Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Confession here: I've actually accepted the fact that I'm not a furry. I figured I had to be one, because a lot of the websites and fandoms I frequent have large furry populations, I enjoy cartoons, comic books, and video games with talking animal characters, and several of my close friends have been furry artists. But I've never had a desire to own a fursuit, I don't really find anthros attractive (although I don't find many humans attractive, either), I only draw anthros very infrequently, and if I had a fursona, I'd really only use it so I could make comics about my life, and still stay relatively anonymous. It did, and still does make me feel out of place. I still don't feel like there's any group or subculture where I truly fit in. Luckily, my furry friends just responded to this with a nonchalant shrug, and they don't seem to mind.
    Last edited by medacris; 07-13-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    ...You don't need to like fursuiting, or jerk off to smut to be a furry, yo.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #93
    Quote Originally Posted by medacris View Post
    But I've never had a desire to own a fursuit
    Sigh. I wonder if we'll ever see the day when people realize fursuiters do not represent the majority of furries, not even closely. Idc what people do, but if wanting a fursuit is the calling card of a furry, I'm pretty far from it (spoiler: I'm not). How did you come to these conclusions that these are the supposedly key traits of furries? I mean come on, all you have to do is like the stuff in any way to have any association with it. People overthink this way too much.

Crap, I genuinely had no idea. I feel awful, I hope I haven't upset either of you. I just figured that a lot of the furs I've known did all of those things, or expressed interest in them, and I felt guilty that I didn't.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Well, if some Star Wars fan has some kind of Princess Leia fetish, does that mean all Star Wars fans need to have one too?

No. All they need is to just like Star Wars... It's fairly simple. xP

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #96
    Upset? Nah, sorry if it came off that way. I've experienced a lot of different definitions of "true furries" (lol) and like Hewge says down below, it's really just a simple matter in the end. I can see how that would define your perspective, but I wouldn't take your friends to be representative of the majority.

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    Uhhh well I guess with the sonic fandom. I always searched art on da as a kid and saw tons of sonic stuff but after a while I saw furry. I made a few characters and well Im still here.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I have considered myself as a cat creature as long as I remember. Sometime near 2009 or so I discovered animal-people were a thing. I found home.

How did I end up in furry fandom?

I can remember as a child falling completely in love with Kimba the White Lion. I also had a lot of dreams at night of being an anthropomorphic creature, an alien life form. I believe that idea came about because of watching The Outer Limits on TV with my family.

Science Fiction and Horror were the primary kinds of themes for tv and movies that I knew everybody in my family liked and enjoyed together. Around the 3rd grade I started drawing myself as a creature and my mother told me to stop it somewhere after a few years into doing it. I didn't understand her reaction at all and to be frank I still have no idea why she had such a negative reaction because as a scout I studied Native American culture and discovered how their shamans, their medicine men would become different creatures.

This was all happening during the early through mid 1960s and I knew nothing of Furry Fandom because it didn't exist. In the 1970s I met and befriended a guy who had the name of Tusq and was a self-styled caveman. He created his own landscapes in his room of a world with early hominids, cavemen and the animals like Wooly Mammoths. It was the first time I met anyone that had a fantasy life as intense as my own. In hindsight I realize that if I had discovered these affinities later in life I would likely of fallen into socializing with other people but as it was I only began to have a self-concept being something called Furry in my late 30s.

By that time there were of course furry calling themselves "Furries" in the world but I knew only remotely of them. By that time I was an elected community leader, married, with a thriving career in the early IT field. There was no possible way I could see of entertaining my fantasies without my wife and everyone else thinking I wasn't having a nervous breakdown of some kind. There was also the fact that by this time my idea of being Furry was influenced by tv and films so that instead of a "Toonish" furry persona I had a self-image of myself that was completely real looking.

I didn't know of any realistic looking furries until about 10 years ago when images of them started appearing accidentally on unrelated searches of the internet. I just don't naturally think of socializing with other people. It's something that I have to force myself to do for the sake of my mental and emotional health. So about 7 years ago I decided that I was going to make up for the time lost and do the things I had denied myself. Part of this was driven by total isolation. I've had no intimate friendships since I transitioned 10 years ago. Found no one that shares my interests or values. My joining a local Furry/Scaly group on Meetup.com was completely premeditated and a deliberate step to finding other people that I hoped were more like myself.

These days I frankly don't give a damn who thinks I'm crazy because in a sense they are right. After more than 35 years of living mostly in a prison of my own mind I'm not particularly a shining example of good mental health but I'm working on that with a therapist. However, I do intend to live a significant part of my time in-character after I have my first fursuit commissioned and built by a firm named Clockwork Creature. I'm also preparing to begin tightlacing bespoke corsets partially of my own design. Corsets are something you may be aware of that carries at least as many false assumptions and as much social stigma as being a Furry.

Arizona Furries
    http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Furries/

Clockwork Creature
    http://www.clockworkcreature.com/

Fran Blanche's Contour Corsets
    http://kitsu.org/2014/07/10/21st-century-tightlacing/

Until the next revolution, I bid you peace.

Auriel

i drew strange animal people when i was younger, and then later found out on the internet that people shared my desire to draw strange animal people and was like "hey cool people like drawing the same thin- OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT"

then i came back when i was 16 and said "hmm some of this is kind of hot"

i no longer draw strange animal people, but for different reasons :V