Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: MMO Discussion

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I NEVER PLAYED RO though I always wanted to because its graphics were so damn cute. I loved the sort of sprite look for it... But now I'm too old and busy to start a new game like that... Well wait okay no I'm not I'M JUST SCARED TO TRY AND GET ADDICTED...
    RO is way too addicting. YOU WILL GET LOST IN IT FOREVER I PROMISE.

Quote Originally Posted by demu View Post
    ro is way too addicting. You will get lost in it forever i promise.
    woah then i guess i should avoid it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hawken isn't an MMO. It's f2p like Blacklight retribution. Idk though if it'll become p2w

Weasyl
    N/A
    F2P games always have a way of pissing me off and disappointing me. Hence why nowadays I steer clear of them. Whenever I see an F2P release on Steam, I just ignore it.

P2P I don't have many thoughts on, usually because I can't afford to pay out the arse monthly. Though if I had the money, I think I'd be trying EVE online.

B2P is pretty much every game I have, nevermind MMOs.

Gibbarse there are some quite good f2p games out there.
    Team Fortress 2, Blacklight....

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Gibbarse there are some quite good f2p games out there.
    Team Fortress 2, Blacklight....
    I can't comment on Blacklight, but I really struggle to like TF2, despite having nearly 40 hours spent on it, according to steam. :[

Though I respect TF2 as a game, and I enjoy the TF2 universe. It also has a good model for F2P. I just don't like playing it.

Ragnarok Online was my huge addiction years ago- but never on the official servers. I've seen plenty of free RO servers come and go. Only a few good ones still endure. Even now I still have one of those installed just in case. it happens maybe once or twice a year... that I must play a little more of RO. It has a charm (and amazing music) that loves to pull me back in.

But overall I'm just no big fan of any of them. Wonderful graphics, decent story and even good game mechanics are nothing when the game is one gigantic tedious grind. Just like Facebook style games have the dreaded "energy" that makes me shun away. Way too many MMO's relay on endless grind to pad things out to keep you around. It kills the game for me.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I'd say my favorite model is f2p with an ingame cash shop (outfits and stuff, nothing gamebreaking)

The absolute best f2p I know (and I've played dozens) is without a doubt FlyFF (short for Fly For Fun, silly name but wonderful game). Of course, that's after Runescape Classic, but since less than 200 players still play it, it's pretty much dead. After that, I'd say Dark Eden was a pretty neat MMO till it got ruined by hackers and the devs gave up on it. Finally, Thang Online and Turf Battles have interesting level systems and can be pretty fun if you've got people to play with.

As far as p2p goes, WoW is of course the best, though that may be a bit biased since it's really the only p2p I've played (unless Runescape's membership counts)

b2p? Guild Wars, I too can't think of anything else :V. Though I have to admit that Guild Wars was incredibly boring to me. It's just so bland, long and repetitive. Plus I kinda like to actually have more than 20 levels.

I like the guild wars model. Buy it and play it for free.

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hawken isn't an MMO. It's f2p like Blacklight retribution. Idk though if it'll become p2w
    It's an MMOFPS. MMO simply stands for massively multiplayer online (game), which is solely what games like Hawken, Tribes: Ascend, and BL:R focus on. Massive multiplayer. c: It can be confusing though - that's why the MMO genre has subgenres; MMORPG, MMOFPS, MMORTS, and so on.~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I can't comment on Blacklight, but I really struggle to like TF2, despite having nearly 40 hours spent on it, according to steam. :[

Though I respect TF2 as a game, and I enjoy the TF2 universe. It also has a good model for F2P. I just don't like playing it.
    I'm EXACTLY the same. I've tried to like it because all my friends like it, but to no avail. ;_; But you can't ignore the fact it's an objectively quality game!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdragonblue View Post
    Way too many MMO's relay on endless grind to pad things out to keep you around. It kills the game for me.
    I'm probably in the minority of people that really enjoy grind TO keep me playing longer. But I only tend to like the grind if I like the game itself, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    I like the guild wars model. Buy it and play it for free.
    Yes! If I'm gonna be playing a game I love, I want to feel like I own it, you know? That's why I love b2p. The temporary cash shop items in f2p games make them feel very monotonous. Redundant.