Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a New PC

Need a New PC

Hey guys and gals,

I've got a problem... Essentially, my computer is going to bite the dust any day now and I really need a replacement as soon as possible.

Money no object I'd buy anything, however I have around 600 to 800 at an extreme push to spend on a laptop, or desktop (and repairs to my aging Packard Bell TM80).

If anyone can suggest any good laptops, desktops and places to purchase replacements of the following I'd be incredibly grateful!

• Replacement battery AS10D31 (Acer).
    • The rubber bits around the laptop screen
    • A replacement AC Adaptor (Preferrably HIPRO HP-A0652R3B

The new machine would need to be suitable for C#, and Java Development, and able to run games well so I don't die of boredom

Thanks loads to anyone who can help!

Weasyl
    Onnes
    You might want to expand on what your needs are for development and gaming. Just about every laptop nowadays has a processor with an IGPU capable of running quite a lot of games, just not at max settings.
    Haswell is coming sometime later this year which should be a big boost for Intel systems in terms of power efficiency and GPU performance.

I'd ideally like 8, or 16GB of RAM, and a quad core processor with a decent amount of oomph behind it. i5 would be the minimum I'd consider from the Intel range.

The thing is, since I've been living in 2008 with my current specs and a laptop which isn't easily upgradable, I've lost track of what's at the top, mid and low ends of the spectrum.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a laptop as a desktop with high specs will do too if they make up for the lack of portability.

Anything that improves upon the TM80 would be beneficial. It has:
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI mobility Radeon HD4250 graphics
    AMD athlon II X2 P340 Processor
    320gb HDD

I built an AMD gaming rig for around 600 that can play the Likes of Skyrim and Arkham City on Ultra and Very High (respectively with AA disabled and FXAA on) at 60fps.

Here's the PC and its specs.
    http://benanderson89.tumblr.com/post...ld-i-wanted-to

Please note that since I made that post, I've replaced the hard disk with 2x 500GB HDDs in RAID 0 and I've added a PCIe dual band Wireless Card.

The system was also easilly overclocked to 4.1GHz for the CPU, 1600MHz for the RAM (with 8 8 8 22 30 timings), 1.05GHz GPU clock with 2.4GHz GPU Memory speed. Fantastic system by all means and the AMD Phenom range are solid, reliable processors that will net you increadible performance for the money.

Get a PSU that puts out more amperage and replace the GPU with something like an AMD Radeon 7900 series graphics card and you're golden for a fair few years.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightpaws View Post
    I'd ideally like 8, or 16GB of RAM, and a quad core processor with a decent amount of oomph behind it. i5 would be the minimum I'd consider from the Intel range.

The thing is, since I've been living in 2008 with my current specs and a laptop which isn't easily upgradable, I've lost track of what's at the top, mid and low ends of the spectrum.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a laptop as a desktop with high specs will do too if they make up for the lack of portability.

Anything that improves upon the TM80 would be beneficial.It has:
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI mobility Radeon HD4250 graphics
    AMD athlon II X2 P340 Processor
    320gb HDD
    This doesn't help all that much. What do you actually want to do with it, specifically?What games, what applications, and in what usage scenarios (e.g. portable on battery versus at home as a desktop).

Quote Originally Posted by Onnes View Post
    This doesn't help all that much. What do you actually want to do with it, specifically?What games, what applications, and in what usage scenarios (e.g. portable on battery versus at home as a desktop).
    He clearly states Java and C# development as well as video games and that he'd go no lower than an i5 - that is plenty of help.
    If he is wanting to play video games well, then a laptop capable of such with a decent graphics chip will be outside his budget (no integrated graphics solution is good - no matter how much Intel sing Haswell's praises).

