Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Life of "The Admin"

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #41

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvossra View Post
    I'll never be an administrator or moderator for any website because of stories such as these. I've no patience for a lot of people, and tolerating the nonsense would be a great achievement for me. I'm an easy-going person, but I've no true people skills to be able to handle positions that require constant community interaction and regulation.
    I really admire how you guys (and ladies) have been able to handle things.
    For the most part it is not that difficult to me. If a user wants to be particularly troublesome it's pretty easy to approach a colleague and ask them to help you out. Eventually you learn to let some things go. I'll be honest in saying whenever I see someone explode at staff and go 'I'm leaving the site forever" I'm generally not that broken up about it.
    Now if it's something where we actually have the chance to do something I want to act and help to prevent that, but there are a lot of people out there that just have very specific expectations and are insulted at the idea of following the rules of someone else's site, and they believe a temper tantrum will accomplish a site overhaul for them. Meh.

It's harder if there's interstaff problems. I know there was one staff I was on with someone I found insufferable and that made the work a nightmare, but life worked out in the end. In terms of weasyl I am happy to say the staff is quite nice and works together quite well. It makes the job much easier.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I help with two pages on Facebook and am really enjoying it. There is one person though, that should not be an admin and really doesn't know how to deal with confrontation. Plus, they get their nose pushed out of joint a lot when others are just doing what they are supposed to.

Weasyl
    Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Sorry man, it wasn't anything personal. I'm just getting tired of hearing "if I only had the chance..."
    Not saying you personally can't do it, or that you haven't shown willingness. Just a general bit of advice to anyone that wants to be staff, if you start being useful and working in ways you can, finding ways to be helpful leads to trust and leads to being trusted with a position.
    +1

Been at this whole staff thing for years; seen many sites rise and fall. Best advice ever.

Of course, it also helps if the owner isn't a manic depressive, nepotist idiot like the owner of the Sonic Community was. Zez would always promote retards who did nothing but worship another member, and said member would always get admin even after being banned in excess of 30 times and setting up 25 different alts to ban evade. The cycle was basically this:

1. Dramallamas involving Mly chasing new members away and generally being a retard who uses fancy English to hide the fact that his intelligence in a staff position is sorely lacking
    2. Site dies
    3. Zezima bans Mly
    4. Zezima waits for site activity to pick back up -OR- Zezima advertises like mad to draw in new members
    5. Mly gets unbanned once #3 has been achieved -OR- Zez enters depressive mode and unbans Mly while wallowing in self-pity
    6. Mly and his followers get staff positions, Mly often being promoted to admin
    7. Rules created to benefit the Mly clique and nobody else
    8. Repeat
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Administering and moderating message boards is why I avoid them now. People love to say wonderfully pungent things on message boards. I don't think I've got quite the amount of experience some of you seem to have under your belt though. My stake in administering a board quickly fell over when all I was doing was putting out fires. Kudos to some of you all for having the fortitude to administer and moderate this and other big boards.

Well played.... no words to appreciate... so good

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #46

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Sable Oximasoth View Post
    Administering and moderating message boards is why I avoid them now. People love to say wonderfully pungent things on message boards. I don't think I've got quite the amount of experience some of you seem to have under your belt though. My stake in administering a board quickly fell over when all I was doing was putting out fires. Kudos to some of you all for having the fortitude to administer and moderate this and other big boards.
    Well part of it is being able to set the standard of conversation within a given community. Weasyl is in a unique position where we are a building community in which the staff of the site can impress upon our users that certain attitudes which are counter-productive towards building a stronger community won't be tolerated.

Part of that is certainly putting out fires. The other is attempting to interact with our community and set the tone through our example. Hopefully that rubs off here. But I'm sure that's similar to other places as well. A strong moderator presence with a core group of members who help set the example for everyone else.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    Well part of it is being able to set the standard of conversation within a given community. Weasyl is in a unique position where we are a building community in which the staff of the site can impress upon our users that certain attitudes which are counter-productive towards building a stronger community won't be tolerated.

Part of that is certainly putting out fires. The other is attempting to interact with our community and set the tone through our example. Hopefully that rubs off here. But I'm sure that's similar to other places as well. A strong moderator presence with a core group of members who help set the example for everyone else.
    I can't agree with this sentiment more. Leading by example is the best way to build a decent and stable community from the ground up, and if the civility of the "higher ups" fall, then so too does the standards of the community. Creating a healthy (or unhealthy in some cases) precedent sets the tone for a website later on.

Weasyl
    Rsyk
    This is something that has accidentally become a facet of my real job. Managing a community of sixty+ people can be exceedingly difficult, especially given the scope of interactions that we as the staff are not always privy too. We've no way to know when strife occurs between people other than to actually be there and hear about it from them, and everyone wants validation that they're "in the right" on...whatever.
    Luckily we've never had to deal with this in the scope of anything that actual effects the events we're trying to plan, but we're pretty sure it's going to happen eventually.

The other thing is that it's taught me to be more patient with people I don't like, for entirely selfish reasons. Everyone is a possible customer, and when you're interacting with people it helps to remember that making a good impression on them could possibly be paying your rent next month, so it changed a lot of the ways in which I deal with people. I can't really afford to completely ignore someone when they say something incredibly stupid, racist, or that just angers me anymore because it's possible that they could be paying me at a later date. :/

Weasyl
    Dark
    People are starting to open dating and adoption (as in pets) centers on the Creative server on MC.

Remind me again why I do this whole admin thing.
    Meanwhile, in #CoE...

[20:12:26] <+Dark> "He's dead, Jim."
    [20:14:11] <Nate|phone> My name's not Jim
    [20:14:20] <Nate|phone> And Starr's not a guy
    [20:15:18] <Nate|phone> ...
    [20:17:20] <+Cerberus> And Shadow's not a callgirl.
    [20:17:52] <+Dark> LOL

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    People are starting to open dating and adoption (as in pets) centers on the Creative server on MC.

Remind me again why I do this whole admin thing.

You secretly hate yourself for some past misdeed (this may have even been in your past life as John Wilkes Booth). Your subconscious is punishing you. It's okay, just go with it. Eventually you will free yourself from this purgatory. Just let it run it's course.

*Note: The following is a post rich in sarcasm. Unfortunately, internet forms have 'sarcasm dampeners' that blur the sarcasm levels of post, thus having obviously joking statements taken -way- out of context to create undo rage.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?