Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As an artist, have you ever gotten so distracted with things in life . . .

That you actually do in fact, gradually slip away from making any art, or being creative at all? For months on end? Surely.

When you can't help but go with the current of life, which seems to take you all the way to the other end of the universe? Am I making any sense? When you come back and start making art, how do you start? How do you get your magic to start working again? Is it often harder after being away for some time, to find inspiration in things you use to? Do you, or have you at any point, felt like you weren't yourself anymore?

Up until 2 months ago, for the year, I hadn't made a single piece. No art. At all. Even though, I've been drawing and painting, and sketching non-stop since I was little. I stopped - and all at once, it seemed. To try to sum things up without going overboard :

I was pressured by my grandparents to get into the nursing program at my local college. After actually being allowed in, they pressured me again to actually start the nursing program. As if all the pre-reqs to get in didn't butcher my time to make art, there was certainly no time once I was in nursing to make any art, let alone eat. (Nursing students have it HARD, let me tell you. I don't know how the hell I passed first semester...)

One day I finally just said "**** this! I have absolutely no interest in being a nurse in the first place." and dropped out the next day. *snap*

Since then, I've started making art again, and in January I'm actually going back to school for something I want to do.
    But, I'm having a hard time being as interested as I was before...
    I lack inspiration, I suppose.
    :/

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    I don't get massive lapses like that very often, but once from December '09 and for three more months in '10 I drew absolutely nothing, not even a sketch, which just like you normally I sketch and draw pretty much constantly so this was very aberrant. A lot of it had to do with poor living conditions in a house that was...not a good place to live in and just a sudden dearth of inspiration. Once I moved back to my house after that four-month stint things slowly started to flood back in and in mid April I started drawing again. Interestingly it was Shadowrun RPG characters that got me back in the art mojo.

Those four months I will admit felt fallow, like something was dried up in the back of my mind that I couldn't cultivate anymore. At one point I thought I wasn't going to draw again (which now that I look back on it that sounds very silly). Later that year after I got back to my feet (it took about a month or so) I was improving by leaps and bounds.

So, I guess all I can say for something like this is try not to force it, but inch forward a little by trying to doodle, sketch or concept whenever you can. And don't try to push your art too far, since it can make you rubber band a little back to not producing anything. Or you can always try the opposite; start a large and ambitious project and perhaps during the process of creation it'll pull you through that mental roadblock.

Art is tangible but is also nebulous; it may be an outside stimulus that is either stopping you or will make you want to create again, or it may be something inside that is hindering you instead. I suppose once you figure out just what it is that is stopping you, then you can take the next step. At least take heart in that as long as you desire to eventually create again, you probably will.

It just gets worse as you get older, maintaining relationships, caring for loved ones, paying for the house/car/etc. Defending your art time is a skill that you've gotta keep sharp.

As for getting back into the groove, the best way is to just pick something and start drawing again. It doesn't have to be exciting, just pick an art exercise from a book or offer up free sketch commissions to the first ten people who comment or some such, just something to get you moving again. Before long your instincts will kick in and you'll be fine.

-The Gneech

I very much appreciate your thorough reply as well as the tidbit of advice on inspiration and ways to keep an artist going. I understand at least a minute fragment of what you mean when you said "not a good place to live". Throughout my "art block" (I guess you'd call it that), I was kind of forced to move twice. I'm kinda swooning over your vocabulary too~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the_gneech View Post
    It just gets worse as you get older, maintaining relationships, caring for loved ones, paying for the house/car/etc. Defending your art time is a skill that you've gotta keep sharp.

As for getting back into the groove, the best way is to just pick something and start drawing again. It doesn't have to be exciting, just pick an art exercise from a book or offer up free sketch commissions to the first ten people who comment or some such, just something to get you moving again. Before long your instincts will kick in and you'll be fine.

-The Gneech
    The bills and life business definitely don't help :c

I'm trying to find that something interesting, I am. I notice all these other artists, making pieces inspired by songs, or animated television series, or movies . . . and...I'm just sitting here like "I don't like anything that much..." Besides my cats, I mean, I'm totally obsessed with my cats. And Morocco, for some reason.

c: Thanks for sharing your ideas~

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    The bills and life business definitely don't help :c

I'm trying to find that something interesting, I am. I notice all these other artists, making pieces inspired by songs, or animated television series, or movies . . . and...I'm just sitting here like "I don't like anything that much..." Besides my cats, I mean, I'm totally obsessed with my cats. And Morocco, for some reason.

c: Thanks for sharing your ideas~
    A bulk of my inspiration actually comes from the natural world, biology, myth and the very lucid dreams I get on a daily basis. Is there anything outside that you particularly enjoying being around, such as a park, garden or something similar? Even public places like malls might have something that will click with your creativity. Sometimes literally thinking outside the box works wonders, if your other interests aren't strong enough to motivate you.

If you are obsessed w/ your cats, then you know what to draw! Capture their essences in art.

-TG

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    A bulk of my inspiration actually comes from the natural world, biology, myth and the very lucid dreams I get on a daily basis. Is there anything outside that you particularly enjoying being around, such as a park, garden or something similar? Even public places like malls might have something that will click with your creativity. Sometimes literally thinking outside the box works wonders, if your other interests aren't strong enough to motivate you.
    I've also noticed, my lucid dreams are diminishing. . . but I live in the woods. Way back in the woods. So maybe, I'll take some supplies outside next time, and find a nice spot c:

Weasyl
    Levi
    This happened to me as soon as I graduated and entered the "real world". Suddenly I had nine or ten hours to devote to an employer every day, and there were errands to run and cleaning to do in my diminishing spare time. Oh, and then I got a dog and then my writing really dropped off.

I found that when I was very stressed or demotivated, which was a common happening at my last job, I lost all desire to be creative. It had to be forced, and forced creativity rarely works out. Now, I make an effort to devote so many minutes a day to writing or other various hobbies.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    This is an interesting topic

Art is like Nike - Just do it. I think we place too many expectations on ourselves when we go on hiatus or make excuses not to continue. Sometimes you also have to take care of yourself instead of artwork. I learned that art didn't see me through depression, but I had to take care of depression and change what activities I was doing to rejuvenate.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    Yes... All the time. I find that I don't have much time to draw anymore and it's really irritating. When I have some down time I'm usually napping. If I try to draw while my kids are awake they want to get in to all of my tools. Even if it's just a sketch book and pencil, they want it. Or they are trying to climb on top of me.