Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie

Adobe to switch to Subscription-Only model, ends Standalone Apps

http://www.iclarified.com/29809/adob...ion-only-model

This is stupid. We are no longer owning the software we use for art, just borrowing it. Bad move, you just lost another customer (and possibly even more).

Time to start saving up for Sai...

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    And thus it begins . . .

I was wondering who would fire the first shot in the campaign to end software ownership by end users.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    Aden
    So let's say I want to get some design work done on a plane or somewhere else without internet access. Will the subscription applications even launch if a connection is not present?

Aside from that, I don't appreciate the idea of renting my software. CS6 is going to stick around for a long time

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    So let's say I want to get some design work done on a plane or somewhere else without internet access. Will the subscription applications even launch if a connection is not present?
    Check the FAQ; sorry, I don’t want to risk paraphrasing it.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

I strongly suggest that anyone buying into this read the terms of use very, very carefully; there is way too much potential for problems in a scenario like this so you should be as informed as possible especially if your livelihood is in any way involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aden View Post
    Aside from that, I don't appreciate the idea of renting my software. CS6 is going to stick around for a long time
    Adobe – The software you never stop paying for.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    A foolish and shortsighted decision on their part, methinks. I wouldn't be surprised that directly because of this piracy of the software will increase tenfold. Subscription-based payment models became incredibly unpopular in the online gaming population for a reason. I wonder just who it was and why they thought that this was a good idea...

Forgive the lack of techno-savy, but...let's say this sort of thing become industry standard. Isn't it pretty much a guarantee that an "open source" (is that the terminology?) equivalent to their software will be made that circumvents their attempts at controlling the end users?

Weasyl
    Dark
    Cloud services don't work in Ontario. For that you can blame Bell and Rogers.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercougar View Post
    Forgive the lack of techno-savy, but...let's say this sort of thing become industry standard. Isn't it pretty much a guarantee that an "open source" (is that the terminology?) equivalent to their software will be made that circumvents their attempts at controlling the end users?
    There are already free and open source competitors to various Adobe products, like GIMP in comparison to Photoshop. The problem is that it's hard to develop a product in such a mannerer that is actually competitive, since no one involved is really getting paid. (Obviously, there are many exceptions, but the economics at play here sets the overall trend.)

I think this move by Adobe is just a continuation of their existing licensing structure which is primarily aimed at professionals and businesses. Adobe software licenses have already been absurd for personal and casual use. Most individuals will just pirate the new cloud versions just like they did all the older ones.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    I think this move by Adobe is just a continuation of their existing licensing structure which is primarily aimed at professionals and businesses. Adobe software licenses have already been absurd for personal and casual use. Most individuals will just pirate the new cloud versions just like they did all the older ones.
    On the contrary, I think Adobe is aiming to convert more at the casual and 'prosumer' market to paying customers with this. 20 bucks a month for photoshop sounds a lot more affordable to a potential customer than 600 up front. Not having to pay for upgrade licenses is also alluring. The price may be on par or greater in the long run, but the barrier to entry is much, much lower.

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    This is just screaming Pandora’s Box to me . . .
    If Adobe succeeds in this, other vendors will follow and we could soon find ourselves in a situation where we have to pay month to month just to use our own machines; Secure Boot under Windows 8 holds the specter of Microsoft being able to lock-out startup on a machine-specific basis.