Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes
    What's even worse about that one is that it made it into PRL.
    Well, I don't know how physics journals are, but astronomy ones tend to have something around a 90% acceptance rate for submitted articles. I think the philosophy is that if an article is bogus, people will criticize the hell out of it after it's published. What annoys me is that this is always the kind of stuff that makes it into the news, even though it's complete nonsense. But hey, if you don't know any better, there's a lot of math in there so it must be correct.
    Also, the lead author's personal webpage appears to contain a lot more along those lines.
    I love it when people list their patents. You know how you get a patent? You apply for one.

    Would that all the smartest folks had a wee bit of humility so they don't fall into these self-made traps.

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Didn't try, Succeeded Fay V's Avatar



    Weasyl
    Fayv
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Well, I don't know how physics journals are, but astronomy ones tend to have something around a 90% acceptance rate for submitted articles. I think the philosophy is that if an article is bogus, people will criticize the hell out of it after it's published. What annoys me is that this is always the kind of stuff that makes it into the news, even though it's complete nonsense. But hey, if you don't know any better, there's a lot of math in there so it must be correct.

    I love it when people list their patents. You know how you get a patent? You apply for one.

    Would that all the smartest folks had a wee bit of humility so they don't fall into these self-made traps.
    Now that I've been working with applications and resumes I've become critical of the people that pad out their CV and resume with things that really simple to accomplish. I swear someone noted conferences they attended. Not presented, but attended.

  3. #13
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Well, I don't know how physics journals are, but astronomy ones tend to have something around a 90% acceptance rate for submitted articles. I think the philosophy is that if an article is bogus, people will criticize the hell out of it after it's published. What annoys me is that this is always the kind of stuff that makes it into the news, even though it's complete nonsense. But hey, if you don't know any better, there's a lot of math in there so it must be correct.
    Physical Review Letters is pretty much the top physics journal outside of Science and Nature. I don't know its acceptance rate but it is relatively exclusive. Most articles overflow to the other APS journals like Physical Review B and the ridiculous number of topic focused journals from other publishers. The bottom line is that there would have been a huge number of actual physics articles turned down so that this thing could get a spot in PRL. Then again, I'm not sure why we even bother with journals anymore since everyone involved with a given subfield gets the results early from either arXiv or privately circulated manuscripts.

  4. #14
    Senior Lucy Bones's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    462
    If you can't get a fantastic degree, you should totally kill yourself.

  5. #15
    Senior Tybby's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of Emotions and Photons
    Gender
    Moist
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    If you can't get a fantastic degree, you should totally kill yourself.
    ahaha what

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Cold as Fire Eminoxic's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Eminoxic
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    No where
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    If you can't get a fantastic degree, you should totally kill yourself.
    No, I want you to kill me!
    [1:14:39 AM] Kihari: I guess I should go shower and find something to eat
    [1:15:00 AM] Eminoxic: or go eat and find something to shower
    [1:15:13 AM] Kihari: if you come with me I promise I'll let you drop the soap

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    If you can't get a fantastic degree, you should totally kill yourself.
    I don't want to be impolite; you first, sweetie.

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    Didn't try, Succeeded Fay V's Avatar



    Weasyl
    Fayv
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,379
    Not sure what that had to do with the price of tea in china, but could we kindly get back on topic?

    Honestly I'm curious about the stats in terms of the dept size and number of doctoral students for his group. I'm curious how such a dissertation would get through, was the dept overworked or was it really not an issue to them?

  9. #19
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    Looks like Heritage actually fired Richwine on Friday. Which is to say, Richwine managed to complete a dissertation so nutty it got him fired from the goddamn Heritage Foundation. I do not have enough alcohol on hand in my office to even begin to wrap my head around that.

    Both David Weigel and a writer with The Nation appear to have tracked down Richwine's PhD committee. Both of which just make it all the more confusing how this got minted into a doctorate. Since it looks like more information is in play now I'll have to give it a further look later.

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20
    Didn't try, Succeeded Fay V's Avatar



    Weasyl
    Fayv
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Looks like Heritage actually fired Richwine on Friday. Which is to say, Richwine managed to complete a dissertation so nutty it got him fired from the goddamn Heritage Foundation. I do not have enough alcohol on hand in my office to even begin to wrap my head around that.

    Both David Weigel and a writer with The Nation appear to have tracked down Richwine's PhD committee. Both of which just make it all the more confusing how this got minted into a doctorate. Since it looks like more information is in play now I'll have to give it a further look later.
    Hmm, that does shed a bit more light. You and Frank may know more about this than me, but I thought it was common practice to put your findings into context and discuss the possible issues that might occur in validity or the development of policy. So you know, mentioning that it's also related to socioeconomic status.

    I can understand why he pushed through a concept of policy and went to what he considered a logical conclusion, but I fail to see how a board missed something like that.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •