Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Life of "The Admin"

Weasyl
    nanakisan

Life of "The Admin"

We've all had to have tried it. We all have to have suffered it. Being a admin to a community. taking on the responsibility and such. Lets share those memories. be they good or funny....or just plain freaking scary. I've always found this to be one hot topic among people who have done it.

Me it starts with me being Head Admin for 8 years to a sci-fi RP community. Nothing to dull or to insane. It was however the last months of my position is when it went crazy. 1 guy thought it would be funny to impersonate my staff. He was a known problem in the community. A lot of the problems he caused prior to the incident, was mainly stupidity. I've had to warn him countless times to keep with his content. He was a well known member having started one of the few oldest RP Threads. However apparently a argument broke out in character and the guy took extreme offense to it. It was one of my moderators who insulted him in the RP. The guy decided to actually pay him back in spades and make a new forum account that was similar to the mods name. this is where i came in. He started badgering new people and belittling them. Making the real guy look bad because they were making reports about my mod. I took a look into this and found out about a day later after post combing. I found the little snot. I banned him then informed the leading players of his RP that i'm going to erase the thread. They all agreed and they actually saved the whole thing for re-posting later.

So i erase the thread as punishment for the guys extreme behavior. I later get a PM written in Klingon....yes..klingon i shit you not. he was cursing like a hen being attacked. When it was all said and done, he wrote another PM in english. Saying i ruined his life. That thread was to the letter his life and blood. I essentially killed him.

My response? "I'm sorry we just met and all. I cannot accept your love. Also just curious? Do you kiss your own mother with that mouth?". After that message I iptabled his butt and never saw him again.

Well thats about it. I have more to share, but i don't want to hog the whole spotlight. So lets see where this thread goes!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I only really have one semi interesting story. I've been a moderator on FaF, admin on FA, and admin here. FA wasn't really so bad, but I more interested myself in plagiarism tickets which are fairly straight forward and I avoided drama and all that.
    I can't say much about being an Admin on Weasyl except that I like it. I have a lot of faith in our current staff. I won't go into details as that seems unprofessional to me to do on this site.

For my semi-interesting story, it happened when I was a mod on FaF and mostly just involved someone that I met at a con. I had a room to share in a roomshare and the guy filled it. He was nice enough, followed the rules, and was just a bit awkward. There isn't anything really notable about it, we didn't really hang out because we didn't really click. I left the con with a general ambivalence toward his character.
    A couple months later I'm doing regular work on FaF and he posts a one word response to a thread, this is against the rules so I gave him a warning about it. He then proceeds to send me a PM asking if my parents or professors would be proud of me knowing that I am being cruel and unfair by unfairly warning him and letting my friends do whatever they want on FaF. He claimed I just warned him because I hate him, even though it was pretty blatant of a rule break.
    I pointed out the exact wording of the rule he broke and informed him that I didn't in fact hate him, that I was neutral about him since the con. His response was that I clearly hated him because I took no time to randomly message or PM to ask how he was doing. An act he never did to me, something I don't even do with my actual friends.

After talking to him he calmed down and accepting the warning he had gotten and realized that I wasn't going out of my way to punish him out of hatred, though I did tell him that after such an exchange we would never be friends and I did in fact now dislike him. I don't appreciate someone simply assuming I act out of hatred, that I favor my friends, or has the gall to bring my parents pride into this when it's an internet forum.

I'm not going to name names, or clarify any answers if people want to guess. I know the dude wants to change. He tried contacting me recently and while I'm still not interested, it's up to him to screw it up with other people. It was just a very interesting experience for me with the furry fandom. There's so many people that expected to be treated as your best friend because you are both furries. In reality if I don't have much in common with someone I'm just neutral, I'm not rude but I won't go out of my way to send messages or well wishes, and people treat that as sheer hatred.

Weasyl
    nanakisan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    There's so many people that expected to be treated as your best friend because you are both furries. In reality if I don't have much in common with someone I'm just neutral, I'm not rude but I won't go out of my way to send messages or well wishes, and people treat that as sheer hatred.
    *le clap of claps* Well played good sir. well played indeed.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by nanakisan View Post
    *le clap of claps* Well played good sir. well played indeed.
    *shrug* it's an odd habit in fandoms that I just don't understand. That and people that you're being friendly with and they start trying to act like you've been best friends for years.

Actually that reminds me of another funny thing I see a lot for mods and admins. People that are suddenly super friendly. I suppose on some sites it does get you some preferable treatment so I can't blame them too much, but I find it funny when they think they're being subtle. "I think you're so cool, by the way I have this ticket."

Weasyl
    nanakisan
    "I think you're so cool, by the way I have this ticket."
    Happened to me as a game admin. Tf2 to be precise. I banned a kid for 1 week. extreme mic spam. His friend was present. He tired to use his really nice friend to get to me. After i nicely told him my response and the message to his friend. I edited his ban to include a note. "ultimatum: Don't use your friends to butter me up. we have a unban process. Follow it"

the kid isn't stupid. far from it. If he wasn't such a spammer sometimes. he'd be one of our more mature younger kids in the servers.

