Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: MMO Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    It's an MMOFPS. MMO simply stands for massively multiplayer online (game), which is solely what games like Hawken, Tribes: Ascend, and BL:R focus on. Massive multiplayer. c: It can be confusing though - that's why the MMO genre has subgenres; MMORPG, MMOFPS, MMORTS, and so on.~
    I'd hate to stomp your stamps, but:
    "A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously... ... MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on a company owned server."

MMO is not a game that has thousands of players on small servers like Tribes ascend or BL:R. They're just popular games.
    By your definition Mw3 would be a MMO.

I'd just like to point this out here

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    I'd hate to stomp your stamps, but:
    "A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously... ... MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on a company owned server."

MMO is not a game that has thousands of players on small servers like Tribes ascend or BL:R. They're just popular games.
    By your definition Mw3 would be a MMO.

I'd just like to point this out here
    Yes, yes, of course! That is exactly what an MMO is and that is exactly what these games are. When a game is specifically meant for mass multiplayer, it falls under the MMO category - be it a persistent world or instanced worlds. In the end the categorization of a game is dependent upon the developer, but yeah, that does not change the definition you listed above. c:

I'm extremely happy that MMOs have become more popular. ; W;
    Last edited by Demu; 07-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Sigh, they're just multiplayer exclusive games.
    But whatever.

Weasyl
    aetius
    Would you look at that, Old Republic will become free to play.

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Yeah I heard about that! It's kind of concerning though, because I thought it was such a popular game. ; o; I imagine TERA will follow suit later on. Huge hype, but then it just kinda died out. ):

Playing Vanilla and BC in WoW was a real joy, playing WotLK and purchasing Cata grew into huge regrets as they progressed. WoW turned me off on all P2P games, especially once I started to find much more entertaining B2P games, and even the seldom quality F2P.

Not a surprise here! Too many people (such as me) avoided it I suppose.

I saw that coming. Played it for a month, dropped it at the end.

Game didn't have much going for it beyond story.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #28
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Thread title changed as requested.

I personally don't play too many MMORPGS these days. Played tons in the past, beta tests several, and so forth.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2 to come out and then I'll be playing that. :3

If I get bored of GW2 though I'd definitely go back to TERA. Fun game, made millions in the AH during it's first month of release, and got to level 35.

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    Thread title changed as requested.

I personally don't play too many MMORPGS these days. Played tons in the past, beta tests several, and so forth.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2 to come out and then I'll be playing that. :3

If I get bored of GW2 though I'd definitely go back to TERA. Fun game, made millions in the AH during it's first month of release, and got to level 35.
    I'm going to try out Guild Wars 2 when it comes out - I enjoyed the beta. <3 I /really/ like TERA but I don't like the costliness of it. ;~; I got to 30 something.. I'm pretty sure it was 36 or 37, around the Pora Elinu area.

Guild wars 2 seems interesting. Might grab it when it's not full price