Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    -snip-
    I was looking for the trans* members of this forums opinion and experiences, but the rest of it is interesting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cvossra View Post
    -snip-
    It's a touchy subject because people often confuse which issues are a matter of opinion, and which are a matter of fact. And it's a difficult subject to research.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLadyMonster View Post
    I will say that everyone's experiences are different though and I'm not holding any illusions that some people have or had it way tougher than me.
    Simply admitting that makes conversations like this so much more pleasant. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedKanine View Post
    -These comments do not deserve to be repeated-
    Refer to the previous comments on your statement.

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    I'm pretty darn sure I'm transsexual. Wanted to be and felt like a boy since I was 3-4 years, and thought about the possibility of being trans since 12. I despise my body and want a male one, with all the pros and cons. I just cant see myself grow old as a woman. But I will never get any help unless lie a ton. Because I like dudes and that not acceptable for transsexuals in Norway :I And my parents would not be supportive at all. My mom says that she is gsm friendly, but constantly mocks gay people and say that calls trans people by their assigned gender and say they arent really male/female. And my dad says I will never be a guy in his eyes no matter what I look like :|

And I will just say that there is a difference between gender and gender roles. Just because you like girly or boyish things does not mean that you are trans.
    I'm also not too fond of transtrenders, who think its cool to be trans and think its a choice. Most of them are chicks who are "totally ftm, but don't want medical help cause they love their bodies" It fucks everything up for actual transsexuals who need medical help :I It seems like ftm is the new bisexual for attention starved girls.
    Last edited by PapayaShark; 05-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by PapayaShark View Post
    I'm pretty darn sure I'm transsexual. Wanted to be and felt like a boy since I was 3-4 years, and thought about the possibility of being trans since 12. I despise my body and want a male one, with all the pros and cons. I just cant see myself grow old as a woman. But I will never get any help unless lie a ton. Because I like dudes and that not acceptable for transsexuals in Norway :I And my parents would not be supportive at all. My mom says that she is gsm friendly, but constantly mocks gay people and say that calls trans people by their assigned gender and say they arent really male/female. And my dad says I will never be a guy in his eyes no matter what I look like :|

And I will just say that there is a difference between gender and gender roles. Just because you like girly or boyish things does not mean that you are trans.
    I'm also not too fond of transtrenders, who think its cool to be trans and think its a choice. Most of them are chicks who are "totally ftm, but don't want medical help cause they love their bodies" It fucks everything up for actual transsexuals who need medical help :I It seems like ftm is the new bisexual for attention starved girls.
    Really now? That's kind of messed up. Gender identity can have little to nothing to do with sexuality, it really shouldn't act as a barrier to treatment. Does Norway have strict SOC procedures?

I can sympathize on that end completely. When I first told my mother that I liked men she said outright that I couldn't be gay because I hadn't acted like it growing up. And she still has significant trouble with understanding that I'm not...well, Jack from Will and Grace. I'm kind of terrified to let her know about my issues now because I know exactly how she'll respond.

i knew someone like this in highschool, but it was FtM. Claimed to be transexual, said he felt female on the inside, but when asked about HRT or SRS responded with "Why, I look fine." Of course, he also changed the way he identified every other week.

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsyk View Post
    Really now? That's kind of messed up. Gender identity can have little to nothing to do with sexuality, it really shouldn't act as a barrier to treatment. Does Norway have strict SOC procedures?

I can sympathize on that end completely. When I first told my mother that I liked men she said outright that I couldn't be gay because I hadn't acted like it growing up. And she still has significant trouble with understanding that I'm not...well, Jack from Will and Grace. I'm kind of terrified to let her know about my issues now because I know exactly how she'll respond.

i knew someone like this in highschool, but it was FtM. Claimed to be transexual, said he felt female on the inside, but when asked about HRT or SRS responded with "Why, I look fine." Of course, he also changed the way he identified every other week.
    Yeah, if you are anything other than a stereotypical macho man, you wont get any help :I And there is only one gender clinic in Norway, so that sucks if you live anywhere other than south-east. They also ask really inappropriate questions like how you masturbate, and they told one transguy that he should have sex with women instead of men, because real men have sex with women. And ofc he was refused treatment. And if you want to change your gender marker, you will have to get castrated. The gender clinic has also asked the Norwegian healthcare to stop anybody else from helping transsexuals.

So yeah, wooo go Norway! :I

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Quote Originally Posted by PapayaShark View Post
    Yeah, if you are anything other than a stereotypical macho man, you wont get any help :I And there is only one gender clinic in Norway, so that sucks if you live anywhere other than south-east. They also ask really inappropriate questions like how you masturbate, and they told one transguy that he should have sex with women instead of men, because real men have sex with women. And ofc he was refused treatment. And if you want to change your gender marker, you will have to get castrated. The gender clinic has also asked the Norwegian healthcare to stop anybody else from helping transsexuals.

So yeah, wooo go Norway! :I
    I've actually heard that Europe in general is actually pretty bad about trying to make all trans* fit the exact mold. Kinda like the Standards of Care thing, only on a broad base.
    But hey, could be worse. It could be Iran. :V

Transgenders are also a human like us. They live their life the way they like...

As I respond to the original post, I identify as Trans. But often consider the -gender and -sexual part a false dichotomy and had a pretty bad experience with a older local transgroup arguing exclusive rights to healthcare that would only benefit four people, while alienating and bullying everyone else that sought their help. Transgender from them got a bad rap and conflated with 'weekend crossdressers' who were ambient about transition and in the groups eyes not worthy of help. This was really far from the truth, but that didn't stop them trying to disrupt the Scottish Trans-Health Conference in Glasgow last year.

Given I can only post short comments, this is all I can say for now.

EDIT: Wondering if I can tack more on...

About four years ago when I first started to seek help about transition I was told that if you were questioning your gender or wanted to talk about it with someone, you could. Besides when I was told it's not really butter, that was the biggest lie I have ever heard.

Counselling or having a chat with a licensed professional on the matter was only reserved from the get go if you were wanting a specific set of surgeries that was pre-ordained, and this deviated from WPATH and other professional recommendations, and was pretty unfair. Yes, I'm trans, but -gender or -sexual? I say both. I'm been going from a Male body to a female aesthetic (the sexual part) to match my inner mental life but teasing out the mental life isn't quite easy, and outside of myself terminology evolves and is utilised in ways faster than I can eat a packet of skittles. A point I want to bring up is not all Men nor Women think the same, some could have a more masculine or feminine thinking pattern, a mix of both or neither or something else altogether, I'm not psychic (yet) but if you were mentally female, what kind of women would think you'll be? I also think Transgender gets it's own bad rap, because certain people conflate it entirely with "fetishists" or "weekend cross-dressers" and use that to deny people any form of support, and the people I've seen make such arguments are not in a position to make that call. (The aforementioned local group.)

While I'm physically uncomfortable with my own anatomy and find satisfaction emulating a female apperance I am going down that route for surgery, but in my mind I feel this robotic personae, that's analytical and logical. But I'm devoid of the masculine rough-housing, or competitive streak. I'm hestient to use the term 'gender neutral' or 'neurtois' but agender sounds pretty close to an accurate statement. I think there is recognition that people will opt to use words they feel better represent themselves, even if two people feel the same way via any comparision, they'll likely have a different taste. Some also like to use 'Queer' as a catch all term. Personal experience some are comfortable using slurs, but in a more mischevious way with friends or company, being aware it's a term of derision outside their comfort zone.
    Last edited by Zinn; 05-25-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    Just a small update here, I suppose, since I entered this thread to sort out through some of my own issues.

I started HRT about a week ago and I'm in the process of attempting to find a therapist who specializes in gender issues close to where I live. Thus far I've felt better about it than most things I'm doing with my life. ^^

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    oh hey hi thread

I've for a while identified as "mostly male"

I'm p. comfortable with being in a male body, but I don't feel comfortable identifying as "fully male"

idk. I just have an idea of what masculinity is and I wouldn't say I'm all the way there