Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Commissions, and the beast dwelling within.

I know this isn't specifically about art but the marketplace seems like an ad board more than a place for discussion. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to find artists to commission. I remember years ago when everyone was doing traditional commissions. You tell the artist what you want, if they're down for it you give them money, and in a few weeks/months you have a picture. Simple, straight-forward, everyone's happy. Then it was auctioning off commission slots. Okay, that makes sense, the artist wants the most money for their effort and doesn't wanna get overloaded. Then it turned into nothing but YCHs. This is where it starts getting really exclusionary, because at this point the artist doesn't want to draw outside their pre-determined comfort zone. Or worse, they're using commissions as an excuse to practice anatomy. Still, it makes sense from a business standpoint since they're easier to do so they can do more of them and thus make more money.

Now with the introduction of Patreon it's getting absurd. People not taking commissions and relying entirely on Patreon, people only drawing for Patreon subscribers, people only drawing for *the highest* Patreon subscribers in a weird all-pay auction style commission standard, I don't even know anymore. It's hard enough finding an artist who's style I like enough to throw money at, but it's particularly disheartening when the hoops you have to jump through involve monthly subscriptions, pre-determined poses, and even random number generators

Maybe you guys can enlighten me. What caused this shift away from the traditional commission style? Was it lousy commissioners or something else?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Because it's an easier and more reliable way to make money.

Yeah but I'm not interested in paying people monthly for existing, nor am I planning on getting a subscription to someone's art simply so I can have the privilege of maybe giving them even more money. I know someone somewhere is willing to accept commissions, but usually when I want a commission done I want it from someone I've spoken to and who's style I appreciate. And I'm willing to pay for it. However some of the artists I know refuse to deal with anyone not obsequious enough. As someone who's purchased art in the past, always paid on time, and has been liberal with time allowances, I find this kind of relegation rather insulting. If the artists only want to do art for certain people, why yank people's chains?

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    ...I find this kind of relegation rather insulting.
    I would try and avoid this kind of thought. Unless they've been directly demeaning or pretentious about it to you, of course, then maybe hold it a little bit.

Art is great, and sharing it with others is awesome. And commissions can be an exciting opportunity for both parties involved. But the problem is, money is a powerful thing, especially when you can tie it to a skill and make it your livelihood. Like TealMoon said, if it's easier/more reliable, it's going to be more popular. If it makes the artist lazier then that's a bit unavoidable, as people are prone to taking the easy way out.

Fact of the matter is, in my eyes, that there isn't a whole lot you can do about it other than look elsewhere if they are unwilling to compromise. You may be willing to pay, and I don't doubt you're a trustworthy person. But the artist has the final say in how s/he wants to work, sadly. And if that's by only working for people s/he knows already has money to spend because they subscribe to her/him, then there's probably little you can do to sway them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deriaz View Post
    I would try and avoid this kind of thought. Unless they've been directly demeaning or pretentious about it to you, of course, then maybe hold it a little bit.
    Why, it's exactly what it sounds like. They consider themselves not only above accepting traditional commissions, but they've assigned themselves exclusive clients.

Art is great, and sharing it with others is awesome. And commissions can be an exciting opportunity for both parties involved. But the problem is, money is a powerful thing, especially when you can tie it to a skill and make it your livelihood. Like TealMoon said, if it's easier/more reliable, it's going to be more popular. If it makes the artist lazier then that's a bit unavoidable, as people are prone to taking the easy way out.
    I've never been one to accuse artists of having a work ethic but they've always had a certain level of respect for the people who follow them. This seems to fly in the face of that and chop the crowd into two parties; those who pay them to work and those who they consider to simply mooch. It'd be like if a musician stopped selling albums on iTunes or whatever and only distributed them to people at their live performances, after they paid to see the show. Or worse, imagine if Metallica released a proper, clean version of Death Magnetic and only gave it to people in Club Met while everyone else could only buy the shitty regular version. That's basically what this is, and it's insulting.

Fact of the matter is, in my eyes, that there isn't a whole lot you can do about it other than look elsewhere if they are unwilling to compromise. You may be willing to pay, and I don't doubt you're a trustworthy person. But the artist has the final say in how s/he wants to work, sadly. And if that's by only working for people s/he knows already has money to spend because they subscribe to her/him, then there's probably little you can do to sway them.
    That's a great way to not expand your audience and ostracize new followers, which ties into the feeling of pretension radiating from the whole deal. It's like they're purposefully being insular, or they refuse to deign to allow anyone else into whatever little club they have going on in their streams until they put up enough money to cover their monthly cell phone bill. I'm not saying it's wrong per se, if that's what they're attempting to accomplish, but as a guy with an on-again off-again budget, it makes trying to find a good artist damn near impossible. It also makes it sound really disingenuous when they complain about people not patroning the arts.

Last time I checked, you still have to pay for stuff on iTunes. In other words, just like Patreon. Musicians also get royalties when their music is played on radio or TV, which is also something I wouldn't mind, but this is not the world we live in.

But if you can't find anyone to take your money, I had still have a few slots open. What are you looking for?

I put you on my watch list, I still have a few notes floating around and I wanna see if they get followed up on though.

I kinda share your frustration with stuff like YCH, and art auctions. I personally don't like the practice and feel it has a potential to get a bit exploitative. As for Patreon, I see it more as subscription service for a different set of content; some artists I follow do use it as a way for people to access tutorials or the psd files for some of their art. I guess it really comes down to what people say the Patreon is for and follow through with it, rather than just simply make it a 'fund my life' sort of affair.

Part of the problem of the traditional commission style is that it's unreliable, you're relying on a set number of commissioners for income. Sometimes the time it takes to draw something is more than the amount of money an artist gets from it. Granted artists can simply charge more or try to work more efficiently, but this model means that either they have charge high prices, or they will have to take on a high volume of work. Either case, it's not exactly the most sustainable way to make a living. So I can kinda see why Patreon might be a much more desirable alternative.

Anyways, I'm also open for commissions if you want anything done, just give me a shout.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    You can look at YCH's this way. They are good for those who impulse buy, people who want some quickly (there is usually a pretty fast turnaround) and those who aren't creative or have trouble describing what they want. And since a lot of artists sell these cheaper than their normal prices it means some people who normally couldn't afford a certain artist's commissions can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    You can look at YCH's this way. They are good for those who impulse buy, people who want some quickly (there is usually a pretty fast turnaround) and those who aren't creative or have trouble describing what they want. And since a lot of artists sell these cheaper than their normal prices it means some people who normally couldn't afford a certain artist's commissions can get one.
    It would be lovely if that were true but most times I see artists almost exclusively doing YCH, they're always auctions (along with hissy-fits if the auctions don't go as high as they'd like, I actually had a guy renege on me because the auction wasn't as high as he wanted), and as I said frequently they're done when the artist is practicing anatomy so the art is hit or miss in quality.