Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Life of "The Admin"

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    I just think the site needs more members, and doesn't need any staff additions any time soon. I mean, GTWF only has three staff members, including myself, and it's more active than these forums most of the time. An army of staff doesn't compare to a select few with heads on their shoulders.
    Well, if a certain 'ship' keeps ramming icebergs that may happen sooner than we think.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #32

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I have to ask.

What in the unholy fuck is a ferret? :B
    It's a basic position for Weasyl, and how we start vetting staff. Basically they go through submissions and report violations and such, so we're never in the position where we have violations slipping by because people can't be bothered to report, but the admins aren't spending all their time hunting.
    They also have access to a special part of the forum where we talk about the site policies, moderation philosophy, etc. They can talk directly to staff and offer ideas and suggestions.
    Ferrets don't have to be staff if they don't want to, being a ferret doesn't make you a mod, but we only select or moderators from this group and coders.

It lets us get to know someone, show them how we do things and such before giving them the power to remove submissions or whatever. They also get other little benefits, which I'll be working on more in the future.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    So basically "Admin's bitch."

Sounds fun. :B

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34

Weasyl
    Fayv
    So basically "Admin's bitch."

Sounds fun. :B
    it's worked out amazingly well thus far.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    I wish I had bitches.

Bitches n' hoes.

Weasyl
    Grimfang
    So far I'm the only mod I know that Wolf-Bone hasn't totally tried to trash on just cuz' I'm a mod.

So I must be doing good. :B
    Wolf-Bone and I are on good terms, despite me having been a mod on a forum he's banned on. It was a little rocky, but we're good, haha.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    It would seem that admins get to have big avatars, too.

I call dictatorship.

Weasyl
    Tango
    To be honest I'd be completely happy at 'ferret'.

Sanita
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #39
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Premium users also get larger avatars - admins aren't the only ones!

Though I did make my forum title comic sans and red.

As for stories about being an admin:

I used to be one of the admins of a site that become somewhat popular over the last few years, quit just before they changed their name and such.

Anyways, I was mostly in charge of moderating the graphics section, things like Signature of the Week competitions, making sure no one plagiarized existing work to make signatures for people and painting names on them, etc.

One of the higher up staff members had a shop where they sold signatures for in-game currency of a game the forums were about. Over the next year it was the biggest signature shop thread and he did a few hundred of them.

After a while my GFX team and I grew suspicious as his quality was decent, then jumped to some astounding works.

We did some reverse image lookups, discovered that the last four months he was slowly sneaking in others' work that was untitled, or covering up any names and such in signatures and selling them to people.

I promptly brought this up with the owner, who banned him from the forum section. I felt this wasn't really a suitable punishment as he was still a higher up staff who had cheated over sixty people custom signatures and such and used existing work from other artists on the internet.

A month later he convinced the owner to let him back onto the graphic section. I didn't like this decision, especially when he entered the SOTW competition.

He had the nerve to rip another person's work for it. We check each signature to make sure it's not stolen, and his was found on several sites; he just used the clone stamp tool to remove the artist's name.

Site owner banned him again from the section and then shortly after I left the site because I was getting too busy with school and work and I didn't agree with some choices that happened during my time there.

Weasyl
    IntricateVision
    These stories should be in a book somewhere.
    "Adventures in Administration"

....I don't really like sharing my adventures. The very short of it, was, I was a lower ranking admin under THE admin. And eventually the individual who I will call Mr. Silly-pants, tried to take over, start a coup and convince everyone that I and another admin had brainwashed them all into being on our side and following the rules we had developed. He then made it a habit to threaten to regularly hack the site after he was permabanned. Threatening the admin regularly through IMs and such. Making sock-puppet accounts to try and get back on.
    For a couple months a large part of my job was just banning this one person.

It was special.

I've had other people blow up at me before and since. But never before was I accused of brainwashing, being tyrannical, or palnning a takeover. And for that, Mr. Silly-pants will always have a special place in my administrator history. :p