Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Music Genres

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Fayv

Favorite Music Genres

That other thread got me thinking about this and thought it might be interesting to share. What are your favorite genres, what are some of your favorite songs.

For my part I line music from the 40s and 50s. I adore Frank Sinatra, particularly the songs of his that weren't that popular. I generally listen to Frank Sinatra and the like when I'm at work (cause you can listen to literally anything as long as it has a swing band and Baritone.) Here's my fav song to listen to as I'm working or drawing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KnYd4Qk6c
    this one is good too but doesn't have the same oomph
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmYMkl1Grzc

I also rather like ooold 20s songs, irish folk songs, and their modernized versions. Electroswing, techno classic, and celtic rock.

So yeah. what genres do you like? Anything weird? any good songs?

Weasyl
    N/A
    I pretty much like rock from the 60s on to some recent ones.
    The Beatles, The Eagles, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sum41, Green Day, Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons etc etc. Not to say there aren't the odd songs I listen to outside of this genre but this is the type I generally listen to.

I also enjoy music scores from soundtracks. Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Howard Shore (OMG LOVE him), John Williams.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Man I adore the work of Jo Hisaishi (the guy that composes for studio Ghibli) Hans Zimmer is great too.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    I tend to be all over the place in terms of genres. In chronological order, it would probably go classical piano, classic rock (60s), early metal, southern and indie rock, and symphonic and alternative metal with a mix of electronic and pop in there somewhere.

The band I've probably listened to the most lately has been Diablo Swing Orchestra, which typically gets categorized as some metal derivative or another. http://youtu.be/m2mZVOd0jWY

Just a couple weeks ago I saw Mussgorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition performed by Jorge Frederico Osorio which was spectacular. Not the same pianist below, but the same piece.
    http://youtu.be/xb0UN5awd6c

I'll listen to literally ANY genre, from rock to rap to classical to tribal. The genres that hold the most nostaglia for me however are anime music (in other words, J-pop) and R&B.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Term
    Really anything that comes on, so long as it's got a sound I can appreciate.

My heart is always going to be with the rock/punk scene here in Jersey that started with Bruce Springsteen and has been carried on by bands like The Bouncing Souls and The Gaslight Anthem. I'm fortunate to live in such a great music scene.

But I can still appreciate classic rock, hip-hop, and so forth. Big band and modern-day Motown-esque music I adore like stuff from Alice Russel, Sharon Jones, and Charles Bradley.

Now that I'm into the summer I'm listening to much more Jack Johnson, G. Love, Donovan Frankenreiter, Sublime, and of course, Bob Marley.

So as you can see, I'm all over the place.

Classic rock,symphonic metal,some grunge,glam metal,folk,melodeath metal,thrash metal,some reggae,and metalcore.

Weasyl
    The Pink Rose Of Texas
    My all-time favorite music genre is rock and roll, particularly from the '60s to the '80s.