Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

The day the only thing I have to worry about in my life is whether I fit into society's prescribed gender roles as male or female is the day that I have NO good problems to worry about. Oddly enough, gender identity and gender roles in society often go hand in hand. And what people never seem to realize is that you cannot divide 7 billion individuals into two friggin' categories. My naughty bits are male, so I'm a dude, whether people think I act like it or not. As for my opinions on transgenderism... I'm gonna hold my tongue, cuz my opinion isn't positive.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #52

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I disagree with perceived gender roles not being a rather nasty problem.

I think you are right in that it is largely an issue born of society and gender roles are inherently silly because people do not fit into two neat categories, however that doesn't mean the experience of one individual that does not fit the mold is not legitimately painful.
    I can't speak for trans folk, I am not trans, but identity issues are notable issues for teens and young adults, no matter what it is. If you have someone that naturally does not fit a societal norm, such as a trans individual, a gay individual, or perhaps even someone that's a tom boy or a boy that's a little feminine there is and issue of identity distortion.

It's the issue of someone attempting to grow up but feeling wrong and having no idea what they're doing wrong. That sort of thing is extremely damaging no matter who it is happening to.

Societal gender norms are rather silly because even today they are rather strict and there are people trans and non-trans that do not naturally fit. It is not a personal failing that feeling different and wrong hurts them. I think we need better psychological support for our teens and young adults. It's a high risk group with the highest rate of suicide and depression and I think we ought to treat that more seriously and recognize more clearly when people are struggling with that sort of thing rather than allow it to build to a point where it could be life ruining.
    To those that are not trans giving them comfort in their identity and confidence. To those that are trans much of the same thing along with the support that is needed for the particular needs.

Okay, I definitely agree with that. Too often we let teenagers fall into that downward spiral of society telling them to be a certain way and that teenager feeling like a failure for not living up to expectations. I would argue, however, that it's a two way street. We need to change society's stereotypical views, but to do that the teenagers need to start saying eff you to society and just being who they are despite the haters. Society needs to realize that not everyone fits into their stupid rigid world view but everyone also needs to realize that they don't have to fit into anyone else's world view to be happy. Life's all about balances.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #54

Weasyl
    Fayv
    It is a two way street yes. Teen and young adult is a vulnerable time, it's when we develop our sense of identity and establish being an autonomous individual. That's why I was talking about better support for our teens and young adults. It's hard for teens and young adults to say "fuck you" to society without that kind of support.

So in the end, being different can be a big problem, but helping people that feel this way and supporting them will reduce the hurt. In turn they are comfortable acknowledging gender roles and other common social norms are not so simple as portrayed. They help those new teens, the new teens do not develop in such a painful environment, and eventually perhaps such problems are minimized.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    A few people have already weighed in on this...But I do have a question. For those of you that have had issues with your own identity and body...when did it start?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #56

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    A few people have already weighed in on this...But I do have a question. For those of you that have had issues with your own identity and body...when did it start?
    How much does one have to be at odds to be considered having issues with identity? I don't want to step on toes and comment and piss someone off because I don't really at this point have gender identity issues. I think I did when I was younger and more of a tom boy. Societal crap, but I can't pretend it's the same as what a trans person faces.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    I started having problems in late grade school (think 'round 5th or 6th grade elementary) when I became more and more like a tomboy; my mannerisms naturally became more "masculine" and I wanted to shop in the boy's and men's sections at stores. My mother resisted it for a while but still let me buy what I wanted, but even now when I'm grown, graduated and being my own individual, I know she never approved of it and tried for years to get me to wear the "girly" stuff simply because well, I'm a girl (despite the fact that I do not act like it a lot of the time). She didn't know it but that had a profound effect on how I viewed myself and I felt "bad" for liking the things I did. I can still remember the heated discussion when I said I wanted to wear a suit to the prom; that apparently was too much for her and she flat out refused to buy me anything but a dress. Man that sucked and even looking back I still don't like it. Problems with gender roles have become even more pronounced in my life because my other half actually likes being more feminine, and an effeminate man in this day and age is even MORE frowned upon than a woman that wants to dress in a suit. Got to love some of those societal double-standards.

I can freely admit I had a hard time with my identity and self-esteem through all of middle and high school because of those aforementioned problems, and I'm just a straight chick; I'm supposed to be "normal." So it's not even just the transgenders or the gays that get this social stigma. I will say that everyone's experiences are different though and I'm not holding any illusions that some people have or had it way tougher than me.

I think a lot of the trannys that are out there today are'nt actually trannys-- but more agender or gender-fluid. They just want to do whatever they want and not be tied down by gender. I don't see a lot of them as real trannys. xD But Whatever makes them happy-- I don't really care or mind too much.

As for myself-- I like to call myself a girly tomboy. I girly things-- like dresses and buying pretty panties-- the whole nine yards. But I also like rolling in the mud and chasing after raccoons and cussing given the chance. So in that aspect I would call myself gender-fluid. Also because I'm somewhat bi-curious-- If I do ever imagine myself with a chick I always imagine being the masculine party. So yeah...LOL

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikedKanine View Post
    I think a lot of the trannys that are out there today are'nt actually trannys-- but more agender or gender-fluid. They just want to do whatever they want and not be tied down by gender. I don't see a lot of them as real trannys. xD But Whatever makes them happy-- I don't really care or mind too much.

As for myself-- I like to call myself a girly tomboy. I girly things-- like dresses and buying pretty panties-- the whole nine yards. But I also like rolling in the mud and chasing after raccoons and cussing given the chance. So in that aspect I would call myself gender-fluid. Also because I'm somewhat bi-curious-- If I do ever imagine myself with a chick I always imagine being the masculine party. So yeah...LOL
    First off, "tranny" is a slur and is looked down upon.

Second, you do not have the authority to tell others how they identify. "How you see it" means not a damn thing, because it has nothing to do with you.

Mannerisms do not make an identity. Don't confuse the two.