Weasyl
    JRWenzel

Digital artists Are you a lumenist or pigmentest?

Which color model/theory do you usually use in your works and why?

For myself, Im a lumenist; my work is entirely digital/optical so, for me, light-theory is the natural choice.

do you mean to ask if someone thinks either from lighting/shading or color

if so i think w color
    instead of seeing lights or shade i think 'oh thats this color' or 'oh i can make that this crazy color'
    tmblr - fa - da

Weasyl
    JRWenzel
    Quote Originally Posted by hotboychina View Post
    do you mean to ask if someone thinks either from lighting/shading or color

if so i think w color
    instead of seeing lights or shade i think 'oh thats this color' or 'oh i can make that this crazy color'
    It’s more along the line of the thought process when it comes to blending color.
    Basically light uses the additive model (colors shift towards white when blended) while pigments follow the subtractive model (colors shift towards black when blended).
    Which theory you use directly affects both the way you work and think in planning out and doing a piece.

Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie
    I'm kind of in between. I usually stick to a base color, lighten on one side and then darken on the other. The only time when I don;t color like this is when Im dealing with spheres.

Weasyl
    Abbi_Normal
    Same as Kumatora. I think. I do sort of do both at once in both directions. What I do--and I don't know if this is correct, but it seems similar to what other people seem to do, and gets me the best results I've managed so far, for all I know this is completely stupid--is I do the basic colour, with some minimal shading and highlights (dark under chin, light on forehead, etc) so most things are coloured with the dark medium and light shade of that colour all blended fairly smoothly. Then I have two overlay layers, one where I draw on the more complex/deeper shadows in black on one and the highlights in white on the other with the airbrush tool. The white overlayer is usually on top. If the light is coloured (a red sunset, for example), there will be another overlay layer above that. If the picture is darker than average--for example in a very dimly lit room--there may be more than one shadow layer. Or vice-versa.

What does that count as? (aside from probably wrong?)

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Aden
    In the rare times I paint, I tend to work from dark and add light. I'm coming from a rendering background, so it's a more logical workflow for me.

Weasyl
    Harrie
    Well, I think in light in that I consider reflective light and the colour of the light etc.
    But I approach colour selection using CMYK rather than RGB as it just feels more natural. So I'm working with light theories in mind, but I'm mixing my colours using subtractive techniques

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Well, I start with the middle and just go with warmer or cooler when shading. Like, my lizard is purple but if a certain area is darker, it will be blue and the lighter part will slowly move to redding pink. In case it's already in the blue zone, then I will start moving slowly toward black.

Don't know which category I go in but what I know is that I'm like most people, actually not using black shadow correctly to the point it's better and easier to just play with a bunch of color instead.