Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Features for readers

Weasyl
    foxboyprower

Features for readers

[Slightly irrelevant intro] I love seeing how this art site is developing in comparison to the others. Spending my time on FA, DA, Inkbunny, Sofurry, and Weasyl (of course) has allowed me to see the different flavors and styles of the art sites and how things work.
    DA is practically an untouchable masterpiece of design (except for their color scheme) and features. It does quite a few good things so I won't even bother talking about them here.
    Inbunny is doing pretty well. There isn't much to mention other than the way they divide stories up into pages is very clever while reducing the length of the submission page.
    But Sofurry... I don't hear many people talk about Sofurry, but it's a lot more popular than I though.
    According to google trends it's as popular as Inkbunny which I found surprising.
    It's been undergoing a lot of changes and I've noticed it has some great tools no other sites have.
    Important part
    Sofurry has the best tools for writers and readers. In terms of features for readers, most sites just have the standard "download", "note", and "add to favorites" buttons. Sofurry does more, and I'd like to highlight some of those.
    • Series following- The reader can subscribe to a series. The reader might only be interested in a single story and don't want other submissions clogging up their alerts
    • Series navigation - When a read is looking at the page of a story in a series, the other parts of that series will be up in the corner. This is very handy for easy navigation.
    • Bookmarks - I'll be honest, I don't know how this works. But Sofurry keeps track of where you last were reading in a story and leave digital bookmarks so you can pick it up where you left off.
    • Related folders - With stories come characters, and with characters come references. A picture is worth a thousand words so having one now and then adds a lot to the story. This feature lets you add a folder related to the series for pictures and such. I don't know much about how it works, but it's pretty cool.
    • Display modes - This feature lets readers choose how much stuff they want on screen with their story and how to display the story on their monitor.
    • Read later - This is brilliant and I wish more sites had this. This feature uses another website called readability to allow readers to add a story to a collection for them to read later. All we have now is temporarily adding a story to our favorites and hoping we remember to look at it. This Readability site has been very handy helping me keep track of stories. If you take any suggestion away from this, take this one.

I probably missed a lot of stuff but for some comparison look at these:
    A story on Sofurry So many options and features yet easy to use.
    A story on Inkbunny See how easy that is to navigate? Much less scrolling.
    A story on Weasyl
    Currently there is one last thing that would be helpful that Sofurry doesn't even do yet. The ability to submit a google doc file for a story submission. Personally it would be pretty handy since google drive is the best collaboration tool I've found and is great for working on a story with some pals.

That's all I've got. I hope these ideas were interesting at least.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    just a quick note—readability doesn't require any opt-in from the website. you can use it with weasyl right now if you want to. I don't have a sofurry account so I don't know if it's just that they suggest you use readability or have some other sort of integration.

Weasyl
    foxboyprower
    Oh that's handy. I didn't know that.
    But you can check out the link to that story even without an account. I specifically chose a clean story so everyone could access it.
    They only kind of have it integrated. It's just shown on every story page on the side bar. I had to make an account for it, but it's really handy how they have the button on each story. But the button is just encoded into the page.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    I checked again and I still get "The page you are about to access is marked to contain material which may not be suitable for minors or most work environments!". but, I did also see that there's a link to view it anyway. and yes, it looks like this is providing a nice interface for readability that doesn't require use of its bookmarklet. it's certainly something we can add at some point.

Weasyl
    foxboyprower
    yay. ^^
    Also inkbunny has that interesting scroll wheel thing so the page isn't so long. But that's a double edged sword since it means two scroll bars for the reader.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Quote Originally Posted by foxboyprower View Post
    yay. ^^
    Also inkbunny has that interesting scroll wheel thing so the page isn't so long. But that's a double edged sword since it means two scroll bars for the reader.
    I'd rather not have such a scroll bar feature. Tends to break any browser that isn't a PC.

Weasyl
    vasvadum
    I just wanted the ability to change the page width so that your story didn't end up compressed to 50% or less of your screen size. Little buttons to change the width of the story or journal you are reading like I stated in a journal a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I'd rather not have such a scroll bar feature. Tends to break any browser that isn't a PC.
    Yea, I don't like the mini scroll bar either and I'm on a PC.
    Last edited by Vas; 09-28-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: quote, prevented double posting.
    This signature is a lie.