Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #51
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperHead View Post
    I've never been able to get into Photoshop (probably doesn't help that I only have Elements...), and ever since I've tried Sai, that's been pretty much the only thing I use. I'll transfer things into GIMP for transparency or other little effects, but I live in Sai ;v;
    I used to use Elements 2.0 since it was the program that came with my Intuos3 tablets. My cousin got me Photoshop CS5 so I use that primarily now, although I do like to dabble in Sai. Sai has some really great features but I think after years of Photoshop and taking two semesters of Photoshop class at the community college i used to attend I'm just very attached to it and have difficulties breaking away from it. I guess I'm a little biased on the subject.

@Tiger That's great!
    The user interface actually isn't what turns me away from photoshop like it seems to do for a lot of people. I wish I knew what every little thing did, but it's not that bad (I had an older version of ps that I got rid of for Elements without realizing that Elements had next to nothing... you can't even open up folders! :C ).

What bugs me is that I can never get the lineart to look how I'd want it. It just doesn't look as clean, crisp, and epic like so many other artist's work does. I'd also really miss the easy line tools in Sai, and the marker tool xD

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #53
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    @Tiger That's great!
    The user interface actually isn't what turns me away from photoshop like it seems to do for a lot of people. I wish I knew what every little thing did, but it's not that bad (I had an older version of ps that I got rid of for Elements without realizing that Elements had next to nothing... you can't even open up folders! :C ).

What bugs me is that I can never get the lineart to look how I'd want it. It just doesn't look as clean, crisp, and epic like so many other artist's work does. I'd also really miss the easy line tools in Sai, and the marker tool xD
    I really like Photoshop's interface, I love CS6 but unfortunately I only had access to it at school, all I have now is CS5. it's pretty customizable and I think I've finally found a set-up that works best for me.

And LINES, I feel ya! I'd use the pen tool for lineart but it can be quite picky sometimes with the stroke, plus I find it hard to create sharp points with it, mine tend to turn out a little rounded. So generally I do lines by hand, but the pen tool does help a lot with masks. Sai definitely has great tools for lines!

Weasyl
    Ratte
    I've never been able to get into Photoshop (probably doesn't help that I only have Elements...), and ever since I've tried Sai, that's been pretty much the only thing I use. I'll transfer things into GIMP for transparency or other little effects, but I live in Sai ;v;
    I can honestly say you're not really missing much. Photoshop CS* is incredibly bulky and has so much stuff you just never really use. I used CS4 until I tried SAI and only went back to it for transparencies or for fixing my scans. Hell, just the lineart capability was enough to make me really shy away from using Photoshop anymore, plus SAI is so nice and lightweight that my laptop won't cry when I use it.

I've used Elements 4, 7, and 9 as well as CS4 and CS5. While the CS line seems nice and flashy and whatever, it's really not worth it, especially for slower/smaller computers. You shouldn't need more than Elements for basic digital art.

I use SAI primarily, with CS5 for transparency/scans with a Wacom Bamboo Fun P/T medium tablet.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Longtime Photoshop user... but I tried Manga Studio 5 and can't go back to PS. It's like SAI and Photoshop's baby.

The biggest thing I miss is CS6's autosave feature. :<
    Last edited by Bri Mercedes; 09-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Paint Tool Sai c:
    And then I usually edit it a bit in Photoshop, like adding strokes to the finalized piece from Sai~
    At one point, I was only using Photoshop.
    I find Paint Tool Sai much easier to use when it comes to sketching/painting.

I totally use SAI, if I need to add some smexy effects, then I use Photoshop CS6, but depends if I need retouches or not.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Hello,

I have used Photoshop for years but I've been using Corel Painter the most, Easy Paint tool Sai and Manga Studio 5 are also ones I use frequently.

I have been using Photoshop since version 3 (that's Photoshop 3 from 199x, not CCS 3 ) but I am gradually moving to Manga Studio now that it handles color so much better than it did. It still doesn't handle text effects all that well, tho, so I'm still using Photoshop for creating logos and such.

-TG

Weasyl
    Harrie
    Depends on the piece.
    For rough sketches and paintings I use SAI, for more refined paintings I'll use a combination of SAI and Photoshop CS6 (mostly just finishing touches in Photoshop, as SAI paints better but Photoshop has nicer textured brushes).

For animation I use TVPaint, and for pixel art I use GraphicsGale. I also sometimes use PS for post-processing, though I prefer not to rely on filters and layer effects.

I'm really excited for SAI2 though, I expect I'll all but cut out Photoshop when it comes out.