Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I don't like to associate myself with the word trans, but I'm Bisexual, I would like to think I am Genderfluid, I'm a guy, but I'm currently on HRT, a well satisfied conscious decision to want to go on it, I didn't want to do through with psychological assessments, because of how strongly I felt about wanting to do it. I'm a good 4-5 months into it and how I feel about it hasn't changed or been swayed. I think being Genderfluid as I would like to put myself as, I can easily associate with any of the available pronouns (he / his / him„„ she / her / hers) also like to associate with (shi / hir / zers) pronouns, that part is really based from cuz of my fursona being a herm, but not really just because of that, but because I feel comfortable with being associated with those pronouns.

Weasyl
    Littleredridinghood
    Well, I myself am gender fluid. I'm friends with a few trans-folks (sexuals and genders), and I think they're all lovely people. I just wish (like most people that I know) that society would remember that trans-folk exist, and not pretend that they didn't. I know transphobia is an even bigger thing than homophobia, and yet it gets glossed over and ignored by hoards upon hoards of people. I just don't understand.
    ~(ucu)~

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    This is what I've been told by trans friends. I don't understand it, it's completely fucking bizarre to me. Why is it that someone has to have lived as their desired gender for X amount of years to be able to get a masectomy/implants or HRT when a cisgender person can go in and get any sort of plastic surgery done on any day of the week, no questions asked?
    A lot of people get plastic surgery done because they aren't satisfied with their bodies, they're self-conscious, why is it that trans people have to jump through so many hoops when they also suffer from being self-conscious to suicidal extents?
    Uh, even when people are going in for implants, the doctors still have to let them be aware of any risks. Even if it's just something like Botox.

Transitioning is also a very big change. I don't understand why people are so against therapy beforehand. Especially the year living as the opposite gender. Sometimes it'd just be enough for that and hormones. I mean there's also the legal nonsense they'll have to go through as well.

Honestly I think comparing transitioning to plastic surgery is pretty demeaning for the trans community but that's just me.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Brace
    The real life test is mostly just a hazing ritual. I can agree with the therapy requirement but I don't think it should be a pre-req for HRT, it's just that HRT should be strongly discouraged if any flags appear after three months.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Uh, even when people are going in for implants, the doctors still have to let them be aware of any risks. Even if it's just something like Botox.

Transitioning is also a very big change. I don't understand why people are so against therapy beforehand. Especially the year living as the opposite gender. Sometimes it'd just be enough for that and hormones. I mean there's also the legal nonsense they'll have to go through as well.

Honestly I think comparing transitioning to plastic surgery is pretty demeaning for the trans community but that's just me.
    There's a difference between "let them be aware of any risks" and "you have to have been living as a female for X months or X years." (True story, trans friend had to go through that).

The issue I think people have with it is that you can be living as a male or female or whatever since you were 5 years old, and you are determined to go through with reassignment surgery only to be asked "have you lived as a female for X amount of years? It's a requirement."
    Kind of like a slap in the face when you've been living as that gender for your entire life.

I'm sorry if you took that offensively, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    The real life test is mostly just a hazing ritual. I can agree with the therapy requirement but I don't think it should be a pre-req for HRT, it's just that HRT should be strongly discouraged if any flags appear after three months.
    Agreed..

Weasyl
    pinardilla
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Hello everyone!
    I apologize for not explaining much about myself in precursor, but I'd like to share a bit of information on what I know and what I have experienced with trans* related issues.

1. The term 'transsexual' started in the medical community, and for the most part is used only there to this day. Using it outside of the medical or psychological field is...almost redundant. The umbrella term of 'transgender' usually fits the bill pretty well.
    2. Gender Dysphoria as a concept in the medical and psychological community fits its purpose, but in the grand scheme of things is almost as useless as Transsexuality. The difference being that Gender Dysphoria was coined with the idea that not fitting one's birth sex was a disorder, but that it could be treated.

Pardon my minor tangent here, but I recently had a lovely conversation with a friend of mine who studied neurology in college, as well as psychology and linguistics. We're both avid about the latter of these three. The funny thing about the English language in particular is that it doesn't have a word for something that lies outside the spectrum of what is commonly expected, or the 'default' setting of the mind and body matching, and instead names the 'dysphoric' experiences as a psychological problem. Over the past few decades, great steps have been taken to turn the reaction to dysphoria from 'fixing the individual' to 'fixing the problem.'
    Which is great, and also poses a bit of a problem.

Because we have a number of genderfluid individuals in here, I can say this with a great degree of confidence, I believe, though I expect, and respect any differing opinions on the matter. The gender binary is harmful. To what degree? Who can say, except perhaps women, be they cisgendered or transgendered. Men too, of course, due to the way society approaches gender roles, etc. But you all already knew that. So what am I trying to say here?
    It's more than roles. It's the very way we look at people. We identify people: male or female, unconsciously, when we look at them. The English language has words for neutral genders, but law and medicine only recognize two genders, because it's all that can be seen.

Goodness. That was a longer tangent than I had meant! Pardon me. Back on track!

3. HRT, Evaluations, and the like. Psychological evaluations are necessary because there are irreversible effects when one takes hormones. Particularly if you are a FtM. Sadly, I cannot speak from the other side, as I know little of the effects of Estrogen on the male body, but what I can say is there are changes that will stick, and...to my knowledge will remain with you forever. It depends entirely on two things: how long you receive the treatment, and how your body reacts to the hormones. For example: the estimated time for changes in one's vocal pitch, such as breaking or cracking, for a FtM on T is about 3-4 months. My body was an interesting case, because it was lowering in my second week. One dose of testosterone, and my voice was changing. Most of the irreversible changes aren't ones that stand out as being problematic, more just irritating should the individual discover they in fact DO NOT want to go through with prolonged HRT.

When I received T, I was required to have a medical examination first. This was because one of the contraindications of treatment is familial history of heart disease. As well as uterine cancer, and Coronary Artery Disease. This isn't just 'you're going to grow more body hair'. Testosterone can have nasty effects on the body, but doesn't necessarily make itself known right away. It can increase your risk for heart problems. That's the most common side-effect. I was required to have a psychological examination because my dysphoria was tied to my at-the-time depression. Rules are usually developed because events have happened in the past that need to be prevented.

Lastly, the trans* community will be up-in-arms like any community will be up-in-arms with itself. This is a pervasive concept of differing ideas creating discord. The elder generation of trans* individuals faced quite a different situation than the younger did. What's more, is much like in the case with Lesbians, Bisexuals, Gays, etc. we are seeing more and more trans* individuals as it becomes more commonly accepted. Yes, there will be an influx of people who 'aren't really trans*' but this is okay, because in time, that too will become a thing of the past.
    When we allow ourselves to listen, take notes, learn, and understand, then we will begin to see peace.
    Furry, trans*, LGBT, Gamer, Feminist, it's all the same, just different aspects and issues within each.

Oh right. My name's Tom. Or (NotSo)ViciousFishy. Hey there!

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Thank you for the info, Tom :)
    I heard that estrogen on the female body could be reversed over time, I remember being told this by people who were backing up a trans child who was going through HRT. When I expressed concern about how damaging I thought it would be to give a child who is going through puberty the opposite sex hormone, I was told that it wasn't too big of a deal and could be reversed if the kid went off of HRT.
    It kind of didn't make sense to me but eh, they know more than I do about it all.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    I'm a Male (sex) and a Man (gender).

But I am bisexual and don't act particularly masculine.
    Watch me swooce right in.