Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by certifiedkowaidad View Post
    Is socialization a bad thing? Aren't we social animals, and aren't all aspects of personality impacted by outside forces? It's true that I like a lot of things I do because I grew up with them, I'm used to them, I'm familiar with them. It scarcely bothers me that I don't like soccer in part because I didn't grow up around people who liked soccer. It seems difficult to cloister ourselves from all outside influences until emerging as a fully-grown unique and independent person. If it were possible, would that preferable?
    Socialization is NOT always a bad thing, no! I was merely using that saying it is a specific form of socialization- there are good and bad ways to "socialize" someone. It just depend on how it's done and the content.

You're absolutely right, we thrive on socializing in our lives and it's a basic need. My entire point was merely to state that I believe that specific type of socialization is a way of "forcing" gender roles onto someone.

It doesn't always work, because boys can play with girls toys because they choose, and vice-versa, but the media tries to enforce the stereotype that a boy playing with a girls' toy is "incorrect." Hence the article I mentioned about the boy dressing up in a girl's costume on Halloween. Here's the source:http://www.today.com/id/40069385/ns/.../#.Uu2j3fldXW8

I hope that makes sense.

In addition, I definitely agree with you that personalities are affected by outside forces, but I also feel they can be affected by the household. It does vary among individuals, but I was using what I saw the most in observation. When I'd sit down and watch TV with my brother, countless "gendered" toy commercials would come on, and I thought that was the best way I could explain it.

I can't really answer on whether or not what you mentioned would be preferrable- I'm sure people have tried it, but I can't speak for those who have and whether or not it's been successful.
    Last edited by Sacch; 02-01-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by certifiedkowaidad View Post
    People are tribal, we love labels and we naturally use lots of them to identify ourselves and others. Is this really so bad? Is it even something we can change? Does using the "trans" or "genderqueer" categories simply create additional labels through which we can identify? Outside of one's sex, for another example, many people identify by their culture, something else that they can't necessarily choose; is it wrong for people to do so? I guess my point is, can I reframe "treating a man like a man" as "treating an American like an American," as opposed to a Japanese, without being unfair or ignorant in some way?
    Oh, I read it the wrong way then. Labels aren't bad so long as they stay labels and not ways of segregating people further.

In all honesty I like having labels for things like this. It makes them seem a little more "normal" if there's a name for it because a lot of younger trans* people usually don't know what they're feeling or what it's called until sometime later unless they just so happen to stumble upon something about it

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    In all honesty I like having labels for things like this. It makes them seem a little more "normal" if there's a name for it because a lot of younger trans* people usually don't know what they're feeling or what it's called until sometime later unless they just so happen to stumble upon something about it
    I couldn't agree more. I know this isn't related to gender identity, but I once saw an individual post on twitter about how if someone hadn't known the term "asexual" existed, they would have considered themselves "abnormal and broken." As long as it's not really used to discriminate someone, I don't see the issue with a label either. "Cisgender" and "transgender" aren't used to discriminate people, but merely describe how they identify as a person. I like that.

Weasyl
    DivinePrince
    I am female, and identify female.
    And I am respectful of other identities; but it is my belief that they need psychiatric help/ advice first before they do anything about it. Gender dysphoria is a condition. And I'm one of the people who believe it is due to a lack of respective hormones getting to the brain and therefor causing confusion.
    Just an elusive non-anthro artist passing through.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I just read through the entire thread.

I'm a cisgender male. I have trans* friends and I know quite a bit about transgender. (I'm sorry, I really don't know of a better way to word that? I'm trying to say that I've researched and asked about transgender studies and brain chemistry before). I believe that people should be able to identify with whatever they want, be whoever they want, and go by whatever pronouns they want. If I address a trans person by the incorrect pronoun, I would like for them to correct me politely and I will do my best to address them in the correct manner.

