Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Life of "The Admin"

Weasyl
    Dark
    That was so obviously sarcastic that you didn't even need to explain it, lol.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    That was so obviously sarcastic that you didn't even need to explain it, lol.

Yeah, this is the internet. I've been bashed for obvious sarcasm being taken seriously before. Not taking chances hence the disclaimer.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    Levi
    On my forum we don't really like it when people necropost, but we give numerous allowances to people who happen to resurrect a two-year-old thread if they have something intelligent to contribute to the discussion - this has actually happened - so here I am posting on a thread that has not seen activity in six months.

In my defense, I've been a moderator or admin on one forum for the past eight years and currently serve as an assistant admin and net admin on another small forum and a furry chat server.

Being a mod or admin is usually a pleasant experience as long as you don't decide to be a jerk to everyone and if you actually do your job. I don't do this as much as an admin since I really want the moderators to take care of this and I prefer to help arbitrate when they have a problem they cannot handle, or if it's something that according to our procedure is my responsibility anyway, but for years my job seemed to be to whip newcomers into shape if they were a little on the crazy side. In the vast majority of cases, it worked.

We've had our share of problems to be certain, but to prevent this from being a gossip post I'll keep details to a minimum. There was one member years ago that I had to reprimand because he was posting content that went against the publicly posted forum rules and standards. (This particular community is very religious and conservative, and we want to keep it that way, and we expect members to express themselves within the limits placed on them. He was being openly rebellious and daring us to do something about it. So I did.) He ended up ranting against me in public elsewhere, insisting that I should have bent the rules just for him.

I wasn't impressed and neither were any other members.

It teaches patience, for certain. Sometimes you have to vent a little by creating private moderator-only threads dedicated to one problem member in particular and commenting on his latest exploits, and sometimes you put together a "Gospel According to Moderators" (which I can share if you want). But you learn patience or flounder.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    I joined a site called Heresy Online back in 2010. It's a tabletop wargaming forum and at the time I was heavily invested in this as a hobby so it seemed natural that I join a site for like minded people. It began my love of online forums and so I searched for a few other sites after about a month, and made acounts on three more. However Heresy had been my first real experience with forums and it had spoiled me, because the other three sites had something Heresy didn't; censorship. :/

Managed to get myself banned from almost every wargaming forum except Heresy, simply because I was somewhat crass and blunt on my way of talking. Apparently it appealed to Heresy's admin, because I became a mod after a year and a bit when the previous mod of my favourite section started trying to dictate how the site should be run.

So I began as most forum mods would, owning a few sections out of several dozen. Naturally my way of talking had me in one of two spots with other members, they either loved me or hated me. XD The first few months sucked, several members made obvious attempts to bait me, saying what a shame it was that I had been put on staff instead of someone they would have preferred (who it turned out didn't want the position). They seemed determined to drive me to quit, but it's been three years now. They're gone, and I am now a senior staff member with authority over the whole site. I think having personal vendettas when you join staff is one of the worst things to deal with.

Other than that, there was a certain troll who managed to get himself banned early after my moderator promotion, and about a month later a new member joined. They quickly made enemies with the same jackass who tried to get me to quit, and said jackass began spreading the word that this new member was in fact the banned troll under a new name. Numerous times the staff checked ip and email references only to find no match, numerous times we observed completely different posting habits between the new poster and the banned poster. But this fucking jackass had already decided they were the same person and he spread this information as fact relentlessly.

Eventually the stress had turned the new member into a legit troll and she made certain posts that forced us to ban her. The whole ordeal took three or four weeks.

Ever since then I have cracked down on personal attacks between members pretty aggressively.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

I think the only site I have ever had some sort of an admin-position on was deviantART, when I volunteered for the Icons & Handhelds-gallery.
    It was a pretty interesting thing to do as it gives you a glimpse into how the site functions as a whole, plus the CV-team was generally made up of really friendly and interesting people which made the chats that much greater.

The most memorable thing would have to be ... on my first day as a community volunteer, I featured an icon that I had found, which was (I thought) perfectly pixeled, animated and everything. Too good to be true, almost, that the icon hadn't been DD'd before even! So I scheduled it, it was posted and .... then I found out it was a ripped sprite from a game I had never heard of before or played. Needless to say I got some pretty "interesting" comments and notes after a snafu that big.

The best part of volunteering was getting in touch with the people of the community I was volunteering for and being a bit of a channel between the mods and users & vice-versa. I've gotten a better understanding of the community, but also of the mods.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    I've very little experience administrating a website, but for a time I was active with a few XBox Live clans.

The interesting thing with this was that the "normal" members weren't the problem... it was other leaders (perhaps because 1/3 of the damned thing had some kind of "responsibility," myself included. Clan Derp began as a multi-game/branch but exploded because Captain Butthurt didn't like how Sir Moron behaved, so Butthurt left make his own clan. And then two of the tip-top-founder-persons got pissed at each other, so one left and made a third clan (this was the point where I just gave up and left). Meanwhile Butthurt's clan phased in and out, dying and then reviving itself with new members and new names every five months. Idiot-founder-person's clan did fairly well, and both repeatedly asked me to join up. At some point, roughly 18 months after I'd joined the original one my bunch of friends left to make a fourth clan. By this point I was not playing games a whole lot but agreed to join as the site manager, basically responsible for making the forum pretty and the rules coherent. They went and did their own thing on the console, occasionally signing up or maybe even posting on the site. After four months or so, all of them to my knowledge died out; and the site for each is a wasteland*. I estimate this final point being somewhere around July 2011, right when I got started on FAF.

*Note that I mysteriously got an email update from someone posting on the original clan's forum... I haven't managed to log in though. >_>

Weasyl
    Ratte
    The only story I have was before screenshots were allowed on FA. Someone had posted a bunch en masse, so I pulled one and ask that they pull the rest. For some reason this one incident rubbed this guy the wrong way so hard he started PMing me, bitching up a storm, literally modifying things I said in my posts to inane shit (even though everything sent prior said what I did, herp derp), and there was seemingly no end in sight. After a while I just slapped them with a quick suspension (I'm talking like no longer than a week here) for harassment. He then comes back afterward claiming that I changed his profile mood while I did so. That is so unbelievably petty it hadn't even crossed my mind.

Later that day I found that he made a "hate list" of various users on his profile and had posted a journal about these bullshit accusations about the mood changing, which nobody had record of me doing in the first place and I don't see why I'd bring myself that low just to change an option in a dropdown that nobody reads anyway.

Dude was fucking crazy. He got told to leave me alone by someone else shortly thereafter. Seriously, the only problem user I've dealt with on FA.

On e6 we had a guy who would cry racism about anything, usually tribal fetishry posts, but then proceed to be racist to everyone else and didn't see a problem. I ended up handling that one and, due to his stubbornness to actually listen to the rules, he wound up with a 6 month ban. All because he was quite literally refusing (and saying so, might I add) to follow the rules, because he felt he was exempt.

Lordy.

Weasyl
    Ley
    You guys know the tumblr Artist-Confessions? Its got 15,000 followers.

I suddenly became the Admin after both the main admins freakin abandoned ship. For three months I went through 2k Submissions by myself, with all sorts of shit thrown at me because 'I Wasn't doing it right.'

Now I've seen it go from 14k to 15k followers under my 'rule'.

My most memorable thing i where I had an entire confession dedicated to how awful I was because I'd sig it as 'catty anon' when anonymous confessions were posted about how shitty an artist and their art was. I got anon hate for a few weeks for it. Pretty dumb.