Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Role Playing universe

Weasyl
    N/A

Role Playing universe

In an attempt to bring this place to life and get to know each other's role-playing preferences, I'mma make a thread :3c

When I first started role-playing, I used already established universes and created my OCs according to that. I believe my first one was InuYasha. My longest (and favorite) ones were the Ancient Egyptian setting of Yu-Gi-Oh and Marvel.

So, role-players, do you make up your own universe? Or do you enjoy role-playing in the setting of your favorite series for the chance of engaging your favorite character?
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Either one is fine. I've done rp's in the 40k universe, the Inheritance universe and the Kingdom Hearts universe. None of those were furry mind you and were serious play by post forum based and updated by a gm (sometimes me, sometimes not) fortnightly or so. On several occasions that I have gm'd I've used my own universe or one of the others, and in one case a hybrid of both.

For more informal roleplays via chat or im, that kind of detail rarely matters.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Kingdom Hearts role play? That sounds really awesome!

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Kingdom Hearts role play? That sounds really awesome!
    Loosely based on the same universe but with a much darker theme and completely original characters. It was quite a good one, my players enjoyed it but sadly the site hosting it crashed for a month and a half, kinda killed it. We all lost the mojo to keep it going after that. :/
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Either way is fine for me. I have a weird urge to participate in a Lion King roleplay one of these days.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    Loosely based on the same universe but with a much darker theme and completely original characters. It was quite a good one, my players enjoyed it but sadly the site hosting it crashed for a month and a half, kinda killed it. We all lost the mojo to keep it going after that. :/
    Aw man that sucks. I'd love to participate in something like that. Maybe have an occasional cameo of some of the main characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    Either way is fine for me. I have a weird urge to participate in a Lion King roleplay one of these days.
    I participated in one once but sadly it didn't take off very well. I wouldn't mind trying one out again. I miss fan-roleplays.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Me and a friend have a complete canon universe mapped out and have for quite a while. Everything is original (for the most part; he initially jacked character appearances from art by big artists, but hell, a lot of people do that regardless it seems), and the canon actually merges into someone else's toward the end. Took us five years to get it all down. The theme is futuristic cyberpunk assassins and "armed rebellion."

All my characters are introduced at different points in the series, with them all eventually becoming friends at a central point during the main RP, then continuing on to the end as a group.

I've tried fan RPs before; we had one based on Pirates of the Caribbean, but it never really got anywhere. :<
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    N/A
    From the fan-rp that i'm in. It...didnt go anywhere but it went everywhere at the same time. There was no set "end" so to speak. It's just, "hey, here's the characters, here's something we should do, let's do it!"
    When that ends, it deals with the aftermath, general socializing/slice of life type of thing until we think of something else to do.

Yeah, when I've RPed and there wasn't a preset plot the RP would always delve into cutesy slice of life business. Which I like sometimes, but I do like RPs with more substantial stories as well.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Yeah it's gotta have balance. Usually when we get tired of srs bznz or something like that, we take a short break to focus more on character relationships. Both romantic and just general stuff to develop them more. The best is something around the holidays imo. Those are always fun