Desktop with a Core i5 Sandy or Ivy, or an AMD Phenom X4 or X6 or an AMD Bulldozer 6000 series (or better) will be fine. For graphics at that budget, an AMD Radeon 7800 series.
    Last edited by benanderson; 03-07-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: meant 7800 series, not 7900

Thanks benanderson

Any ideas about parts for the old laptop? If I opt for a desktop I'd like to try and prolong the life of the old one for taking to university.

If you need an idea of the programs;

• Basics like iTunes, Office 2010, Windows Media Player (The usual light usage)
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate x64 (Possibly 2012)
    • Microsoft Expression Blend 4
    • Visual Paradigm 9
    • Eclipse (Java Development Toolkit)
    • PlayStation Mobile Development Suite
    • Burnout Paradise
    • Portal 2
    • Guild Wars 2
    • Team Fortress 2
    • VirtualBox/Virtual PC

Thtat's what I can think of off the top of my head, and most of them turn my current PC into a blast furnace.

Packard bell is a throw away brand (part of Asus or Acer I think), the best place for parts would be eBay. Maybe Maplin for little things like the rubber pads.

If your current PC is turning into a mobile grilling plate then maybe you should open it up and clean all the dust off with an air duster (which, again, you can get from Maplin for a tenna).

Even the GTX550Ti in my AMD rig would be enough to run all those games fine, since all of them aren't every graphically demanding and the card is dirt cheap (89.99 for the Asus version I have).

I would honestly recommend a desktop over a laptop. Far more versatile for both gaming and development - even little things like being able to add more hard disks make a desktop a far more justifiable proposition. Plus, in future, you can just rip out the GPU and slap in a new one for a fraction of the price of a new laptop with the same graphical capabilities.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by benanderson View Post
    He clearly states Java and C# development as well as video games and that he'd go no lower than an i5 - that is plenty of help.
    If he is wanting to play video games well, then a laptop capable of such with a decent graphics chip will be outside his budget (no integrated graphics solution is good - no matter how much Intel sing Haswell's praises).

Desktop with a Core i5 Sandy or Ivy, or an AMD Phenom X4 or X6 or an AMD Bulldozer 6000 series (or better) will be fine. For graphics at that budget, an AMD Radeon 7800 series.
    Were portability of no value and a discrete graphics card necessary for gaming then the computer market would look a hell of a lot different than it does. None of the games he lists require a high-power card to run; all that gets you is higher graphics settings, if those even exist.

In terms of actual gaming laptops, the lower cost options tend to be Sager/Clevo systems. For example:
    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6165-...wconfigure=yes. You might need to look around for a Euro retailer. Just make sure whatever you are looking at has a decent screen.
    If you eschew the discrete graphics then you can find much cheaper options, although for integrated graphics it would probably pay to wait for Haswell and possibly whatever AMD is going to answer with.

Nitepaws, I just wanted to add a little FYI info for you, just so you know. If you're looking at laptops, all i5 laptops are dual core processors. On desktops, all I5's are quad cores. To get an actual quad core on the laptop (compared to like a dual core with hyper threading) you would need to get an actual i7 laptop.

To see for yourself, here's some links for you. Ivy bridge is intel's "latest and greatest", and offers the best in processing power and low power usage, however being the latest and best, it will also be the most expensive. Sandy bridge is the previous generation and still has significant processing power for any task you'd want, and may be a little cheaper. But I'll link to both so you can inform yourself about intel stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_b...obile_platform <=- Sandy Bridge mobile
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_b...sktop_platform <=- Sandy Bridge Desktop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bri...ile_processors <=- Ivy Bridge Mobile
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bri...top_processors <=- Ivy Bridge Desktop

Also, for mobile.. the intregrated intel graphics at the moment are rather weak and couldn't play the majority of games even on medium. Like someone in this thread posted, Haswell with it's new GT3 graphics will probably change that though.

AMD is generally better at intergrated graphics with their APU's though, but you have to get the higher end AMD APU's to be able to even do half-way decent at games at all.
    Last edited by AquaVixen; 03-07-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Typo