That being said, I don't really understand the issues that are so deep inside of the trans community among trans people. I don't understand why some of the older trans people shun the younger ones or ones that wish to transition or start HRT. (I've actually been shown and told about this by trans friends, it's quite scary). It seems counter-productive to segregate and fight amongst one another when everybody is fighting for the same thing?

In regards to gender role preferences and identity, this documentary shows that these are conceived even before birth. I think that studies like this will push the LGBT issues further in the spotlight and hopefully aid in the movement getting more assistance from society.
    http://vimeo.com/19707588

I have to say though with complete honesty, that this thread has scared me about even seeking out more information on transgender issues from people other than my trans friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DivinePrince View Post
    I am female, and identify female.
    And I am respectful of other identities; but it is my belief that they need psychiatric help/ advice first before they do anything about it. Gender dysphoria is a condition. And I'm one of the people who believe it is due to a lack of respective hormones getting to the brain and therefor causing confusion.
    Why would trans* people need psychiatric help? If someone is gay,bi,asexual. ect.. you wouldn't have them see a psychiatrist before they could have consensual sex? Why prevent trans* people to move forward with their lives? Its incredibly arbitrary to prevent transgender people from getting the hormones they need if they so choose to undergo hormone replacement therapy. It is not very respectful to alienate people like that.
    @transfluffball on twitter <3

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    Quote Originally Posted by doublefluffed View Post
    Why would trans* people need psychiatric help? If someone is gay,bi,asexual. ect.. you wouldn't have them see a psychiatrist before they could have consensual sex? Why prevent trans* people to move forward with their lives? Its incredibly arbitrary to prevent transgender people from getting the hormones they need if they so choose to undergo hormone replacement therapy. It is not very respectful to alienate people like that.
    I would say talking to a therapist for a while before getting irreversible treatment is a good idea, and in my opinion should be mandatory. Many people find out that they might not be trans, but instead suffer from BDD or something similar. But obviously they shouldn't be getting "ex-gay" kind of treatment, to "force" the trans out of them.

Weasyl
    willy
    Eh, I'm not a doctor or a psychiatrist but from what I've heard from other people who have transitioned, they usually do a psych eval to make sure the person is mentally capable of handling hormone treatments. I mean hell, even cis women taking birth control are prone to mood instability after while. So it's more like they don't want you to kill yourself or someone else as soon as you start it. Or if you do get the okay for treatments, they want to know your condition ahead of time so they can monitor it better.

Although I honestly would encourage anyone to see a therapist if they really need one just for the simple fact is that talking to someone about your dysphoria really helps too in the event you don't have anyone to talk to about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PapayaShark View Post
    I would say talking to a therapist for a while before getting irreversible treatment is a good idea, and in my opinion should be mandatory. Many people find out that they might not be trans, but instead suffer from BDD or something similar. But obviously they shouldn't be getting "ex-gay" kind of treatment, to "force" the trans out of them.
    The thing is, most of hormone replacement therapy is reversible. Unless taken for years a lot of it is not permanent. While I totally agree having a psych help guide someone through hormone replacement therapy I do not think it should be run as a "you must be at least this trans* to get hormones" Often this causes trans* people to be labeled as mentally ill instead of listening to what the person wants. I say this because it is possible to be trans* and not experience gender dysphoria to a huge extent. It could be minimal and due to minimal dysphoria a lot of psychs would not clear people for hormones which is a serious issue.
    @transfluffball on twitter <3

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I do not think it should be run as a "you must be at least this trans* to get hormones"
    This is what I've been told by trans friends. I don't understand it, it's completely fucking bizarre to me. Why is it that someone has to have lived as their desired gender for X amount of years to be able to get a masectomy/implants or HRT when a cisgender person can go in and get any sort of plastic surgery done on any day of the week, no questions asked?
    A lot of people get plastic surgery done because they aren't satisfied with their bodies, they're self-conscious, why is it that trans people have to jump through so many hoops when they also suffer from being self-conscious to suicidal extents?