Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybby View Post
    wii u would seem more enticing if it was understood exactly what the upgrade was
    A tablet peripheral and 720p HD graphics.

That's about it as far as I can see it. The way things are going, Nintendo is going to lose A LOT of third party support, so unless you're willing to drop $350 on a device solely to play Mario, Zelda, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Brothers, then it's not exactly a great buy.

Drop an extra $100 for a PS4 with the PS+ account to play online (if that's your thing) and you'll get a much more powerful machine with more features including streaming games, play-as-you-download functionality, and so forth.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    A tablet peripheral and 720p HD graphics.

That's about it as far as I can see it. The way things are going, Nintendo is going to lose A LOT of third party support, so unless you're willing to drop $350 on a device solely to play Mario, Zelda, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Brothers, then it's not exactly a great buy.

Drop an extra $100 for a PS4 with the PS+ account to play online (if that's your thing) and you'll get a much more powerful machine with more features including streaming games, play-as-you-download functionality, and so forth.
    Smash is at least coming out for the 3DS, so I don't have to worry about missing out on anything

I'm not really a console person anymore. I don't like needing a TV to play games

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Oddly enough, were I to ever buy a console again it'd probably be from Nintendo. Their first party games are really the only things I miss in the PC gaming space.

Weasyl
    Damagefox
    The news seems to have gotten worse, because now microsoft has basically said that if you get banned for whatever reason (whether its your fault or not), all that content you "licensed" (paid $60+ to 'rent' from m$) You WILL FORFEIT ALL LICENSED CONTENT. So some joker floods complaints against you and for whatever reason, whether it was serious or not, you get banned. if you had 10 games you Bought (er...sorry...rented), It all goes BUH-BYE! thats $600+ down the "Big white phone"
    Yeah, I think I will just stick withe outdated disks rather than going the "digital download" route.

Hmph. I certainly see the Big Brotherishness (fancy word :p ) in all this. However - I'm sure hardcore gamers will be too fixated on playing AAA titles to notice.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #16
    Weasyl
    Aden
    The people have spoken

(I'm still a playstation guy, though)

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    The people have spoken

(I'm still a playstation guy, though)
    I think the damage is already done, haha

I was just thinking about how Microsoft really flubbed at E3 and only now is trying to reconcile with the same gamers it alienated a few weeks ago. I realize now that the only reason Microsoft is able to stay relevant is because of Halo- that's what kept them going since 2001. Myself, I think even Nintendo, with its comparatively underpowered consoles, is better.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylWolf View Post
    I was just thinking about how Microsoft really flubbed at E3 and only now is trying to reconcile with the same gamers it alienated a few weeks ago. I realize now that the only reason Microsoft is able to stay relevant is because of Halo- that's what kept them going since 2001. Myself, I think even Nintendo, with its comparatively underpowered consoles, is better.
    >"underpowered"
    >lolwut

They run their games fine, how are they "underpowered" exactly? That's kind of like accusing a compact sedan with a V6 engine of being "underpowered" simply because you're comparing it to a sports car with a V12 engine. The sedan performs fine in its prescribed function, handles highway and city driving well, and costs less than the sports car. You don't go racing with the sedan like you might with the sports car, because it wasn't made for that.

A console's worth needs to stop being measured by the hardware and more by the software. Nintendo makes a point of focusing far more on the software than hardware, as their extremely solid first-party software lineups demonstrate. Nintendo's lineups frequently put LOTS of emphasis on fielding titles that customers want to KEEP AROUND rather than buy, play for a week and beat, and then trade in to Gamestop or wherever.

I personally think that Nintendo's focus on software is what will keep them in business as Microsoft and Sony desperately try to outdo one another with hardware specs. Let's face it, the biggest draws of consoles vs. computers are technical simplicity and lower cost for the consoles. The fact that many people can still to this day sit in front of an older, simpler console and have as much if not more fun with it as with newer consoles speaks to the fact that technological superiority is not what is going to win the console wars.

Look at the history of portables, like the original Game Boy and the Game Gear. The Game Gear was technologically superior in EVERY WAY, and even though its battery life was less than stellar it could be compensated for. But the Game Boy had better titles and better marketing (lots more of "This is a fun machine with fun titles" as opposed to a lot of the Game Gear's marketing which basically consisted of repeating "THE GAME GEAR IS MORE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED THAN THE GAME BOY" in various ways), and the Game Boy was cheaper and more accessible. Look at the PSP series vs. the Game Boy Advance and DS. Sony marketed the PSP poorly, sometimes repeating the same sort of "technologically superior to competitors" angle that Sega did so long ago, and while the PSP had some really good titles, its library was still considered inferior to what its competitors offered. Thus the PSP tanked in sales compared to the Nintendo machines.

Software, software, software. The GAMES make the console, not the hardware.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    >
    Software, software, software. The GAMES make the console, not the hardware.
    Hardware does relate to software, though, due to the nature of ports. As anyone who has tried to play graphically intensive games on a non-gaming laptop can probably attest, most games do not gracefully scale down to accommodate hardware below their design specs. This is also easily observed on many console ports that can't maintain acceptable frame rates on one system or another. Games made for the new Xbox and Playstation are going to have to scale down graphics and physics appreciably to run on the Wii U. I think many developers are going to look at this additional development cost combined with the lackluster sales of many third-party titles on Nintendo consoles and restrict their multi-platform launches to Xbox One and PS4 only (and maybe PCs depending on the developer and series.) Nintendo could be largely limiting themselves to first party and related titles on their home consoles.