Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Movies that should be remade

Everyone likes to gripe about movie remakes, and some films really should be left alone, but there are films that have benefited from a second, or even third attempt. The 1941 version of The Maltese Falcon that everyone knows and loves was in fact the third attempt at this story, and whatever your feelings about the animated versions The Lord of the Rings, I doubt you were too upset that Peter Jackson took another go at it.
    So, what movies do you think would actually benefit from a remake? For me, the one that springs to mind is Johnny Mnemonic. I'm a big William Gibson fan, and I really enjoyed the original story, so I think a remake that stayed closer to that would be worth watching.
    So, how about you? What flawed gems could stand some more polishing? What turkeys should go back in the oven?

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    How about The Super Mario Bros Movie.

The Star Wars Prequels. Just follow RedLetterMedia's advice.

Weasyl
    N/A
    The NeverEnding Story.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    The Letter W

Personally, older movies I feel should not be remade, reason being the new crew would likely butcher the original. Rob Zombie's remakes of Halloween 1 and 2 are examples of what I mean.

Pretty much almost every movie based on a hit-selling game and/or TV franchise that wasn't really based on it but just borrowed the name and concepts from it. Notable examples being:

Dragonball Evolution
    The Last Airbender
    All the Resident Evil movies
    I guess Super Mario Bros too. I can't remember it much from way back when but I do remember it was nothing like the Mario games.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Gone with the Wind.
    The public outcry would be better than any film.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    Gone with the Wind.
    The public outcry would be better than any film.
    They'd delete the controversial elements if they remade it.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    There are a bunch of movies I can think of that could be remade, but most are just too classic to do so (Creature From the Black Lagoon, Phantom Planet, The Blob...) Although I was pretty happy with the Tron remake.

So as far as remakes go, I'd say I'd rather see a movie that bombed the first time be remade to be better rather than an older movie be remade for the sake of using newer movie effects and advances and such. Unfortunately I can't think of any right now (my brain is too focused on the homework I should be doing).