Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Books!

Weasyl
    Tango

Books!

I figured that since we have music and video games that we should have a book thread too. I mean come on, we're all nerds here!

So, what is your favorite books or most recent reads? Currently I am reading Fry The Brain: The Art Of Urban Sniping And Its Role In Modern Guerrilla Warfare by John West. I'm about the start re-reading Read'em And Reap by Joe Naverro so I can get ready for the RMFC poker tourney.

I'm a big fan of Stephen King; I loved IT, The Stand, The Shining, and The Dark Tower series more than I can say. I love his style of story-telling, and while it falters at times I always find it enjoyable to read. I've got Hearts in Atlantis sitting on my bookshelf that I need to read, actually... I'll get to it eventually. I also enjoyed the Harry Potter series (which I binged through last fall). In middle school I remember enjoying the Inheritance Cycle quite a bit and I remember reading through the Cirque du Freak series up to like book 15, but that was so many years ago that I've forgotten a lot of details about them. I have a soft spot for the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series; even if they're meant for kids, I grew up with them, and they always evoke a feeling of nostalgia thinking about them.

Weasyl
    meris
    Currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next Dresden Files book to come out. I'm working my way through Simon Green's Nightside series. Other interesting recent reads were "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex" and "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" both by Mary Roach. I found Stiff to be more interesting but both books were entertaining reads.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I don't read anymore, but I'd say my favorite trilogy is Isaac Asimov's Foundation (yes, I said trilogy. Fuck the last two). Second place comes to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials (I'm such a furfag). Third place? Cliff McNish's Doomspell trilogy.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm currently reading "You can't read this book: Censorship in an age of freedom" by Nick Cohen. I should've been finished it weeks ago but I haven't been reading regularly and I don't like only half reading a chapter. I did read one the day before yesterday though and I'm now about half-way through.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    I'm currently reading "You can't read this book: Censorship in an age of freedom" by Nick Cohen. I should've been finished it weeks ago but I haven't been reading regularly and I don't like only half reading a chapter. I did read one the day before yesterday though and I'm now about half-way through.
    Hey, I know you! Welcome to Weasyl. Don't worry, I'm completely civil here. No trolling.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Right now I'm reading Euclid's Window, an account of the development of geometry. It's really cool to read. :>

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Hey, I know you! Welcome to Weasyl. Don't worry, I'm completely civil here. No trolling.
    Thanks. You know me from when I was on FAF (since seems to be a fair amount of overlap) or from stories/art or elsewhere?
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

Ain't reading anything at the moment. Loved me the Metro 2033. It was WAY better than the game. I'd recommend it for everyone post apocalyptic fans.
    Most recent read would be Game of thrones

Weasyl
    N/A
    I read the first book of The Hunger Games recently, and though I thought it was graphic, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought my friends were overhyping it when they were encouraging me to read it, so I picked it up for about $8 in paperback to give me something to do while waiting at the airport or on my flight.

I finished the book in a day, and now I'm desperate to read the other two. XD And I want to see the movie, but I want to read the entire book series first. It's scary and entertaining.

My favorite author and book series will always be The Dragons of Pern by Anne McCaffrey since I'm big on fantasy and dragons and all that, and have been ever since I was a kid.

(I also want a Kindle Fire because I want to collect books, and doing so in E-Book form seems like a less expensive and better option. I don't think my house is ready or big enough for a library.)