Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Professor Bias

Weasyl
    Rsyk

Professor Bias

So, when I was in high school I didn't take a lot of the stories of teacher bias in classrooms seriously. Mostly because it never happened to a noticeable extent, in my experience. I'm finishing up my first year in college now and...wow, it gets kinda blatant. I've had it for two or the classes now, from a few different political sides.
    I get that it's going to be literally impossible for someone to eliminate all bias from the way they teach, your personal beliefs are going to influence how you teach things regardless. But there's a difference between a slight leaning and interrupting your own lecture on Kantian ethics to go into a twenty minute tirade on the importance of overturning DOMA. Even I agree with you, that's not what this class is about.
    Anyone else have any sort of experience with this type of thing?

Weasyl
    Brace
    Yeah. I just think of them as an unscheduled break from class. It doesn't bother me especially.

Edit: why is my post count frozen at 39?

ajsdfjk;ladfsjl;kdfksdflkja;sfljsf;lj l;kjasdlkj lk;jasdljkaslkjdflk;adf;sjdfjfjfjfdjfdjkkjllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllll
    Last edited by Brace; 04-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    Yeah. I just think of them as an unscheduled break from class. It doesn't bother me especially.

Edit: why is my post count frozen at 39?
    Your post needs to have at least 150 characters for your post count to go up.

Weasyl
    Brace
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Your post needs to have at least 150 characters for your post count to go up.
    This is nonsensical. I understand the point is to put a disincentive on spam, but it penalizes people who communicate efficiently. Do spaces a punctuation count? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    This is nonsensical. I understand the point is to put a disincentive on spam, but it penalizes people who communicate efficiently. Do spaces a punctuation count? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Now changing title of thread to, "A discussion on the policy of weasyl post counts."
    The only rule will be that all posts must exceed one hundred and fifty characters.
    Including this one. :p

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fayv
    That bias thing is more prevelant in college because professors have academic freedom. Basically it grants professors the right to 1. research within their field. 2. have opinions and a life outside of school, and 3 (the relevant one) share their views if it pertains to the field they teach within.

This is to allow professors to teach and support the new ideas without worry of political push back, but at the same time it gets taken a bit far now and then, and of course they shouldn't allow it to bias their grades. But yeah, that's why you see these sorts of things happen, especially in the humanities where a lot of modern ideas are linked back to ancient ideas. woo.

Just to get us back on topic, since post count matters nothing.

This thread is reminding me of the various opinions that were thrown out by professor and student alike in my Ethics class. I imagine the professor's bias wouldn't be such a bad thing IF it allows for lively debate.

Weasyl
    N/A
    You'd need to be clear what you're calling bias and what's a problem. Him having an opinion might introduce bias but it's not necessarily the same thing and probably isn't a problem. If he holds a view and that prevents him from grading the opposing view in a fair manner then it is a problem and that is a bias. Having a bias in what he says is not an issue. I'd say those digressions from the class topics are actually one of the advantages of being at a college or university. You are there to learn to think independently and one of the best ways will be to see different views. You'll probably associate with people of generally similar opinions but you don't choose your lecturer so if you get one that rants about how good Kant is and one that takes the opposite view then you have a good opportunity to see both sides. Isn't that why you would go there? To learn more and open your mind to new viewpoints?

One of the most interesting lecturers I had was like that because he would continuously talk about related subjects through his lectures. It's a chance to learn things you otherwise wouldn't have heard about or an opportunity to see how what you're learning about in lectures can be applied in the real world. At worst it's a chance to see someone's passion, maybe that's someone you will want to go work with or maybe it's someone who will cause you to grow by challenging your own views.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

Weasyl
    foxboyprower
    I can't remember a time I've ever experienced this in a math class.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuen Growlithe View Post
    You'd need to be clear what you're calling bias and what's a problem. Him having an opinion might introduce bias but it's not necessarily the same thing and probably isn't a problem. If he holds a view and that prevents him from grading the opposing view in a fair manner then it is a problem and that is a bias. Having a bias in what he says is not an issue. I'd say those digressions from the class topics are actually one of the advantages of being at a college or university. You are there to learn to think independently and one of the best ways will be to see different views. You'll probably associate with people of generally similar opinions but you don't choose your lecturer so if you get one that rants about how good Kant is and one that takes the opposite view then you have a good opportunity to see both sides. Isn't that why you would go there? To learn more and open your mind to new viewpoints?

One of the most interesting lecturers I had was like that because he would continuously talk about related subjects through his lectures. It's a chance to learn things you otherwise wouldn't have heard about or an opportunity to see how what you're learning about in lectures can be applied in the real world. At worst it's a chance to see someone's passion, maybe that's someone you will want to go work with or maybe it's someone who will cause you to grow by challenging your own views.
    It's not that he was debating the value of Kant's work so much as that he was suspending the entire discussion of Kantian ethics to discuss politics while in no way relating it back to the subject at hand.
    I did not pay for college to learn how other people think. I paid for college to acquire a specific set of skills that would help me gain employment. Professors who would rather soapbox than teach are completely useless to me.
    College is not about expanding your mind, it's about acquiring a set of skills that will make you useful to other people, so that they will pay you to use those skills. And, to a lesser extent getting a signature on a piece of paper that other people can use as a barometer to judge your worth.