Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Looks like there's no low corporations WON'T stoop to for greed after all.

And it's not even that being able to rent the software is a bad option. It would actually be nice for those times when you only need to use it for a month or so, and it is a way to start using Creative Suite without having to save up the cost of the whole package. What's really annoying about this is that they aren't giving us a choice.

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    Quote Originally Posted by rbartrop View Post
    And it's not even that being able to rent the software is a bad option. It would actually be nice for those times when you only need to use it for a month or so, and it is a way to start using Creative Suite without having to save up the cost of the whole package. What's really annoying about this is that they aren't giving us a choice.
    It gets darker than that, at present, there are no laws that would compel them to rent their software to anyone or to renew the lease of anyone renting it.
    Last edited by JRWenzel; 05-26-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Adobe is the best product. It has document viewer, photoshop editor, flash player and few other products.....

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Quote Originally Posted by KumatoraKazooie View Post
    http://www.iclarified.com/29809/adob...ion-only-model

This is stupid. We are no longer owning the software we use for art, just borrowing it. Bad move, you just lost another customer (and possibly even more).

Time to start saving up for Sai...
    I've heard great things about Sai and Manga Studio.

Weasyl
    Tica
    I only ever used Adobe Creative Suite products in school. In high school I used CorelDRAW, these days I use GIMP and Inkscape, and I also recently upgraded my old Manga Studio Debut 3 to Manga Studio 5, which was $70 for the physical-copy upgrade, but I'm thinking worth it as I get used to the program.

Adobe never had me as a customer, but I guarantee it never will. :/

I strongly suggest Manga Studio 5; it takes some getting used to but it draws sleek lines and the color tools make inputting flats take no time at all. I don't remember CorelDRAW very much (I don't have it anymore) but all I ever used was it's vector part. Inkscape is really intuitive for vectors and I actually prefer it to Illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by rbartrop View Post
    Choice?! What do you think this is, a free-market system or something? I mean, sure, the world under corporate, oligarchic rule is ostensibly capitalist, but hardly free-market. Far from it. They want to limit the range of options and bleed dry the hard-earned dollars of those among us who actually work for a living as much as any government, if not more.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Ahh, software as a service. Both a great and terrible idea all at once.

Well, one thing Creative Cloud has over regular Adobe CS is that it's less expensive assuming you're always buying the latest releases, and way more affordable for the little guys, especially if you just use it when you need it. You also get the option of running it on a Mac or PC without buying a separate copy, and you get the latest version all the time.

Downside? ... You don't own the software. Subscription ends? Bloop. Gonzo.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    While I am not happy about the change, software has always been under a lease restriction. If you read your agreement it says "License" not ownership. The only reason it wasn't utilized as one prior is because the means to distribute it made it difficult to implement. Now Adobe can control this aspect more.

It's not that I don't understand their concern for piracy either. I do however, question their ethics when they had simply overcharged customers overseas not because of VAT or duty fees when exporting goods - it was a matter that they simply could. Australia was a big victim of this problem and anyone who could have bought the program for a more reasonable price in USD, were redirected to the higher price for Australia through domain detection. It wasn't until the government had to step in and put in measures to stop this practice.

That still doesn't exactly justify pirating Adobe products, but I think it sets up flags as a consumer who you are dealing with. Especially since the choices were limited if you are working for a company. For web posting, many software will do the job just fine, but when it comes to print Adobe is still the major choice.

I have to agree with some of the earlier posts; They're going to lose out by not offering the full version as it's standalone expensive application.

Had I not had the option to download Office 2010 then 2013 Pro+ from employers I would still be using office 2007 over Office 365.

Likewise, I'd rather have a knockoff copy of CS5 (or even a retail copy) and not have to use cloud muck. It's not the future because the internet can't cope with it (Which PlayStation are learning with their Now service)
    Last edited by Nightpaws; 01-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.