Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Pretty much nobody likes to eat just a salad, so they have to make them look really damn happy to be eating a salad to compensate. It's almost always a woman eating the salad, because women need to eat salad as part of their responsibility to strive to conform to the supermodel ideal of beauty as they are ornaments first and people second.
    ...I never thought of it that way, LOL.
    And "pretty much nobody likes to eat a salad," if it's PLAIN. That's why I put dressing on mine!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Pretty much nobody likes to eat just a salad, so they have to make them look really damn happy to be eating a salad to compensate. It's almost always a woman eating the salad, because women need to eat salad as part of their responsibility to strive to conform to the supermodel ideal of beauty as they are ornaments first and people second.
    Well, obviously. As I sit here eating a steak and punching weights I pity the poor things.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacch View Post
    ...I never thought of it that way, LOL.
    And "pretty much nobody likes to eat a salad," if it's PLAIN. That's why I put dressing on mine!
    You can't have dressing AND a thigh gap gosh!
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

I think the difficulty I have with understanding what defines a gender or whatever else, is that I wasn't raised with all those social pressures that many people are. It confuses me because I'm a girl, but I have zero interest in most girl things, and lots of interest in boy things. I'd like for everything to just be things, and people can enjoy them regardless of their gender thing.

I don't expect anything of someone based on their gender. I don't for example see a girl and assume she's going to want a barbie for her birthday, I see a girl and I ask her what she's interested in. I never felt especially surprised that my female TA in sculpture 1 was a welder and did all sorts of metal work, why should I?

Moving back to the original topic I find it interesting how some things are considered masculine or feminine almost arbitrarily. Salads are for women, protein shakes are for men, but Slim Fast is for women, even though it's a protein shake? I see this all the time and it makes me scratch my head. Not so much from a consumer standpoint (I eat what I want regardless of branding) but from a marketing standpoint, I don't see the advantage of artificially segregating your product into two markets instead of one neutral one.
    Last edited by Taw; 02-01-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: removing unnecessary content
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Moving back to the original topic I find it interesting how some things are considered masculine or feminine almost arbitrarily. Salads are for women, protein shakes are for men, but Slim Fast is for women, even though it's a protein shake? I see this all the time and it makes me scratch my head. Not so much from a consumer standpoint (I eat what I want regardless of branding) but from a marketing standpoint, I don't see the advantage of artificially segregating your product into two markets instead of one neutral one.
    Kind of depends on the product. Some products have to be marketed towards a specific group because the other one won't benefit from it and it'll be a waste of their money. Or at least won't benefit as much from it but still a big waste.

Things like salads though should be considered neutral because people use that in the same way though.

On topic: I found this yesterday and thought it could be useful or anyone who needs it.

But also does anyone have any other ways of dealing with it not found there?
    Last edited by Taw; 02-01-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: removed quote/reply to unnecessary content

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #237

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Closed for Maintenance

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #238
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I've cleaned this thread up a bit. If I've missed a post or delete something unnecessary please PM me and I'll look into it. Because this is the third time this thread has had issues, we're putting some guidelines in place.

Guidelines for this thread:
    1. Be respectful of others - if someone doesn't agree with you, that's fine as long as both sides keep things civil.
    2. Stay on topic - if someone is derailing the thread, please report it to staff.
    3. If you feel as if someone is being disrespectful or attempting to incite drama, ignore their post. Do NOT reply, report it to the staff instead. Fighting with others makes a bigger mess for us to clean up and derails the thread.

Anyone who breaks these guidelines may be banned from this thread if they continue to cause problems.

Weasyl
    certifiedkawaiidad
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    ("Is it wrong to treat men like men, and women like women") is quite a loaded question :s
    People are tribal, we love labels and we naturally use lots of them to identify ourselves and others. Is this really so bad? Is it even something we can change? Does using the "trans" or "genderqueer" categories simply create additional labels through which we can identify? Outside of one's sex, for another example, many people identify by their culture, something else that they can't necessarily choose; is it wrong for people to do so? I guess my point is, can I reframe "treating a man like a man" as "treating an American like an American," as opposed to a Japanese, without being unfair or ignorant in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Brace View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that you might be interpreting the same behaviors in different ways based on physical characteristics? For instance, if a very large man is standing very close, screaming at you while talking with his hands, that would be aggressive, but a woman doing the same thing would be hysterical, even though those are the same behaviors.
    I hadn't before considered conformation bias as a contributing factor. Do you feel it's enough to explain the full range and breadth of differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacch View Post
    I know this is an overused example, but the media very much does "force" people into gender roles- subtly...we are not really "forced" into these gender roles most of the time, but we are subtly/subconsciously encouraged to partake in them starting from childhood. It's a form of socialization, and it can really suck.
    Is socialization a bad thing? Aren't we social animals, and aren't all aspects of personality impacted by outside forces? It's true that I like a lot of things I do because I grew up with them, I'm used to them, I'm familiar with them. It scarcely bothers me that I don't like soccer in part because I didn't grow up around people who liked soccer. It seems difficult to cloister ourselves from all outside influences until emerging as a fully-grown unique and independent person. If it were possible, would that preferable?

Weasyl
    Brace
    Quote Originally Posted by certifiedkowaidad View Post
    I hadn't before considered conformation bias as a contributing factor. Do you feel it's enough to explain the full range and breadth of differences?
    I think men and women might tend statistically towards different tendencies, but there's definite overlap, and outliers of either gender at any extreme. I think to the extent this overlap and the outliers aren't visible to you it's confirmation bias. I wouldn't go so far as to say that men and women don't typically behave in distinctive ways, although I have no dog in the fight of why.