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    I don't think this really counts but I've been an admin of a chat group on MSN Messenger, Global Furry Chat, and currently the head-admin of a Yu-Gi-Oh! trading group on Facebook, Yu-Gi-Oh! Free Trading UK, Ireland and Europe.

The furry chat on MSN Messenger was pretty easy to handle, despite having college everyday, as most of the members lived in the American timezones but I did have to deal with some drama ever now and then but nothing too major. Nowdays the group is still going, slowly, mainly because people have ditched MSN Messenger.

The group on Facebook, I was chosen to be admin once the group had expended because of how active I was in the group and since the creator left because of real life problems and left me in the charge of the group (with other admins and mods) with over 800 members, I've not had to do much in the way of administration up until the past few days as I'm dealing with someone who's apparently ripping people off and being a right problem to the group.

There is one more story but it's not me being admin but global moderator and I didn't really do much because there was barely much to do because it was a small forum and the most I had to do was ban spammers.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Been a mod/admin on a whole lot of things over 10 years. I think the worst was when I was an admin on an anthro oekaki. Admittedly I could be a turd sometimes but a lot of the people there had a seething hatred for me. There were a few other admins but when anything went wrong, I immediatly got blamed and yelled at. I eventually just let myself be the scapegoat because after a certain point I didn't care. I mean, the first day I got my admin powers I got accused of banning a user even though I didn't know them at all? So it even started off really bad.

People would break rules on purpose to mess with me or something, they'd get banned/suspended, and then they'd get their friends to scream at me. It go to a point where they were trying to get 4chan to come after me by posting threads about me every day for 3 or 4 days? Or they'd post under my name on there and pretend to be me. Nothing ever happened though.

Needless to say, I prefer being staff on here a lot more compared to that.

I've staffed a few times over the years in RPGs, and overall it's been pretty standard hilarity. general fuckery with canon, people wanting to power/metagame, tantrums over their magical MaryGarySueStu not being the center of the game, etc. In fact, in the last "official" group RP I staffed all of the really crazy people had been weeded out. So I missed out on all the strange conspiratorial in-fighting and borderline death threats (yes, seriously).

I think the strangest was recently, when I mucked with the possibility of a new "public" RP. I gave the link to a few people, and it got 'round to a couple guys who had been in the last game I moderated. Keep in mind the former game had ended almost two years ago, and, months prior to that, both of these dudes had been given multiple chances to stop the bad behavior that got them the boot. One of them was before I was even the staff, the other banned by an admin higher than me.

Despite this, they assumed they were "barred from entry" in this new, completely unrelated game (with no other staff except for myself). Once again two years after their being nixed (it might have even been three since the one guy was banned). It was one of those small, magical situations that made me go, "Yyyyeah, let's just stick to small scenes with pals." Or maybe I was just part of the staff hivemind who knows~ 8)
    Icon by Lingrimm.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    Aden
    *shrug* it's an odd habit in fandoms that I just don't understand. That and people that you're being friendly with and they start trying to act like you've been best friends for years
    Everything you've talked about in this thread just reeks of the geek social fallacies

Anyway, I've been a mod/admin on FAF for a while. No exciting or outrageous stories to tell, I'm afraid - I must attract all the reasonable people.

My only common complaint across everywhere I've been a mod or admin is that a lot of my fellow staff members didn't know how to recognize parody or sarcasm or playful tongue-in-cheek writing. They always assumed the most malicious intent, even when it was strikingly obvious that was not the case. Had to reverse many an impulsive action in my time

Weasyl
    nanakisan
    I think some of the most fun i have had as a admin of late. Would have to go to this lovely gaming community i've now entered 1 year to. recently like 4 months ago i was made mod. then 1 month ago i was made a admin. There is so much that happens in gaming communities its hilarious. So many jokes thrown out and stuff. However i think one of the funniest people on our server was one guy who i banned.

He is a long time member of the community. playing and stuff, he's always had a big mouth on him. However once of his funny quirks was how he can go from nice guy. To being the absolute tyrant, he would start mic spamming like no ones issue. He was banned 2 times prior to mine. discussions amongst the administrative staff dictated his next ban be permanent. well he slipped up and when i banned him. I get a PM detailing his life to me. How he was abused as a child. blah blah blah, now don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have cared much. Its what he said about how i got admin before him when he's been in the community longer then me. That alone just made me sad. I told him maybe if he hadn't been such a dick all the time. he wouldn't have been banned.

Well he's banned from the servers. However it was decided to let him stay in the forums. He went on about how he is a judist, that he cannot be forgiven and stuff. Well about a week after his ban he's posting in the forums being mister nice guy and shit. I won't go into much detail. However what i do know is that he suffers from being bi-polar. Still....maybe when time comes and goes i might resend the perma ban and let him back in.

I hate being the center of every persons hate. But at the same time it never phases me. Not one bit! hahahaha I actually get quite the chuckle out of people who think they can manipulate me.