Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Onnes

How to feel better about not having a doctorate from Harvard.

Today the Heritage Foundation once again accidentally served the public good by murdering their own anti-immigration arguments through the delivery an incredibly faulty study co-authored by public racist. What is truly amazing, though, is that that co-author, Jason Richwine, has an actual Harvard doctorate in public policy with a dissertation featuring statements like the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Not your senile aunt
    "The statistical construct known as IQ can reliably estimate general mental ability, or intelligence. The average IQ of immigrants in the United States is substantially lower than that of the white native population, and the difference is likely to persist over several generations. The consequences are a lack of socioeconomic assimilation among low-IQ immigrant groups, more underclass behavior, less social trust, and an increase in the proportion of unskilled workers in the American labor market. Selecting high-IQ immigrants would ameliorate these problems in the U.S., while at the same time benefiting smart potential immigrants who lack educational access in their home countries."
    "No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites, but the prediction that new Hispanic immigrants will have low-IQ children and grandchildren is difficult to argue against. "
    Richwine received his PhD in 2009 for this work. From Harvard. It's like The Onion decided to do a piece making light of the intellectual merits of Public Policy programs, except this involves a real doctoral dissertation from one of the top universities on Earth. I mean come on, "white native"? I am truly in awe.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    is IQ even genetic

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybby View Post
    is IQ even genetic
    Unless you have a mental condition, nope. It mostly depends on how you're raised.

Weasyl
    Small
    is IQ even genetic
    i'm gonna throw some science at this.

Donald Hebb's model of Intelligence A and B sections a portion of brain function (and IQ) to synaptic organization (Intelligence A), which is almost exclusively genetic, but the resulting connections and moulding of that system depends on the environment and potential threats to neural activity, such as disease (Intelligence B). So... it's not inaccurate to state that population groups can have lower average IQ's, but there's too much variance in environment to call it conclusive, or to have it as argumentative evidence.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    The problem is that, to identify robust genetic factors in intelligence, you need to actually measure intelligence. You aren't going to find much strict agreement among different people as to how one even defines intelligence, though. And the measures we tend to use, such as IQ, vary significantly at the population level on time scales far, far shorter than can be explained by genetics. And absent some sort of theory (that doesn't suck) to separate out the different factors entering into those intelligence measurements you can't say much other than that while there is likely genetic influence to intelligence, its significance is infinitely debateable. Of course, all of this is besides the point of the silliness of considering human "racial" intelligence when the races in question can and do mix genes at an ever increasing rate and are largely culturally defined in the first place.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    MLR
    You have a physics degree, right, Onnes? Here's something else that came out of Harvard recently: http://www.alexwg.org/publications/P...110-168702.pdf

I especially love the conclusion:
    In conclusion, we have explicitly proposed a novel
    physical connection between adaptive behavior and en-
    tropy maximization, based on a causal generalization of
    entropic forces. We have examined in detail the effect of
    such causal entropic forces for the general case of a clas-
    sical mechanical system partially connected to a heat
    reservoir, and for the specific cases of a variety of simple
    example systems. We found that some of these systems
    exhibited sophisticated spontaneous behaviors associated
    with the human ‘‘cognitive niche,’’ including tool use and
    social cooperation, suggesting a potentially general ther-
    modynamic model of adaptive behavior as a nonequilib-
    rium process in open systems
    I've always felt like the Ivy League schools do a wonderful job of teaching people how to argue, but a more or less average job teaching people how to think.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Fayv
    is IQ even genetic
    To my knowledge there is only one thing that correlates to IQ consistently. Socioeconomic class. It's how you were raised and what opportunities are available.

So thinking for a moment, immigrants on average have a lower IQ, they also have lower socioeconomic opportunities. The IQ test I know has a large section dedicated explicitly towards words and word meanings, so it's not exactly in their favor.

this is also helpful when you hear radio commercials "children growing up in homes have higher IQs" yes, but it's not because the homes themselves. it's because middle class parents tend to own their own home.

Less social trust? what? How the fuck is that even being defined? I realize anecdotal evidence is not evidence but when I lived in texas it was high matriarchy. You see a lot of extreme social trust in low socioeconomic groups with high mistrust for the "outsider".

I am not surprised harvard is not pushing out the highest quality. Ivy League started as a method of networking and remains as such. I am shocked that something like that made it through however. I mean hell, I got run through the ringer even on an undergrad thesis at my land grant institution...

*Reads OP* WOOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! So uh...did anyone's head roll over that crap?

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    In conclusion, we have explicitly proposed a novel
    physical connection between adaptive behavior and en-
    tropy maximization, based on a causal generalization of
    entropic forces. We have examined in detail the effect of
    such causal entropic forces for the general case of a clas-
    sical mechanical system partially connected to a heat
    reservoir, and for the specific cases of a variety of simple
    example systems. We found that some of these systems
    exhibited sophisticated spontaneous behaviors associated
    with the human ‘‘cognitive niche,’’ including tool use and
    social cooperation, suggesting a potentially general ther-
    modynamic model of adaptive behavior as a nonequilib-
    rium process in open systems
    It took me a minute but I remember now where I recognize this writing style from

Quote Originally Posted by FATAL
    Finally, observe that when these sub-abilities and abilities are determined initially for a character, the abilities are determined for young adults. After the sub-abilities are described and the tables presented, aging effects are illustrated which must be referenced throughout the character's life. The last chapter details how two abilities, Physical Fitness and Strength, may be increased through persistent exercise, and also, an alternate rolling method is presented.
    It's the not-english from FATAL where they say things in the longest way possible. Like jesus christ that conclusion is twice as long as it needs to be.

Bonus points for them both being incredibly racist

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    You have a physics degree, right, Onnes?
    Yep, grad student currently.

Here's something else that came out of Harvard recently: ...
    What's even worse about that one is that it made it into PRL. From what little I've read on it--I have too many submission deadlines imminent--the authors basically reinvented a concept that has existed in other fields for some time and slapped a grossly misleading reference to entropy on it.

I think only an institution like Harvard could generate the colossal ego necessary to enable such silliness.
    Also, the lead author's personal webpage appears to contain a lot more along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    *Reads OP* WOOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! So uh...did anyone's head roll over that crap?
    Considering that the Heritage Foundation is pretty racist even on the best of days, I'm guessing they are only concerned about this particular incident generating too much negative publicity. I'm not familiar with whether or not they've historically tended to eject those wingnuts that step too far over the line.
    Last edited by Onnes; 05-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.