Weasyl
    kynliod

Photoshop colors help

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me figure out an issue I'm having in photoshop CS2 with the coloring I'm doing. I'm getting a weird outline around the inks, and I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from and how to get rid of it. More info here: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/147350

Thanks!
    Last edited by kynliod; 03-12-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Thought the version of Photoshop might be a useful detail...

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Are you using the magic want to select your spaces then filling them?

If so, after you select it, zoom in and you will notice that its not selected all the way to the line. Easiest way to fix this (if you are coloring under you lineart layer) is to select the space you want to go to,
    Zoom in,
    Go to the select,
    Modify > then expand.

Depending on the size of your picture you can just expand 1-2 pixels and your selection will expand.

See if that works for you.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Haven't touched photoshop Cs2 in a long time, can you give us more info? (Check your line-work for whites.)

How did you lay down your values?-
    Ex: Bucket fill, Painted within ink contours?

Is the line-work and values on a separate layer? If so Color burning shouldn't affect Blacks, so try using a single layer.

Are you color burning via the brush or through a layer mode?

Are you painting only within a selection?

Layer Settings? Is layer sampling or sample all layers on/off?

Going over the process step by step should help figure out what the problem is.

Weasyl
    kynliod
    Thanks, guys. I went through and figured out which layer the problem was coming from and was able to eliminate it. Yay! What happened was I went into the ink layer and did a magic select on the linework, then did a select>contract by 1 pixel. Then I went to the values layer and deleted the selection (the whole point being so that I could select each section individually. But with those deleted lines having no color, they were picking up the normal color of the paint. Or something like that. Anyway, I went and filled all that in with black, and it worked like a charm.

MapleTerror, I was using a paintbrush on a locked layer. I really know very little about photoshop. I pretty much just fiddle with it until I get results I like, but I have no technique whatsoever when it comes to color. =P I usually just "color" like you would on paper, but I felt like experimenting and messing around. I'm going to play with the layer settings next, see what kinds of results I get with that.

Weasyl
    kynliod
    Well, I finished my pic. Any crits on color are more than welcome. https://www.weasyl.com/submission/147703

Weasyl
    Algorithmus
    Generally, the cleanest way to separate lineart from the background is to make use of this tool under the Channels tab. It's this button at the bottom of the window called "Load channel as selection", and what it will do is select all your black/dark values, and then you can either re-create the lines on a separate layer (and you can even decide what color you want them to be) or choose select inverse and delete the background instead. But this only works if you hide all the other layers so that only your lineart is visible.

Weasyl
    kynliod
    Algorithmus, thanks for the tip--I am definitely going to try that next time!