Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    I would have to disagree with your reasoning here.
    You say this, but

Open source software really doesn't have a hard time being competitive, providing it is a tool that programmers use. The problem that we have is, primarily we (as in open source developers) are not usually visual artists. We have the skill necessary to write applications, and when those applications are to be used in a field we understand (like software development) we can quite easily and competitively create well crafted tools for the purpose. However, there are very few people who both have the skill necessary to make applications and the skill necessary for visual art. Because of this we typically get very little in the ways of end user patches. Not very many artists will have a problem with gimp, sit down with the source code to write a fix, then share it with the maintainer.
    You then state that it's hard to find volunteers with the time and skills necessary to make a competitive product. You've more as less stated why this kind of model works for some applications but far from all applications. I'm confused as to the disagreement.

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    You say this, but

You then state that it's hard to find volunteers with the time and skills necessary to make a competitive product. You've more as less stated why this kind of model works for some applications but far from all applications. I'm confused as to the disagreement.
    No, I'm saying we don't get enough qualified feedback. We have plenty of people with the time and skill necessary for these projects, but we don't get nearly enough useful end-user feedback from the artists using our tools as most of them are not familiar with the process of contributing feedback or patches to a large project.

Motivation has nothing to do with it, nor does the licensing model.

Adobe Creative Coud: Worth it?

Well, I guess this thread is about half "what are your opinions?" and half "how can I make the best of my situation?". What are your guy's opinions on the CC? "Best thing ever", or "why would you do that?". Honestly, it sounds tempting, and as a student, I can get a bit of discount. Still though, I 'd really rather buy the product and "own" it instead of having to pay subscription fees, and I know it'll end up costing more in the long run.

Also on the off chance that I somehow missed it, does Adobe offer payment plans for the Creative Suite products? Specifically this one?

As a hobbyist not in school anymore ... nope can't like it, already been looking around at alternatives for if my PS version would ever stop working.

Happy to report there are a lot of art programs around lately, hell even free ones, that are worth their buck.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #35
    This is a bit better suited for the Art General subforum, so I moved it over here.

Merged with "Adobe to switch to Subscription-Only model, ends Standalone Apps" in Tech instead. Thanks QT.
    Last edited by Rory; 02-25-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Thread Merge

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    So not to be repetitive, there was already a thread discussing this

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...creative+cloud

Weasyl
    willy
    I can see it having more application for people who use it constantly as opposed to a person who draws or designs every once in awhile. I can also see it having more application for schools/universities too. Since it's in a cloud, you don't have to install the necessary programs onto every single computer by disk and can instead install from Adobe's website if I'm not mistaken.

And for a monthly fee, I find $50 to be really pricy for software.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I can see it having more application for people who use it constantly as opposed to a person who draws or designs every once in awhile. I can also see it having more application for schools/universities too. Since it's in a cloud, you don't have to install the necessary programs onto every single computer by disk and can instead install from Adobe's website if I'm not mistaken.

And for a monthly fee, I find $50 to be really pricy for software.

50 is the highest plan with more than one program 20 I believe is the lowest and just for Photoshop.

Weasyl
    irick
    You know, I'm really kinda pissed at this trend we are going in general. I hate the idea that we 'licence' our software, ebooks, MP3s, games, etc.
    I wonder if we really realise just all that we are giving up with these subscription services like netflix, office 360, pandora/spotify, steam et all.
    =/
    At the very least with the old model you could sell or give away your old licence keys when you were done with software.
    But i digress, I suppose...
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    You know, I'm really kinda pissed at this trend we are going in general. I hate the idea that we 'licence' our software, ebooks, MP3s, games, etc.
    I wonder if we really realise just all that we are giving up with these subscription services like netflix, office 360, pandora/spotify, steam et all.
    =/
    At the very least with the old model you could sell or give away your old licence keys when you were done with software.
    But i digress, I suppose...
    Having more space for one. Lower costs. It has always been a license this wasn't really a trend, the difference was how it was distributed because they couldn't really figure out how to enforce it. Back then it was also harder to pirate online. Now that people have faster speeds distribution has become easier.

Some things I don't mind because before I used to collect DVDs and run out of space. Now I can be more particular about what I want to watch and keep.

I'm not saying I really support what Adobe has done because if there is an option to keep software for longer term I'd like that vs "renting" but there are advantages to streaming, leasing and online rentals.