Steel doesn't need a damn thing aside from a more diverse move pool.

Mega Evolutions are another mistake, serving only as a tool to hype up the game (and not bringing a positive change that would actually revolutionize battling), but it's executed so poorly and cliched that it falls really flat (it's just a glorified form change that's activated at will, and is tacked onto either popular Pokemon (Lucario, Blaziken) or Pokemon some of the fanbase have been begging to have something happen to (Mawile, Kangaskhan)).
    I will say that the fact that the Mega Evos are just temporary battle buffs from items is kind of a let-down, and I have NO idea why they bothered giving Lucario a mega (Lucario's ridiculously strong already), but the fact that Mega Evos get alterations to moves and abilities promises flexibility for strategies involving those moves and abilities (that don't require going out, catching and training another Pokemon of that species with a diff ability or diff movesets). And some of these Pokemon were overdue for some kind of love, like Absol, Mawile and Kangaskhan. It's not QUITE what I had hoped for, but it could be really good and given how much work they're doing on X/Y to avoid the rushed "same old stuff" feel that we all got from Diamond/Pearl I think they're probably going to make sure it doesn't turn the game too badly on its head. Also, I think they're doing reasonably well on how the Mega Evos look, trying to make them look like BAMFs without falling into the "Garchomp" trap, and avoiding deviating significantly from their existing designs.

Dragon isn't OP, period. Just because Pokemon carry around Ice Beam doesn't mean shit about Dragon being OP. People carry around Earthquake on their physical Pokemon, does that mean Electric, Rock, or Steel are OP? No it doesn't. Hell, Dragon types don't even make up the majority of any OU tier (Smogon, Pokemon Online, Serebii, etc.), so don't you try telling me that Dragon is actually OP when it isn't. And Fairy not countering Dragon well is just what I says, Fairy will be just another Ice type to Dragons.

I don't see why you have to go and be belligerent, but no I am not "opinion-whining", and I do know what I'm talking about. Dragon didn't break balance, but Fairy will. Fairy type Arceus, Xerneas, and possible other Fairy type Ubers will prevent the Lati twins, Garchomp, and others from moving up tiers, so they'll stay in OU (or even worse be demoted and moved into lower tiers) causing imbalances. Dragon wasn't causing the game to be unbalanced at all either, in fact, the game was probably the most balanced as is right now.

Your idea that you even need to go out and catch a Pokemon to find one with the specific ability is bad, and somehow Mega Evolutions fix this, is ludicrous. The entire game revolves around catching Pokemon, how is it a bad thing? Plus, what about when you aren't in Mega form? You'll still need the abilities the Pokemon is best with, so you will still need to go out and catch/breed/trade for the right Pokemon. Also, speak for yourself. Diamond and Pearl were just fine, and nothing about them felt like the "same old stuff". They changed up the game quite enough to make it enjoyable from the last games, and the key is that they were GOOD changes, not cheap cash ins like Mega Evolutions. Also, the Mega Evolutions look WAY worse than Garchomp ever looked, not to mention what are you even talking about with a "'Garchomp trap"?

And great, now with Game Freak (or more specifically Nintendo being more and more controlling of Game Freak) pandering to nostalgia filled genwunners with the Kanto starter Mega Evolutions, it's safe to say I won't be getting X or Y anymore.

And great, now with Game Freak (or more specifically Nintendo being more and more controlling of Game Freak) pandering to nostalgia filled genwunners with the Kanto starter Mega Evolutions, it's safe to say I won't be getting X or Y anymore.
    Bye, don't let the Pokedoor hit you in the ass on the way out.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Wut? Dragons ARE OP. Even against Ice types when they're supposed to be weak against.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Wut? Dragons ARE OP. Even against Ice types when they're supposed to be weak against.
    That's because Ice types are frail against everything they don't resist. The problem is with Ice types, not Dragon types, which is why I would have just made Ice resistant to Dragon type moves. Dragons still aren't OP, and there's nothing substantial that can prove that.

Weasyl
    N/A
    That's because Ice types are frail against everything they don't resist. The problem is with Ice types, not Dragon types, which is why I would have just made Ice resistant to Dragon type moves. Dragons still aren't OP, and there's nothing substantial that can prove that.
    :I
    Tycho had already explained why they are OP and you just say "lol no they're not"

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    :I
    Tycho had already explained why they are OP and you just say "lol no they're not"
    Dicko only explained that people who suck at the game need a decent move for the sole purpose of not getting owned by one single type. It doesn't mean that that type is OP, it just means that they need to not skip every trainer and then wonder why their low-levels are getting murdered.

On a side note, I'm actually pretty eager to try out X/Y, it sounds like it's really gonna change the franchise hopefully for the better; especially since I never finished Black/White 'cause it felt bland and boring; the serie is getting stale and needs change. The megas is more of a gimmick than anything but I think it's a pretty fun one, but the reason I'm eager is mostly because of the new Pokemon Bank, NOW that's an awesome feature.
    Last edited by Ibuuyk; 09-10-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Dicko only explained that people who suck at the game need a decent move for the sole purpose of not getting owned by one single type. It doesn't mean that that type is OP, it just means that they need to not skip every trainer and then wonder why their low-levels are getting murdered.
    Who says they skip every trainer?
    In my play throughs of Pokemon, I have to get my pokemon to at least 70 before they can stand up to Lance and his limit is his Dragonite at 62.
    Dragons can learn a variety of moves as well. Shit, Lance's fucking Dragonite knows 3 different elemental types and then has HYPER BEAM. How is that not OP?