Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: MMO Discussion

  1. #1
    Senior Demu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Demu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112

    MMO Discussion

    MMOs are an amazing genre for me. They let me connect with people in ways that make long distance friendships feel that much closer. I love talking about MMOs. I'm so happy that there are so many cooperative and multiplayer games coming out in the past few years. ;_; I'd like to discuss MMOs in this topic!

    Free to play, pay to play, and buy to play - f2p, p2p, and b2p respectively - are three popular payment models for massively multiplayer online games. All three of these models have their own pros and cons, but what's the point of them? What sort of effect to they have on gameplay or a community? I'd like to discuss that here.

    Pay to Play
    Up until around 2008 pay to play MMOs were the most common types of online games, including renowned titles like World of Warcraft, Lineage II, and Final Fantasy XI. A pay to play model is when you pay a monthly fee to continue getting access to the game. Most p2p games also require you to buy their game at a retailer as well, so you are spending quite a pretty penny on these games, as their average subscription costs range from $10-$15 per month. A lot of games that were once pay to play have since switched to the free to play model in favor of its popularity.

    Examples of pay to play MMOs:



    Free to Play
    Free to play MMOs are games where there is no fee to access and play them at all. This model has taken a MASSIVE leap into the mainstream thanks to Facebook games like Farmville (eugh) that sport microtransactions. A microtransaction is when you are paying a small (or large in some cases) fee to get perks in various f2p games, either temporarily or permanently. These perks may be anything from experience point multipliers, vanity items that change your character's appearance, or even more powerful weapons. In some f2p games, like Spiral Knights, they offer in game "points" ("crystal energy" in Spiral Knights) that act as a sort of wallet for your account. You can add money at any time and use it for various things in the game. Spiral Knights is one of the leading free to play games on the market.

    Examples of free to play MMOs:


    Buy to Play
    Lastly, there's buy to play, or b2p. Buy to play is when you buy the title at a retailer or via digital download and then the game is completely free from then on out. Guild Wars is probably the most popular franchise I can think of that uses this model. Later on, some buy to play games may add content expansions for an extra fee.

    Examples of buy to play MMOs:


    What is your favorite pay model? Least favorite? I personally prefer buy to play. I wish more games used it. ):

    Discuss!
    Last edited by Demu; 08-01-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Changed topic to "MMO Discussion"

  2. #2
    I prefer Free to Play honestly. Mostly because that was the sort of game I always enjoyed playing because I couldn't afford subscription fees for other games. Not to mention they usually have a lot cuter graphics and I dig that (or at least the ones I played did lol).

  3. #3
    Senior Demu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Demu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I prefer Free to Play honestly. Mostly because that was the sort of game I always enjoyed playing because I couldn't afford subscription fees for other games. Not to mention they usually have a lot cuter graphics and I dig that (or at least the ones I played did lol).
    Yeah, South Korea popularized the free to play market long before it was mainstream. They're hipsters I guess. A lot of Korean MMOs are cutesy 'n such, like Ragnarok Online, Dragon Saga, or MapleStory. I'm always iffy between buy to play and free to play models. ;_; They're both so good.

    Which games do you play?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    Yeah, South Korea popularized the free to play market long before it was mainstream. They're hipsters I guess. A lot of Korean MMOs are cutesy 'n such, like Ragnarok Online, Dragon Saga, or MapleStory. I'm always iffy between buy to play and free to play models. ;_; They're both so good.

    Which games do you play?
    I like Free to Play because... I'm not sure why. I think it's because I like spending my money on pixelated objects lmao.

    I've played Maplestory, LaTale, and Trickster. I will occasionally go back to one or the other of them. There's just that nostalgia factor there. ;3;

  5. #5
    Senior Demu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Demu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I like Free to Play because... I'm not sure why. I think it's because I like spending my money on pixelated objects lmao.

    I've played Maplestory, LaTale, and Trickster. I will occasionally go back to one or the other of them. There's just that nostalgia factor there. ;3;
    All of those are good games. <3 Ragnarok Online was my MAIN THING for like.. 6 years or more?? That game was my druuuug.

  6. #6
    Regular ChitterBox's Avatar
    Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    69
    I'm a bit torn between P2P and F2P. With P2P you usually get some sort of higher quality from the game and the community, but you have no idea what it's like until you've already attached a credit card to your account and bought the game. With F2P you get to try before you invest anything, and only have to invest when you feel like it's worth your money, but the quality seems a little lackluster and the community can be rather obnoxious.

    Then again I've enjoyed one of each, them being Final Fantasy XI and Dungeons and Dragons Online, so I guess the games themselves are more of a deciding point than their payment methods.

  7. #7
    Senior Demu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Demu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattie Rayner View Post
    I'm a bit torn between P2P and F2P. With P2P you usually get some sort of higher quality from the game and the community, but you have no idea what it's like until you've already attached a credit card to your account and bought the game. With F2P you get to try before you invest anything, and only have to invest when you feel like it's worth your money, but the quality seems a little lackluster and the community can be rather obnoxious.

    Then again I've enjoyed one of each, them being Final Fantasy XI and Dungeons and Dragons Online, so I guess the games themselves are more of a deciding point than their payment methods.
    Yeah, there are some RIDICULOUSLY good f2p games coming out recently, like Hawken (see link in OP). It's always the games that matter more then the payment model. :3

    I do wish more p2p games would offer free trials though, to let you experience /just/ enough of the action to get you interested. Kinda like what TERA did with their instant demo here (you'll need Java installed): http://tera.enmasse.com/try-tera

  8. #8
    Regular ChitterBox's Avatar
    Weasyl
    ChitterBox
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    69
    Ooh, Tera offers a trial? I'll have to try that in the future!

    And there are some ridiculously good F2Ps out there, like Hawken as you mentioned and Dungeons and Dragons Online. Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be F2P as well, and I am completely psyched for its release. I just hope I can find time to play it X3.

  9. #9
    Senior Demu's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Demu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattie Rayner View Post
    Ooh, Tera offers a trial? I'll have to try that in the future!

    And there are some ridiculously good F2Ps out there, like Hawken as you mentioned and Dungeons and Dragons Online. Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be F2P as well, and I am completely psyched for its release. I just hope I can find time to play it X3.
    Yeah! For TERA's instant demo you don't need to download anything at all, it just plays through your browser. :3

    I was stoked to find out PSO2 was being released in English - I currently play it in Japanese and it's kinda difficult. LOL. The translation patch doesn't work anymore. ;_;

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    All of those are good games. <3 Ragnarok Online was my MAIN THING for like.. 6 years or more?? That game was my druuuug.
    I NEVER PLAYED RO though I always wanted to because its graphics were so damn cute. I loved the sort of sprite look for it... But now I'm too old and busy to start a new game like that... Well wait okay no I'm not I'M JUST SCARED TO TRY AND GET ADDICTED...

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •