Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gender Identity

Weasyl
    Carnau / Issy / Isra
    I went with the name Riley because I found it edgy, simple and I've always loved it. Like my current name it's not that common (Natasha.)
    I may not be trans but I do identify as gender queer and I like keeping in touch with my inner man all day e'ry day. It's a good one and I like it a lot. You guys can still call me by my username however, it doesn't really matter heh.

It's kind of a milestone since finding a name can be a deeply philosophical journey, and your name could determine the outcome of your future in certain ways. It's not as clear cut as most people would assume. Took me a couple years, and parents even take a long time deciding on names for their babies too.
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox64
    Now he can have all the turkey with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, butter drenched dressing and tiny onions swimming in a sea of cream sauce he wants.

I chose "Willow" because it was already what my fursona was called and I was like "yeah this works"
    follow me on twitter for more anti-capitalism and surrealist humour

Weasyl
    spits
    i went by "Harley" for a long time because i just found the name cute but confident, and i really wanted a name that sounded confident...but i decided later to make that a middle name that people can still call me and made my first name "Nico" just because i think it's beautiful. i mixed those two because i want to feel beautiful and confident, and i think it was a good start.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Oh my goodness, Harley!

I haven't seen you in so long. D:

Weasyl
    spits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    Oh my goodness, Harley!

I haven't seen you in so long. D:
    i come and go! this place is pretty slow so, while i check this forum every day, i only post sometimes.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtypaws View Post
    i come and go! this place is pretty slow so, while i check this forum every day, i only post sometimes.
    You and I used to talk on AIM sometimes and stuff. I went by Ahkmill and I was a Weavile then.

Do you remember me? :<

Weasyl
    spits
    You and I used to talk on AIM sometimes and stuff. I went by Ahkmill and I was a Weavile then.

Do you remember me? :<
    i remember Ahkmill! <3

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    We should totally get back in contact! I mean, if that's cool with you! .w.

Weasyl
    spits
    We should totally get back in contact! I mean, if that's cool with you! .w.
    ABSOLUTELY IT IS! i use skype and FA and tumblr!

So I have a weird genderish question.

Are there situations where it would be deemed offensive to address a group as "you guys" ?

My instructor seems to be worried that he is offending me whenever he says "you guys". And I reassured him that it doesn't bother me, but he's still uncomfortable about it.

Now obviously "you guys" is his default way of addressing groups, maybe in part because he's spent the past 10-20 years teaching a profession that is largely male dominated. So maybe he's just trying to be courteous, and he feels he is being discourteous to lump me in with the rest of the guys? I don't really know. But I wish he'd get over it, I rather be seen as one of the guys, rather than having my femaleness made a deal of. So I do kind of want to talk to him about it to try to get him to stop feeling uncomfortable, I feel it's disruptive to the class, and I am also kind of uncomfortable with him drawing attention to the fact that I am female, even if it's by accident.

Anyone got some thoughts or insight on this? Am I thinking too hard on this? Am I being crazy, am I even asking this in the right thread?
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!