Weasyl
    N/A

Aleu's Guide to Puns

Hey there furfags, it's your favorite, semi-friendly neighborhood pun mistress here to instruct YOU on how to properly pun. We will be looking at what puns are, the different types, and noteworthy punmasters of our time Now settle down for Pun 101.

What are puns? Puns are a form ofword-play which exploits multiple meanings of words or similar sounding or similar looking words depending on the type of pun .Though this is not to be confused with malapropisms. Malapropisms are incorrectly used within context to replace a similar sounding word. For example, Yogi Berra's statement “Texas has a lot of electrical votes” is a malapropism since the word he was looking for was“electoral”. “A Hard' Day's Night” and “Tomorrow Never Knows” are also examples of malapropism courtesy of our beloved Ringo Starr.

Onto the main bit, there are several different types of puns.

Homophonic puns
    These puns are based off of words that sound the same but have different meanings, aka HOMOPHONES <3
    Examples include:
    “Atheism is a non-prophet institution.” ~George Carlin
    “Why do we keep troops in Germany? Tokeep the Russians in Czech.”
    They also don't have to sound exactlythe same, but still similar sounding. For example:
    “If spiteful women ran a golf course, they'd call it a cattyshack.”
    Accents also contribute to these types of puns. For those who have seen Caddyshack:
    Scottish man. “I have an important job for you. I need you to kill every gopher on the green.”
    Bill Murray “Correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy but if I kill all the golfers, they'd lock me up and throw away the key.”

Homographic puns (aka heteronymic)
    These puns are sort of like the homophonic puns, however they rely more on visual rather than sound. Take the phrase by Douglas Adams “You can tune a guitar but you can't tuna fish...unless you play bass”
    Bass and Bass sound completely different however have identical spellings.

Homonymic puns
    These are probably one of the more common ones you hear from me. It's an exploitation of both homographic and homophonic.
    A perfect example is the joke “Politics is like playing golf. You are trapped in one bad lie after another.”

Compound puns
    Compound puns sound complex but are really straight-forward. It's simply making more than one pun after another. Basically, expert level puns for people like me :V
    Two phrases that share a word can also be included in the compound pun definition.

Recursive puns
    These puns require a knowledge of the element being spoken about. These are probably the highest tier puns given that it's combining a knowledge of language AND subject.
    For example, in the book The Da Vinci Code. Robert Langdon is passing by a column that someone had marked “This column is Ionic”. Langdon chuckles thinking that they mean Ionic columns and states that it's a Doric when the physicist he was walking with corrected him stating that it was made of ions.

Many well-known people are punsters. You may know a few such as George Carlin, Oscar Wilde, Lewis Carroll, and my man Shakespeare.
    There have also been many more recorded puns and punsters in history. Any one can pun, BUT not everyone can pun well.

Punning rules: There are only two but in many cases, people break them

-Context:
    Context is key to everything. You can create your own context or you can use whatever situation you're into your advantage. Either way, it's important to know relevance. For instance, you wouldn't make a fruit pun in a discussion about cats, would you? No. It has no relevance at all.

-Redundancy
    Redundancy is a no-no. You know how people get annoyed with all of those “The cake is a lie” jokes? Yeah, no one likes repetition. It just shows that you're desperate in trying to be witty. No one likes a try-hard. The best thing to do is broaden vocabulary and basic knowledge of some subjects won't hurt either.

This concludes a small lesson from your favorite pun-dantic wolf.

You may now discuss all that are puns.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Tybalt

Weasyl
    N/A
    All a part of trials and trillby-lations
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.